PDA

View Full Version : Simple RAW for Pathfinder Thread V: Golarion Strikes Back

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

LibraryOgre
2016-11-08, 11:24 AM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written). This thread is for all simple RAW questions about Pathfinder.

If your question is about D&D 4e, ask here
If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here.
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread regarding it.
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here.
If you want to find a certain feat or ability, Lists of Stuff and X stat to Y bonus are both useful threads.

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than Pathfinder (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been recently answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play Pathfinder? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large for PC races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3. What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?

{The first several versions of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

The previous thread can be found here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?414719-Simple-Q-amp-A-by-RAW-for-Pathfinder-4)

Please start over with the numbering.

pilvento
2016-11-08, 05:05 PM
Q#1

My Dm has an npc with protection from energy cast on it.
I got a feature that treats inmunity as Resistance 40 minus my caster lvl.
Prot from energy states "grants temporary inmunity...when the spell absorbs x damage, it is discharged"
He ruled that prot from energy is not the same than having an inmunity.

Is he correct?

Psyren
2016-11-08, 06:11 PM
A1: This feature of yours sounds homebrewed, in which case your GM would indeed be the ultimate authority on how it interacts with immunities and pseudo-immunities.

Cieyrin
2016-11-08, 06:13 PM
A 1 Can you name the feature that lets you treat Immunity as Resistance 40? I know I've read that somewhere but I can't remember where from.
In any case, Protection from Energy's Immunity isn't exempt from it, Energy Immunity is Energy Immunity and treated as such for effects, even if it's not a permanent ability.

Coidzor
2016-11-10, 12:04 PM
Q2: Is there a way to count corpses or dead creatures as creatures for the purpose of spell effects?

Q3: Does a creature buried by Hungry Earth (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/h/hungry-earth) stay buried at the end of the spell's duration?

unseenmage
2016-11-10, 12:10 PM
A2

Would Animate Objects do the trick for you? Aninate Dead?

If I may ask, what are you trying to do?

Psyren
2016-11-10, 03:06 PM
A3: As written, no:

Timed Durations

Many durations are measured in rounds, minutes, hours, or other increments. When the time is up, the magic goes away and the spell ends.

In addition, the specific way this spell buries you is via a grapple check; if the spell ends, the earth cannot roll to maintain the grapple and thus the grapple will automatically fail, releasing the victim.

Coidzor
2016-11-10, 07:27 PM
A2

Would Animate Objects do the trick for you? Aninate Dead?

If I may ask, what are you trying to do?

The idea I encountered was being able to cast spells that target/affect creatures on corpses while leaving them inanimate, so neither of those spells would really fit in with that.

Was trying to understand Hungry Earth so I googled it and saw a discussion of Hungry Earth where a claim was put forward that dead creatures still count as creatures for certain spells, so one could use the spell to hide bodies. Didn't seem to be addressed in that thread and I didn't want to Necro it.

unseenmage
2016-11-10, 07:34 PM
The idea I encountered was being able to cast spells that target/affect creatures on corpses while leaving them inanimate, so neither of those spells would really fit in with that.

Was trying to understand Hungry Earth so I googled it and saw a discussion of Hungry Earth where a claim was put forward that dead creatures still count as creatures for certain spells, so one could use the spell to hide bodies. Didn't seem to be addressed in that thread and I didn't want to Necro it.

Hmm, the idea intrigues me. However, by my admittedly limited understanding of the rules dead stuff becomes objects.

However it wouldnt surprise me if, by RAW, when a creature dies no rule explicitly makes it an object instead of a, now modified by not having ability scores, creature.

DrDeth
2016-11-11, 05:04 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

I dont understand the rules here and i dont understand the sub-forum.

None of the subforums specify Pathfinder.

Where is it that I post Pathfinder Questions and discussion?

I mean you say "This thread is for all simple RAW questions about Pathfinder."

But then you say "If your question is about D&D 4e, ask here"
I am confused.

Andrew Markham
2016-11-11, 09:55 PM
Q4:

A creature is tagged with Dimensional Anchor for 13 minutes. It runs away, breaking line of sight, and has a 6 round head start. Does this count as a "functioning spell" for the purposes of Detect Magic? Can they track this creature from the lingering aura of Dimensional Anchor? How often will they need to stop and concentrate to continue tracking the aura?

Coidzor
2016-11-12, 12:34 AM
I am confused.

Copypasta error most likely explains the erroneous mention of 4e in the OP. The description for this subforum means Pathfinder discussions go in this sub-forum.

D&D 3e/3.5e/d20

The forum for conversations specifically related to the rules and procedures of Dungeons & Dragons 3rd Edition, 3.5 Edition, or any fantasy game using the d20 system or a variant thereof (commercially published or not).

Red Bear
2016-11-12, 12:51 PM
Q5 I can't find the guidelines to determine the price of a magic item with 2 (or more) bonuses.
For example an item that grants an ability bonus costs: bonus squared x 1000
What's the price of an item that grants 2 or more ability bonuses of +2? do you add the separate prices together and multiply the sum by a fixed number (like 1.5)?

I am confused.

"here" should have a link to the thread where you can ask D&D 4e questions. That is also true for the other "here" that follow. This thread is about simple pathfinder questions

Red Bear
2016-11-12, 12:55 PM

I am confused.

"here" should have a link to the thread where you can ask D&D 4e questions. That is also true for the other "here" that follow. This thread is about simple pathfinder questions

Cieyrin
2016-11-12, 07:59 PM
A 5 It's under Adding New Abilities in the Magic Item chapter of the Core Rule Book. Having multiple abilities on the same item costs 1.5 what it would cost normally. So say you have a Belt of Incredible Dex +2 (which costs 4000 gp) and want to add +2 Con. According to the formula, +2 Con is 4000 gp but it's in the same slot, so you pay 6000 gp (4000 x 1.5) to make it +2 Dex/Con, for a total price of 10,000 gp, which is the price for a Belt of Physical Might.

Psyren
2016-11-13, 06:36 PM
A4: The (de)buff moves with the creature - there will be nothing to detect if the creature itself has moved away. The "lingering aura" is for free-standing/area spells, like Hallow or Entangle.

More importantly, if the party is running after someone who has been prevented from teleporting away, you should probably use the Chase rules instead.

TheFamilarRaven
2016-11-14, 05:47 AM
mmm new thread smell...

Q 6: Meta-magic doesn't actually increase the level of a spell correct? So if I hae a supped up maximized, intensified fireball. Assumign Iproepared the spell that way, could I use a Pearl of Power to regain the ability to cast that meta-magiced spell?

Cieyrin
2016-11-14, 05:44 PM
A 6 No, a metamagiced spell is actually the size of the slot it's in. An Intensified, Maximized Fireball fits in a 7th level spell slot (not including mitigators), so it takes a Pearl of Power(7th) or Runestone of Power (7th) to recharge the slot, as according to this FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9r9w).

Psyren
2016-11-14, 06:05 PM
Basically, you get all the downsides of the higher spell level, with none of the upsides, because you already got your benefit (namely, the metamagic effect itself.)

Shadowscale
2016-11-14, 11:11 PM
Q7 I appologize if outside the scope of the thread, but does pathfinder have anything close ability or flavor wise to the 3.5 dragon shaman?

Psyren
2016-11-14, 11:56 PM
A7: Nothing first-party, aura-based classes aren't really a PF thing. You could probably create something workable using 3rd-party though.

Razanir
2016-11-15, 12:00 PM
Q8. Does the feat Pass for Human negate the time penalty from the rogue talent Quick Disguise for dressing as a different race? Or if I have both of those, could I disguise myself as a human of the same age and sex in a full-round action?

Psyren
2016-11-15, 02:12 PM
A8: Yes, you would get the faster time. The minute disguise time would count as a "penalty for disguising yourself as another race" (since not doing so would be faster), and therefore Pass For Human negates it.

killem2
2016-11-17, 10:46 AM
Q 9.: Does Tremorsense negate concealment? Obscuring Mist for example.

Slithery D
2016-11-17, 12:02 PM
A9: No, it just pinpoints their square. So you can attack them (with a weapon, attack roll spell, or area of effect spell), but they still get 50% miss chance and immunity to individual targeted spells.

Psyren
2016-11-17, 12:16 PM
A9: This one is hotly debated and unfortunately we haven't gotten an official clarification yet. Some people run it like blindsight, some like blindsense; in both cases, you can use it to identify someone's square, but only one lets you ignore any concealment they might have.

Personally I go with the blindsense ruling as only blindsight and touchsight specifically mention defeating concealment, but your GM could reasonably go either way.

Cieyrin
2016-11-17, 06:52 PM
Q 10 What's the CL of any of Living Monolith (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/i-m/living-monolith)'s spell-like abilities? Class Level? Character Level? I was wondering for the Enlarge Person initially but none of them seem to have one listed that I can see...

Firest Kathon
2016-11-18, 04:10 AM
A10 It's the first line in the Class Features section:

The caster level for powers that duplicate spell effects is equal to the living monolith's character level.

Coidzor
2016-11-20, 10:03 PM
Q11: What rules or guidelines would cover turning an uncovered pit into a pit trap?

Q12: Are there any rules or guidelines that would cover altering the surface area of a pit trap(as opposed to it's depth) and the effect it would have on CR, or is the CR definitely the same whether it's a 10x10 area pit or a 100x100 area pit?

Q13: Are Wizards the only spellcasters who can research new or variant spells by RAW?

jamieth
2016-11-21, 01:00 AM
Q14: Sword-devil ranger archetype (published in the Worldscape #1 comic) has an ability Slashing Fury which affects "a single light or one handed slashing weapon". Is it supposed to mean "(Light) or (one-handed slashing) weapon", or "(light or one-handed) slashing weapon"? I would suppose it's the second, except the iconic sword-devil in the same book has "Slashing Fury (longsword, shortsword)". Shortsword isn't a slashing weapon.

Psyren
2016-11-21, 03:43 AM
A13: No - the line you're thinking of that only mentions wizards is on CRB 219, however the line on CRB 221 opens it up to all arcane and divine casters. Furthermore, both Game Mastery Guide and Ultimate Campaign expanded the spell research guidelines considerably. (There's also the Sorcerer's "unusual spells through study" clause on CRB 71, but that one isn't necessary as previously noted.)

A14: The shortsword thing was likely a typo, though I haven't seen the comic in question and have no idea what sort of design process comics go through. However, I will say that I've always found it odd that a shortsword is piercing-only when a dagger is both piercing and slashing. 3.5 had this same issue and I think Paizo copied it without really thinking it through.

jamieth
2016-11-21, 04:04 AM
A14: The shortsword thing was likely a typo, though I haven't seen the comic in question and have no idea what sort of design process comics go through. However, I will say that I've always found it odd that a shortsword is piercing-only when a dagger is both piercing and slashing. 3.5 had this same issue and I think Paizo copied it without really thinking it through.

Q14 Addendum:

Not to derail the thread, it's unlikely to be a typo since, according to statblock, Slashing Fury does apply to Red Sonja's shortsword attacks. So, more likely Eric Mona (who, apparently, designed this archetype) forgot about SS's being piercing. Thanks!

Psyren
2016-11-21, 09:17 AM
Q14 Addendum:

Not to derail the thread, it's unlikely to be a typo since, according to statblock, Slashing Fury does apply to Red Sonja's shortsword attacks. So, more likely Eric Mona (who, apparently, designed this archetype) forgot about SS's being piercing. Thanks!

Bold is actually what I meant when I said "typo" :smalltongue: It was shorthand.

Razanir
2016-11-23, 04:57 PM
Q15. I know you can't add the same ability score to a roll multiple times, but can I replace the same one multiple times? Like if I have "replace Str with Wis" for attack rolls and "replace Str with Dex" for attack rolls, do I get to add both my Dex and Wis modifiers?

Red Bear
2016-11-23, 09:44 PM
Q16
Does Immune to critical hits mean immunity to sneak attacks as well?

Sayt
2016-11-23, 10:25 PM
A16
Not explicitly. There's no rule which translates immunity to one into immunity to the other. While most creatures immune to critical hits are immune to sneak attacks, some, like Aeons, are immune to one but not the other

Firest Kathon
2016-11-24, 09:04 AM
A15 No. After you repaced Str with Dex, you can no longer replace it with Wis as now Dex has taken its place. You only get to choose either one (but you can switch depending on the situation, e.g. after taking Dex damage).

Serafina
2016-11-24, 05:11 PM
Q17
If a Divine Fighting Technique (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/divine-fighting-technique-combat) is acquired via it's optional prerequisite, what happens if the alignment/worship requirement for said prerequisite is no longer fulfilled?
Normally, if you no longer fulfill the prerequisite of a feat, it becomes inactive (at which point you'll probably retrain it). However, in this case it's somewhat unclear since you replace a class feature with a specific benefit, instead of actually getting the feat - and at least in some cases, you're bypassing other feat prerequisites as well.

Cieyrin
2016-11-25, 08:46 AM
A 17 If you lose access to the domain, alignment or other feature to bypass the normal requirements, it gets suppressed until you atone, just like any other such feature lost that way.

Coidzor
2016-11-26, 02:03 PM
Q18: What feats are necessary to make a Golem Manual? Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Construct, or both?

Red Bear
2016-11-26, 03:39 PM
Q19 does a character with Darkvision not see anything right after its range? Example: A character has Darkvision 30ft, in the darkness the square 35 ft from him, is it completely dark for him?

Q20 How does improved familiar (feat) work? Do I apply all the bonus/abilities according to the wizard level normally or is there some kind of "level adjustment"?

Firest Kathon
2016-11-26, 06:53 PM
A18 Craft Construct, as listed in the construction requirements in the item entry (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/book-golem-manual).

A19 Yes, the vision ends exatly at the listed range, unless they have another way to see into the square (e.g. a light source).

A20 The improved familiar gets the abilities according to your wizard level, without adjustments.

killem2
2016-11-26, 08:23 PM
Q 21: Can one roll for a skill check with Use Magic Device, to use a quicken metamagic rod if you haven't identified it as such yet?

Q 22.: If someone has Claw Claw Bite, Tail attacks. Can they choose to use their tail 4x times in place of claw claw bite?

Cieyrin
2016-11-27, 10:53 AM
A 22 No, you can use each natural attack once in a round normally, the exceptions being for Animal Companions and Eidolons of characters with an effective Druid or Summoner level of 9 that don't have at least 3 natural attacks to qualify for Multiattack or Haste, for example.

killem2
2016-11-27, 04:03 PM
A 22 No, you can use each natural attack once in a round normally, the exceptions being for Animal Companions and Eidolons of characters with an effective Druid or Summoner level of 9 that don't have at least 3 natural attacks to qualify for Multiattack or Haste, for example.

RE Q 22 / A 22: It appears my players have a different concern. The player in question has a greatsword in which he can make two attacks with it as a full attack. He was grappled and this could not use it. Instead he chose to use his bite attack. He wanted to use it multiple times in one round much like he could use his great sword in one round.

What is allowed?

Cieyrin
2016-11-27, 04:49 PM
RE Q 22 / A 22: It appears my players have a different concern. The player in question has a greatsword in which he can make two attacks with it as a full attack. He was grappled and this could not use it. Instead he chose to use his bite attack. He wanted to use it multiple times in one round much like he could use his great sword in one round.

What is allowed?

I'll refer you to the Natural Attacks subsection of the Attack action (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Attack), which says high BAB doesn't increase your number of attacks with natural weapons like it does for manufactured weapons. It's on page 182 of the Core Rulebook as well. With the grappled status, he is correct that he can't use a two-handed weapon but the bite has the advantage where he doesn't have to draw it first to attack whoever is impeding his movements. Being grappled doesn't stop you from using all your natural attacks, since they individually don't require two hands, so he can use his bite, both claws and tail slap just fine, though he would have to drop the greatsword if he wants to use both claws.

killem2
2016-11-27, 05:34 PM
I'll refer you to the Natural Attacks subsection of the Attack action (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Attack), which says high BAB doesn't increase your number of attacks with natural weapons like it does for manufactured weapons. It's on page 182 of the Core Rulebook as well. With the grappled status, he is correct that he can't use a two-handed weapon but the bite has the advantage where he doesn't have to draw it first to attack whoever is impeding his movements. Being grappled doesn't stop you from using all your natural attacks, since they individually don't require two hands, so he can use his bite, both claws and tail slap just fine, though he would have to drop the greatsword if he wants to use both claws.

And if he just has a single bite attack? No claws, now tail, no nothing. Just a bite? Even though with a manufactured weapon he'd get more than one attack, if he only has one bite (natural) attack, that's all he can use correct?

Psyren
2016-11-28, 02:31 AM
And if he just has a single bite attack? No claws, now tail, no nothing. Just a bite? Even though with a manufactured weapon he'd get more than one attack, if he only has one bite (natural) attack, that's all he can use correct?

You get one attack per "limb" in PF; generally, the only way to get more than one bite in a full-attack is to have more than one mouth (barring Haste and the like.)

TheFamilarRaven
2016-11-28, 02:03 PM
A 21: Metamagic rods are use-activated magic items that do not explicitly state they need a command word, thus no UMD check is required to activate it, even if the effects of the rod are unknown. Anyone casting a spell can use the rod to determine its effects, provided they knew they were holding some form of metamagic rod.

Coidzor
2016-11-28, 02:08 PM
Q23: Can metamagic be added to magic items that cast spells? If so, where are the rules or guidelines that cover that?

TheFamilarRaven
2016-11-28, 02:23 PM
A 23 Yes. The rules may be found here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/metamagic-feats), under Magic Items and Metamagic spells.

mistermysterio
2016-11-29, 01:19 PM
Q 24 Can a Bag of Holding be placed inside of a Glove of Storing? The gloves can hold any one item that is 20 pounds or less... the bag can hold a bunch of items, but counts as a single item that is 15 pounds (Bag type I) or 5 pounds (Handy Haversack).

TheFamilarRaven
2016-11-29, 01:45 PM
A 24 Yes. The gloves of storing merely shrink the bag of holding, as per normal use of the item.

Cieyrin
2016-11-29, 06:00 PM
Q 25a The coins altered by Coin Shot (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/c/coin-shot) become Simple Thrown Weapons. Does that mean I get Strength to damage?

Q 25b Can I select the altered coins for feats like Weapon Focus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/weapon-focus-combat---final)? Can I use Deadly Aim (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/deadly-aim-combat) with them? Is it a Light weapon for Two Weapon Fighting purposes?

Q 25c Can I temporarily enchant the altered coins with spells like Flame Arrow (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/f/flame-arrow) or Greater Magic Weapon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/m/magic-weapon)? Are the altered coins a valid target for a Magus' Arcane Pool (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus#TOC-Arcane-Pool-Su-)?

Psyren
2016-11-29, 06:37 PM
A25a: As written yes, you'd get Str because thrown weapons get that.

A25b(i): You can use Weapon Focus - they are thrown weapons - but it's a bit niche as your WF would only work with coin weapons.
A25b(ii): Deadly Aim will work as long as you're not targeting touch AC (e.g. they are outside that first ranged increment.)
A25b(iii): They don't count as light weapons unless they say they are, at least by RAW.

A25c: Yes to all but these effects will only last until you attack once, so you could end up burning through a lot of resources trying to enchant your purse. Note also that they are only treated as ammunition for drawing them, so you'd have to buff the coins individually.

Flame Arrow is a weird case. You'd either need exactly 50 coins (i.e. 17 castings of the spell), or it wouldn't work at all because they aren't ammunition (they're just drawn that way.)

Coidzor
2016-11-30, 06:09 AM
Q26: Does preventing a creature from being able to heal naturally, such as through Bestow Curse, then cause that creature to be unable to heal ability damage without magical intervention?

Cieyrin
2016-11-30, 07:43 AM
A 26 Yes, though I think there's alchemical remedies to ability damage as well, so quasi-magical intervention should still work.

Red Bear
2016-11-30, 09:25 PM
Q27 Is there a way for a medium character wielding a reach weapon to have a reach grater than 10 feet (like 15 or 20) without becoming large? (and I mean a "real" reach threatening with a melee weapon so no whip or snap shot)

Sayt
2016-11-30, 10:26 PM
A27:A few, the first too come to mind would be: the lunge feat (Offensive), the longarm spell (Offensive and Defensive), and the Combat patrol feat tree (Defensive), and the Aberrant Bloodrager gains a rage power (And can learn/cast longarm, as it happens)

Red Bear
2016-12-05, 03:04 PM
Q28
If I take 10 levels of Arcane archers that gives me 7 times " +1 level of existing class " under "spells per day". Does my caster level increase by 7 or 10 or 0 ?

Psyren
2016-12-05, 04:31 PM
A28: You will only get +7 CL from Arcane Archer. You can get an additional two however from the Magical Knack (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/magic-traits/magical-knack) trait; this won't increase your spell progression but your caster level (e.g. spell duration, range, power etc.) will take less of a hit.

You can also take less of a hit by taking fewer Arcane Archer levels - most of the abilities, especially the capstone, are not worth losing all three CL. A good breakpoint is AA 4.

Slithery D
2016-12-05, 07:08 PM
A28 Addendum Advice: The about to be released Paths of Prestige player companion includes, according to subscribers who have copies, a two feat chain that gives back one lost level of casting progession in a prestige class. You can take the final feat more than once, so at the cost of four feats (yikes) you could get back all three lost casting levels, allowing full spells known and prepared/cast.

Genth
2016-12-07, 12:32 AM
Q29

Are there any Huge-Sized Apes in Pathfinder? I have a Vanara Druid/Monk in a Gestalt game, and turning into a Huge Ape would be... appropriate and amusing.

TheFamilarRaven
2016-12-07, 03:34 AM
A29 There doesn't appear to be a huge primate. There is a gargantuan one though. The list of all primates can be found here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/primates).

Coidzor
2016-12-08, 01:17 AM
Q30: What would be the cost of an absolutely bog standard Tiny Animated Object Robot and what is required to make it in terms of feats and materials?

unseenmage
2016-12-08, 08:34 AM
A30

Are you asking how much an Animated Object costs if it has the Robot subtype?

By CR it would be CR*CR*500 for it's market price. Half that for it's Cost to Create. In addition the body cost is the above price *0.1 for the cost of the body.
Then compare its price to similar Constructs just like you would when pricing a custom Magic Item. This info comes from the Building and Modifying Constructs section but is intended for DM use. I recommend using it across the board however as most Construct pricing is dumb and should be hated. (I'm looking at you random *1.5 price hike for the Clockwork subtype!)

Otherwise you price it just like an Animated Object of its size then add the 20,000*CR to add the Robot subtype.

For the Animated Object part you just need Craft Construct and access to the technological bits to be animated.
For the Robot part you need Craft Robot (http://archivesofnethys.com/FeatDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Craft%20Robot) and access to technology. You will also require access to a Robotics Laboratory and enough power to run it.
Robotics laboratories are technological artifacts and as such cannot be crafted.
However, since technological items aren't magical they can be Animate Object-ed so one could theoretically Gate in an Animated Object Technological Artifact or even make a Simulacrum of one. Theoretically.
Beware this is cheesey and opens a rather nasty Pandoras' Box as the Extinction Wave Device is also a Tech Artifact and nobody wants Simulacrums of those running around.

Fayd
2016-12-08, 10:00 AM
I hate to be "that guy" but your links in the "If you have questions about ______" section are broken and not linking.

MesiDoomstalker
2016-12-08, 09:17 PM
Q31: If you have a speed greater than 30 (say 40), what is your speed when wearing Medium or Heavy armor?

Sayt
2016-12-08, 11:17 PM
A*31: The rules for barding indicate that a creature in medium or heavy armour with a 40ft. move speed moves 30 ft per round.

Extrapolating from the table, every +10 ft. of bonus speed you get translates to 5 ft. of speed while encumbered by armor.

Red Bear
2016-12-09, 03:45 PM
A31 there is a table for 40, 50 and 60 ft and they became 30, 35 and 40.

So it looks like that you get 5 feet for every 10 feet after 40.

EDIT: Actually I found a table that goes up to 120ft and is not exactly like that. (the table is in the carrying capacity chapter)

Kekmaster
2016-12-09, 04:48 PM
Q32
Does the bonus damage from enchantments like Bane(magic), Linked striking(psionic), or Collision(psionic) get multiplied on critical hits? What about feats like Power Attack\Piranha strike\Deadly Aim? And the enchantments like Flaming or Frost?

Manyasone
2016-12-09, 05:50 PM
A32

Bane, flame/frost/shock... don't get multiplied.
Collision, power attack/piranha/deadly aim does.
The former is because of the 'bonus dice' same as sneak attack.
Linked striking I think, since it's bonus dice, don't multiply. But the additional enhancement does

Red Bear
2016-12-09, 08:07 PM
Q33 does a magic item giving a bonus to a single saving throw exist?

Sayt
2016-12-09, 09:30 PM
A33: Several (For example, mind buttressing (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-armor/magic-armor-and-shield-special-abilities/mind-buttressing) armor, the Deathbane talisman (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/talisman-deathbalm) and Seducer's Bane (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/seducer-s-bane), however they are invariably resistance bonuses, which do not stack with cloaks of resistance, and are often limited in scope.

Firest Kathon
2016-12-10, 11:20 AM
A32 Addendum Bane has two effects: It increases the enhancement bonus by 2, and adds 2d6 damage. The damage bonus from the increased enahncement is multipled on a critical hit, while the bonus damage is not.

Example: +1 Undead-bane Longsword
Against non-undead: 1d8+1, critical 2d8+2
Against undead: 1d8+2d6+3, critical 2d8+2d6+6

MrNobody
2016-12-10, 11:27 AM
Q 34: I'm preparing a Paladin (Holy gun) for a game that will start soon. A question regarding the "Gunsmithing feat".
In the "special" entry, it says:

If you are a gunslinger, this feat grants the following additional benefit. You can use this feat to repair and restore your initial, battered weapon. It costs 300 gp and 1 day of work to upgrade it to a masterwork firearm of its type.

The question is: since also the holy gun gains a battered weapon "identical to the one gained by the Gunslinger", can it also take advantage of the "special" part?

My assumption is that the feat specifies "if you are a gunslinger" only because the gunslinger is the only core class that gains a battered weapon as a class feature.

Cieyrin
2016-12-10, 12:13 PM
A 34 The intent is that you should be able to but not all archetypes that get the battered gun and Gunsmithing seem able to. Spellslingers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/wizard/archetypes/paizo---wizard-archetypes/spellslinger) and Gunmasters (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/vigilante/archetypes/vigilante-archetypes---paizo-inc/gunmaster) specifically say they can restore their firearm as if they were Gunslingers. Holy Guns (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin/archetypes/paizo---paladin-archetypes/holy-gun) and Steel Hounds (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/investigator/archetypes/paizo---investigator-archetypes/steel-hound) just get Gunsmithing and a battered gun, with no mention of the ability to upgrade it.

Q 35 When putting armor special abilities onto Bracers of Armor (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bracers-of-armor), like Titanic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-armor/magic-armor-and-shield-special-abilities/titanic), there is no enhancement bonus to transfer or add with the special, because Bracers don't have an enhancement bonus, they provide an armor bonus, correct?

killem2
2016-12-11, 12:58 AM
Q. 36: If a player decides to hold a touch spell (say daylight), and then with holds action to until an ally runs by him to charge into an attack. Can he use that withheld action to simply touch an object on the player running by to make daylight spell go off?

Q. 37: Can you split flurry of blows attacks among multiple targets, even if you happen to kill the target before getting to use all attacks?

Q. 38: Can an unchained monk use flying kick in conjunction with an acrobatics check (long jumping/high jumping) to hit a flying creature that is more than 5ft of the ground or even off the ground at all?

Q. 39: If one runs in combat, does that also prevent the use of charging, dragon style, or any other actions that also require the use of a full round action?

Q. 40: Can Dispel Magic be used on wall of ice?

Cieyrin
2016-12-11, 10:38 AM
A 36 You can't delay mid-action, nor can you interrupt someone else's action while delayed. If you have Daylight already cast and Ready to touch your charging friend, that would work.

A 37 Yes, it's just like using Two-Weapon Fighting normally.

A 38 Yes, as long as you end up adjacent to it. The movement Flying Kick allows is treated as any other kind of movement.

A 39 Run is a full-round action, you can't also charge. If you have the swift action to enter Dragon Style or already in it, you would still ignore difficult terrain for the run you're about to do.

A 40 Yes, it's not instantaneous like Wall of Stone is, it has a duration, so you can end it prematurely with a Dispel Magic.

TheFamilarRaven
2016-12-11, 05:11 PM
A 35 RAW seems to support your reading: Armor bonus != Enhancement bonus. Thus Titanic Bracers of Armor +1 cannot add +1 to strength checks, CMB, etc... but the other abilities of the property remain in effect.

(However, a permissive DM wouldn't be breaking anything if they rule the Armor Bonus counts as Enhancement bonus for the purposes of Bracer of Armor with the titanic property).

zergling.exe
2016-12-11, 05:22 PM
A 35 RAW seems to support your reading: Armor bonus != Enhancement bonus. Thus Titanic Bracers of Armor +1 cannot add +1 to strength checks, CMB, etc... but the other abilities of the property remain in effect.

(However, a permissive DM wouldn't be breaking anything if they rule the Armor Bonus counts as Enhancement bonus for the purposes of Bracer of Armor with the titanic property).

You would kinda break it. Bracers of Armor go up to +8, which is more than items normally grant to strength. Capping it at +5 would work to keep it in line with regular armor.

TheFamilarRaven
2016-12-11, 06:33 PM
You would kinda break it. Bracers of Armor go up to +8, which is more than items normally grant to strength. Capping it at +5 would work to keep it in line with regular armor.

Not necessarily. Bracers of Armor cap at +8 and cannot go over. Titanic is a +3 property, so the highest Armor bonus from a pair of Bracer of Armor with the Titanic property is +5, just as suit of armor cannot have enhancement greater than +5. Though if there's a counter point, I'll gladly hear it in a PM or another thread, as to not derail this one more than I have :smalltongue:

killem2
2016-12-11, 08:01 PM
Q. 41 What would you add on to the 15'ft cone spell templates, to make them 20ft?

Coidzor
2016-12-11, 09:24 PM
Q 42: How do you reverse the genesis of the ability scores of a Machine Soldier (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/robot/machine-soldier-animated-object-fighter-1) in order to determine what they were before racial adjustments and/or determine the racial adjustment?

Psyren
2016-12-11, 10:33 PM
A41: Make the perpendicular arms 4 squares long instead of 3 (4*5 = 20), and fill in the area between them accordingly.

A42: You'd reverse-engineer them like any other monster - i.e. -10 for even scores, -11 for odd ones. The only exception is the Intelligence, which comes entirely from their robot subtype - so just treat that score like their Con, i.e. a nonability, and add the 13 back in later.

flamewolf393
2016-12-13, 01:05 PM
Q43

How much does it cost to hire npcs/mercs with actual class levels? I seem to recall there was a formula for it somewhere, but I cant find anything but the basic hireling list that doesnt cover it.

Agahnim
2016-12-13, 05:16 PM
Q44 :
What happens if a paladin commits evil acts while dominated by a vampire spawn? According to the class description, a paladin loses class features if she wilfully commits an evil act. But the atonement spell clearly states that the spell can be a cast (although without the 2,500 gp fee) for a creature who "committed the evil act unwittingly or under some form of compulsion".
I'm not trying to force my player to atone just for the sake of it, but if his character was to lose his class features while under the control of the vampire spawns, he might be exposed to the city's plague. Yeah, we're playing Seven days to the grave.
What do you recommend?

TheFamilarRaven
2016-12-13, 05:28 PM
A 43 I could not find a list for hiring NPC's with PC levels either. I suspect it was either obscure 3rd party (i.e homebrew), specific to a certain scenario within a campaign, or simply doesn't exist. Companions with PC levels are usually cohorts, and that requires the leadership feat.

Alternatively, you could be thinking of hiring a spellcaster to cast a specific spell (Higher level spells would indeed require PC class levels), in which case the cost is on the Goods & Services page. However, per day GP rates for NPCs with class levels doesn't seem to be a thing.

A 44 The paladin does not fall for unwilling acts of evil. They would lose access to class features if the DM for some reason ruled they're no longer LG after committing unwilling acts of evil, in which case the atonement spell can swoop in and say "nope, I'm LG again" at no material cost, due to the unwilling/compulsion clause.

Cieyrin
2016-12-13, 06:36 PM
A 43 addendum Having recently read Player Companion: Cohorts and Companions, they have an expanded system based off of Ultimate Campaign's Contact system for acquiring hirelings, including those of higher than 1st level and with PC classes. It boils down to how risky a task is to determine the rate per day of service multiplied by their class level per hireling. For example, if you wanted to hire a group of 5 3rd level fighters to guard an entrance to a dungeon your party is exploring and care for your horses, that would probably be a Hazardous task, which is 1 gp/day/hireling, which upgrades 3 gp/day/hireling for this group.

Stealth Marmot
2016-12-15, 07:54 AM
Q45 Does a successful use of a spellcraft check to identify a wand or staff reveal the number of charges left?

Red Bear
2016-12-15, 12:29 PM
Q46 Is there an official RAW AC for grid intersections? if so, what is it?

Cieyrin
2016-12-15, 05:56 PM
A 45 Spellcraft via Detect Magic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/detect-magic), Greater Detect Magic (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/d/detect-magic), Identify (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/i/identify), Arcane Sight (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/arcane-sight) and Greater Arcane Sight (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/arcane-sight), as far as my reading can tell, will not tell you how many charges a wand or staff has, just what it does and, in the case of Identify, the command word. Analyze Dweomer (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/analyze-dweomer), however, will tell you all that plus the number of charges, if it has any.

A 46 Targeting a grid intersection is indeed covered by the rules, specifically in the Combat chapter for Throwing Splash Weapons of the Core Rule Book, page 202. It is AC 5: Base AC 10 with a Dexterity of 0, which is a -5 modifier, thus AC 5.

Topaz
2016-12-15, 10:10 PM
Q 47 Is there clear RAW for whether a Rogue can use Disable Device on an Arcane Locked door (as opposed to smashing the door down or using Knock or Dispel Magic)?

Firest Kathon
2016-12-16, 05:02 AM
A47 Yes, right in the spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/arcane-lock) description:

If the locked object has a lock, the DC to open that lock increases by 10 while it remains attached to the object. If the object does not have a lock, this spell creates one that can only be opened with a DC 20 Disable Device skill check.
After opening the lock, the door is no longer secured, therefor the second part of the spell does not apply ("A door or object secured with this spell ...")

Cieyrin
2016-12-22, 03:17 PM
Q 48 Does Student of the Astral Suit (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/feats/student-of-the-astral-suit) or levels of Metaforge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/psionic-prestige-classes/metaforge) advance the features an Aegis' Astral Suit (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/psionics-unleashed/classes/aegis/astral-suits) has, like the Astral Armor being treated as a masterwork breastplate at Aegis 8?

Firest Kathon
2016-12-23, 07:17 AM
A 48 No. Student of the Astral Suit advances only for customizations, Metaforge advances customizations and damage reduction. The "treat as masterwork" is neither, so it does not apply.

unseenmage
2016-12-23, 12:36 PM
Q49
Is there a spell or spells that would allow one to create or conjure a mundane cage around a subject?

Literally just looking to catch victims inside mundane equipment cages using magic.

Coidzor
2016-12-23, 08:37 PM
Q49
Is there a spell or spells that would allow one to create or conjure a mundane cage around a subject?

Literally just looking to catch victims inside mundane equipment cages using magic.

A49: As of November 12th, 2016, there was no spell that specifically does that on d20pfsrd.com. Fabricate would be able to make a cage, but at 1 round per 10 cubic feet of material, that may take a bit too long depending upon the size of the creature and how thick the bars need to be. Even a very liberal interpretation of Create Armaments to create a cage as an Improvised Weapon would still take 1 minute and not involve putting it around a target.

unseenmage
2016-12-24, 07:33 PM
A49: As of November 12th, 2016, there was no spell that specifically does that on d20pfsrd.com. Fabricate would be able to make a cage, but at 1 round per 10 cubic feet of material, that may take a bit too long depending upon the size of the creature and how thick the bars need to be. Even a very liberal interpretation of Create Armaments to create a cage as an Improvised Weapon would still take 1 minute and not involve putting it around a target.

A49
Is there a reason Teleport Object (coreRulebook/spells/teleportObject.html) couldn't perform this task?
Edit: In hindsight I did forget to include Teleportation in my original question. My apologies.

Q50
Would Apport Object (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/SpellDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Apport%20Object) work on a cage that has been affected by Shrink Item?

Psyren
2016-12-24, 09:27 PM
A49: You could animate some mundane cages with Animate Objects and have them grapple your foes inside, then wait for the spell to end.

Sayt
2016-12-24, 09:57 PM
Q51 can you threaten/score critical hits when damaging using the grapple rules? The fact that CM checks are attack rolls would seem to indicate yes, but I'm not site how well it meshes with wider threat ranges?

Q52 Can a cleric prepare domain spells into higher level slots with metamagic tacked on?

Cieyrin
2016-12-25, 09:51 AM
A 51 No, a critical success on a check to maintain a grapple doesn't mean inflicting critical damage if you choose to damage your target. All it means is you auto-succeed at maintaining the grapple. You also wouldn't do critical damage during a sunder if you critically succeeded.

A 52 Yes. They're still spell slots and as long as you're only putting domain spells in those slots, it doesn't matter if you Extend or Empower them, as long as they are put in a high enough domain slot or higher to contain them.

unseenmage
2016-12-26, 11:52 AM
A49: You could animate some mundane cages with Animate Objects and have them grapple your foes inside, then wait for the spell to end.

The one time I'm trying desperately to avoid minionmancy... :smallamused:

Q53

Whar happens when a primed technology grenade goes off inside a Handy Haversack?
Does the answer change if the Haversack is being worn at the time?

Q54
What's the DC to reverse pickpocket a primed tech grenade as they are quite sizable?

Red Bear
2016-12-26, 02:47 PM
A53 I don't think it can go off: there is no air inside a handy haversack

blackbloodtroll
2016-12-27, 05:47 AM
Is there any other Sorcerer archetype that stacks with the Wildblooded archetype?

Cieyrin
2016-12-27, 10:31 AM
A 53 addendum Not sure where you read handy haversacks (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bag-handy-haversack) don't have air in them, as the pockets function like bags of holding, which have air. I also don't think tech grenades need air to function, though the creature priming and throwing them probably does. As for the effect of a exploding grenade inside the haversack, it depends on the type of grenade going off, as according to the entry for bag of holding (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bag-of-holding), they only have a problem if something pierces them from the inside or outside. So if the grenade was a flechette or fragmentation, that pocket ruptures and everything in it is lost to the Astral Plane. The effect of other grenades probably depends on what else is in the pocket at the time, as while I don't think an atom, bang, bio, EMP, flash or soft grenade would damage that pocket, concussion or the energy types may or may not, which is up to your GM.

A 54 They're only a pound, which isn't any heftier than a dagger or dart. Given if someone is priming a grenade, you're probably in combat, where Slight of Hand (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/sleight-of-hand) isn't usually available if your target is aware of you. If they aren't aware of you, it's the same DC as Lifting a Small Object, which is DC 20. If they are aware of you, it'd be a Disarm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Disarm), as most people holding primed grenades hold them in their hands so they readily throw them where they aren't, in which case you're going against the target's CMD. If you disarm them with a hand not holding anything, you can swipe it and throw it with another attack if you're full-attacking, as you can disarm in place of a melee attack.

Q 55 Is there any other Sorcerer archetype that stacks with the Wildblooded archetype?
Going by my helpful guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?229326-PF-Archetype-Combos-Doing-all-the-work-b-c-reading-charts-is-bloody-annoying&p=12555815#post12555815) for archetype stacking, Wildblooded can be stacked with whatever Sorcerer archetypes, as essentially they're their own bloodline. A FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fz#v5748eaic9rai) says you can't mix with Cross-Blooded, though your GM may think otherwise. If your GM is a stickler for this FAQ, it'll depend on what Wildblooded Bloodline you're taking, as some of them are compatible with False Priest, Seeker and Tattooed Sorcerer, depending on which bloodline powers your wild bloodline trades out when.

Sidenote to self: I have time this week to update the guide potentially with the rest of the ARG and probably the ACG...

Psyren
2016-12-27, 10:49 AM
Sidenote to self: I have time this week to update the guide potentially with the rest of the ARG and probably the ACG...

I would love to help with this effort, feel free to PM me if you'd like. Yours is one of my favorite guides for brainstorming character concepts.

unseenmage
2016-12-27, 11:27 AM

A 54 They're only a pound, which isn't any heftier than a dagger or dart. Given if someone is priming a grenade, you're probably in combat, where Slight of Hand (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/skills/sleight-of-hand) isn't usually available if your target is aware of you. If they aren't aware of you, it's the same DC as Lifting a Small Object, which is DC 20. If they are aware of you, it'd be a Disarm (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Disarm), as most people holding primed grenades hold them in their hands so they readily throw them where they aren't, in which case you're going against the target's CMD. If you disarm them with a hand not holding anything, you can swipe it and throw it with another attack if you're full-attacking, as you can disarm in place of a melee attack.

Thank you for such thorough responses!

However, I was curious about putting primed tech grenades on victims using Slight of Hand more than trying to take a primed tech grenade out of someone's hand.

killem2
2016-12-27, 05:43 PM
Q 55: Does Spell Resistance Protect someone against the magical effect of this Infused Poison?

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/item-creation-feats/infuse-poison-item-creation

Liquid Influence

Price 900 gp; Slot none; CL 5th; Weight —; Aura faint enchantment

DESCRIPTION

This heady liquid brewed from the toxin indigo dreams imparts a compulsion to its victim, decided when the poison is first created.

Type poison, ingested; Save Fortitude DC 13 Onset 10 minutes; Frequency 1/minute for 6 minutes Effect 1d3 Wis damage; Cure 2 consecutive saves Spell Effect suggestion (Will DC 14)

CONSTRUCTION REQUIREMENTS

Cost 525 gp; Feats Brew Potion, Infuse Poison; Spells suggestion

Psyren
2016-12-27, 06:11 PM
A55: They are targeted by the spell, so protections like SR or immunity would apply.

Cieyrin
2016-12-27, 07:47 PM
I would love to help with this effort, feel free to PM me if you'd like. Yours is one of my favorite guides for brainstorming character concepts.

Sure, I'm game for that. There's a lot of entries littering the thread that I really need to pore over and add to the first posts but further analysis would help me just do the editing and formatting.

Thank you for such thorough responses!

However, I was curious about putting primed tech grenades on victims using Slight of Hand more than trying to take a primed tech grenade out of someone's hand.

I had ~6 hours on a train to get home from the holidays, so I had time. :smallsmile:

As for planting grenades on people, there doesn't seem to be a lot of RAW support for that in the skill, as it's all about taking and hiding objects on your body, as opposed to on other people. However, it did remind me of a feat in Ultimate Combat that I've always puzzled over, Deceptive Exchange (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/deceptive-exchange), that does exactly that with Bluff for Feinting. Definitely more costly than skill points for a very niche maneuver, which makes it feel like a Brawler trick to me.

Cieyrin
2016-12-28, 12:17 PM
Q 56 Does Prone Shooter (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/prone-shooter-combat) increase the AC gained from dropping prone as part of a Gunslinger Dodge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger#TOC-Deeds)?

Q 56b Is the bonus to AC vs. ranged attacks from being Prone stack with Gunslinger Dodge or are they same bonus and Ultimate Combat is just reprinting the Prone condition's bonuses?

Psyren
2016-12-28, 01:47 PM
A56a: Only if you then stay prone for the required amount of time. (Prone Shooter won't apply to the initial drop because immediate actions usually happen after your turn is over, not at the end of your turn.)

A56b: It's most likely reminder text but your GM could rule either way.

Red Bear
2016-12-28, 03:48 PM
A 53 addendum Not sure where you read handy haversacks (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bag-handy-haversack) don't have air in them, as the pockets function like bags of holding, which have air.

"If living creatures are placed within the bag, they can survive for up to 10 minutes, after which time they suffocate." I don't know why, but I've always assumed this sentence meant there is no air, I now realize that 10 minutes is a relatively long time. Q57 So why does the creature suffocate? Does it mean that there is a small amount of air and that the bag is airtight?

Cieyrin
2016-12-28, 04:26 PM
A 57 Extrapolating from Portable Hole (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/m-p/portable-hole), which gives more detail, that's how much breathable air is in the bag/hole for a single Medium creature breathing normally. If the entrance to the extradimensional space isn't open, fresh air isn't being replenished, hence suffocation, at least in game terms. If you do other things to provide air (i.e. bottle of air (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/a-b/bottle-of-air), necklace of adaptation (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/m-p/necklace-of-adaptation), air bubble (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/air-bubble), life bubble (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/l/life-bubble), etc.), the local air supply doesn't matter.

Q 58 Does Aspect of the Falcon (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/aspect-of-the-falcon) stack with Bolt Ace's Crossbow Training (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger/archetypes/paizo---gunslinger-archetypes/bolt-ace)?

killem2
2016-12-28, 05:22 PM
Q 59: Does Locate Object allow you to know the general direction of specific object regardless if you are in the spell's range?

Cieyrin
2016-12-28, 05:41 PM
A 59 No, the object must be in the spell's range to detect it, regardless of how familiar with the object you are.

gr8artist
2016-12-28, 05:42 PM
A 58: Yes. AotF doesn't stack with Keen or critical threat modifiers, but doesn't say anything about critical damage modifiers. Crossbow Training improves the crit damage you would have, and does not set it to a flat value.

Slithery D
2016-12-29, 10:59 AM
A 60: This item is written too vaguely to give you a full RAW answer, but I think the most obvious answer is that the migrus gets the HP/BAB/skills(?) of a familiar, but there's absolutely no reason to believe that the master gets any benefits or can share spells, you don't get a link to it, the familiar reference just gives the migrus stats. Improved evasion and SR are sort of a gray area that I'd personally allow.

Calthropstu
2016-12-30, 03:27 AM
Q61

A wizard has a bound tyrannosaurus and enters a battle with 3 other casters. The dinosaur swallows one wizard whole. The wizard then dies. 2 rounds later, the dinosaur is hit with banishment. What happens to the dead wizard?

Coretron03
2016-12-30, 04:00 AM
A61
His body would go to whereever the dinosaur goes I guess because it basicly the same as the dinosaur eating food it doesn't appear on the ground and the dead wizard would count as a object I believe.

unseenmage
2016-12-30, 07:26 AM
Q61

A wizard has a bound tyrannosaurus and enters a battle with 3 other casters. The dinosaur swallows one wizard whole. The wizard then dies. 2 rounds later, the dinosaur is hit with banishment. What happens to the dead wizard?

A61
Corpses are objects. Carried objects are attended objects. So the corpse just goes with the dinosaur.

Calthropstu
2016-12-30, 08:21 AM
A61
Corpses are objects. Carried objects are attended objects. So the corpse just goes with the dinosaur.

So the wizard and all his belongings would go poof?

Would this happen with summons as well?

Slithery D
2016-12-30, 09:24 AM
So the wizard and all his belongings would go poof?

Would this happen with summons as well?

There's an interpretation of summons that they (unlike called creatures) are unreal projections of a real outsider, so they just go "poof" on death or expiration of the spell rather than returning. I'd say things consumed by a summon fall to the ground.

But there isn't a RAW answer on exactly what summons are, so if you want to discuss further it would need a new thread.

Calthropstu
2016-12-30, 12:04 PM
There's an interpretation of summons that they (unlike called creatures) are unreal projections of a real outsider, so they just go "poof" on death or expiration of the spell rather than returning. I'd say things consumed by a summon fall to the ground.

But there isn't a RAW answer on exactly what summons are, so if you want to discuss further it would need a new thread.

Fair enough. Thanks everyone!

Nibbens
2016-12-31, 03:29 PM
Q62 Are there any rulings on Arcane Archers casting from scrolls while using imbue arrow? Possible?

unseenmage
2017-01-01, 02:45 AM
Q63
Can a mundane firearm (in this case a rifle) be used to ignite oil or gunpowder from afar? Or by RAW does one require some sort of incindiary bullet?

Shadowscale
2017-01-01, 03:28 AM
Q64 Any races either first or third party that are monster like close to a troll such as trollkin, bloodlines, or anything? Basically anything monsterous and not orc.

Technetium43
2017-01-01, 03:34 AM
A64 First thing that comes to mind is the Ogre (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/monstrous-races-21-30-rp/ogre-23-rp) from the ARG. Does that work?

Manyasone
2017-01-01, 04:50 AM
A64 First thing that comes to mind is the Ogre (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/monstrous-races-21-30-rp/ogre-23-rp) from the ARG. Does that work?

A64+ maybe the 'Grendle' race from DSP Bloodforge suits your needs.

Cieyrin
2017-01-01, 03:08 PM
A 62 Doesn't look like Imbue Arrow disallows scroll use, as long as it's the Arcane Archer doing the casting and shooting.

A 63 Mundane firearms do bludgeoning and piercing damage, they wouldn't set off oil or black powder. Oil needs to be lit, black powder goes off when fire, electricity or a misfire explosion happens. So, sticking to mundane stuff, if you put a Dragon's Breath cartridge into a blunderbuss or dragon pistol, you could light either up within the cone.

Akasha
2017-01-01, 09:55 PM
Q65 Do you know how Improved Two-Weapon Fighting works?

I'm making Undine 5lv warpriest, point buy(21pt), Use unarmed strike as sacred weapon.
Stat: S6 D22 Co10 I12 W18 Ch8
Item: Agile AoMF, +2 Dex Belt, +1 Mithral Chain Shirt, Masterwork Cold Iron gauntlet, gauntlet, tattoo(Sacred focus)
Feat: IUS(sacred weapon), Weapon Finesse(1lv), WF(unarmed), Combat reflex(3lv), TWF(3lv), Boar style(5lv)

When I get lv6, I can get ITWF. But my BAB is still 4. Can I use secondary off hand attack?

Coretron03
2017-01-02, 02:08 AM
A65 Yes, you can as ITWF is as follows
"Benefit: In addition to the standard single extra attack you get with an off-hand weapon, you get a second attack with it, albeit at a –5 penalty."
It does not say you ned to be able to make a second attack from BAB to gain it, just simply letting you make a extra attack at a -5 penalty with your offhand weapon.

zilios
2017-01-02, 07:23 AM
Q66 Does the Dwarf +2 versus spells and spell like abilites extend to everything magical? For example, magical traps or magic items?

Cieyrin
2017-01-02, 11:23 AM
A 66 Hardy does exactly what it says, it gives you a bonus on the save vs. spells and spell-likes. If the magic item is a scroll, that's casting a spell, so Hardy would activate. Same for a wand or staff. If the item is providing providing a spell-like ability, then Hardy would effect it. If it's supernatural, dwarves aren't any more resistant than anyone else. Same for traps, if it's specifically a Spell Effect (using trap nomenclature), then Hardy applies. If it's not, it doesn't.

gr8artist
2017-01-02, 03:46 PM
A 65 addendum
Improved Two-Weapon Fighting (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/improved-two-weapon-fighting-combat---final) has a prerequisite of +6 BAB, so unless you're taking it as some kind of bonus feat that can ignore prerequisites, you won't be able to take it until your question is moot.

EDIT: I looked at Warpriest and realized that your Bonus Feat feature does exactly that in this case, letting you use your class level as your effective BAB. Carry on.
Side Note: Monks - now not even the best at Flurry of Blows

Nibbens
2017-01-04, 08:04 AM
A 62 Doesn't look like Imbue Arrow disallows scroll use, as long as it's the Arcane Archer doing the casting and shooting.

But doesn't reading the scroll to cast a spell require two hands - as does using a bow? The imbue arrow ability allows for the firing the bow as part of casting the spell - requiring it to be in hand for the casting, not necessarily using a scroll then the bow.

I guess my problem I'm seeing something problematic with the act of drawing a scroll, reading it to cast a spell, free action to drop the scroll, draw the bow (Because using a scroll presumably uses a hand or more, and using a bow definitely requires two) and finally cast the spell/fire the bow - all in a single turn without using up more than a standard action.

I'm just wondering if there's any official ruling on whether or not this is feasible or does the action become inoperable once imbue arrow takes more than a standard action to use.

zilios
2017-01-04, 08:58 AM
Q67 As a fighter, I take Weapon Style Mastery feat, with Ascetic Style and Dragon Style-Ferocity as my 2 styles.
Q67a Would this work as I assume it will? Extra damage on my weapon, provided it's a monk weapon?
Q67b How would the STR increase work with a 2handed weapon, where I already add 1,5 STR to the damage roll. Would it go to 2x STR in dragon style and 2.5x STR in ferocity or default to the values listed, essentially making dragon style pretty ineffective.
Q68 Would Ascetic Style and Pummeling Style also work together with the above method?

Psyren
2017-01-04, 10:15 AM
I'm just wondering if there's any official ruling on whether or not this is feasible or does the action become inoperable once imbue arrow takes more than a standard action to use.

There isn't one. Personally I don't consider spell completion to be equivalent to casting a spell for this purpose but it's unfortunately unclear.

Side Note: Monks - now not even the best at Flurry of Blows

Unchained Flurry says hi :smalltongue:

A67a: Yes, this will let you have Dragon Style and Ascetic Style "up" simultaneously, and thus allow you to apply the DS bonus to your monk weapon.
A67b: It won't stack, no. The Dragon Ferocity boost (to 2x) will apply though.
A68: No, Pummeling Style explicitly does not work with anything other than unarmed strikes no matter what other abilities you may possess. This highly specific provision overrides Ascetic Style even if you can have it active concurrently.

unseenmage
2017-01-06, 01:58 AM
More Tech Grenade hot potato...

Q69
Would priming/throwing a tech grenade affected by Invisibility be mechanically more complicated than normal?

Q70
How (what rolls/checks) would an enemy detect and/or identify an invisible tech grenade that's been chucked at them?

Q71
Would an invisible fuse give off a visible smoke or spark as it burned?

Q72
Would an invisible grenade have an invisible explosion?

Red Bear
2017-01-06, 03:05 AM
A69 I don't think there are penalties for throwing a invisible object.

A70 detecting the presence via hearing would be exactly the same. Locating the grenade by RAW would be the same perception DC for locating a visible grenade +20.

A71 the light emitted by the spark would visible. The smoke would be visible as it is something leaving the object.

A72 I don't know if there is a RAW answer, if would probably be visible though

Haruspex_Pariah
2017-01-07, 10:03 PM
Q73: Can you add 1-1/2 Str Bonus on a Sword Saint's Iaijutsu Strike? The only stated limitation of the class is that the benefits only apply when "using a sword and carrying nothing in his other hand". As I understand it, the RL iaijutsu strike is done one-handed, but by RAW it seems you can iaijutsu strike with an exclusively two-handed sword, which entails a two-handed grip. A two-handed grip on a one-handed sword should also be allowed?

Fenryr
2017-01-08, 11:02 AM
Q74

Smoke effects. (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/environment/environmental-rules#TOC-Smoke-Effects)

A character who breathes heavy smoke must make a Fortitude save each round (DC 15, +1 per previous check) or spend that round choking and coughing. A character who chokes for 2 consecutive rounds takes 1d6 points of nonlethal damage. Smoke obscures vision, giving concealment (20% miss chance) to characters within it.

You fail Fortitude save, you spend your round choking and coughing. Can you still use Immediate actions and/or Attacks of Opportunity?

Cieyrin
2017-01-08, 11:07 AM
A 73 No, carry nothing in your other hand means carry nothing in your other hand. That hand has to be free, so you can't use it to hold onto your sword.

A 74 Yes.

Coidzor
2017-01-09, 03:41 AM
Q75: Are there explicit construction rules for creating Sentient Waxwork Creatures (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/sentient-waxwork-cr-0/sentient-waxwork-cr-0-1)? If so, do they remain under their creator's control or are they free-willed and uncontrolled?

Q76: Is there a cost given for wax anywhere other than sealing wax in the CRB?

unseenmage
2017-01-09, 08:09 AM
A75a
Only sentient wax I can ind is the Sentient Wax Golem (http://archivesofnethys.com/MonsterDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Sentient%20Wax%20Gole m) which already has a price in its entry.

In the Building and Modifying Constructs section of the PRD there is info for pricing Constructs by their CR. CR*CR*500 for their price. That numbe *0.1 for the cost of their body (*0.5 of the materials are cheap). And that number divided in half for their cost to create.

Where are Sentient Waxwork Creatures found? My apologies if I assumed incorrectly that they were Constructs.

Edit:
A75b
"Rarely, waxworks shaped like intelligent creatures develop minds of their own and can gain levels in character classes." This would be a GM's call as to whether it means a Sentient Waxwork created via the above method would remain under the creator's control or have free will. The quoted text doesn't outright say it has free will but it sure does seem to be meant that way. In a game of mine I'd say that it could be created but it'd have a will of its own.

For my part I use the Amalgam template (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/amalgam-creature-cr-special) from Advanced Bestiary to Construct-i-fy things. Either I combine the creature I'm after with a Construct that is explicitly controllable or combine it with something with Int of '--' to remove its free will.

Cieyrin
2017-01-09, 09:08 AM
A75
Only sentient wax I can find is the Sentient Wax Golem (http://archivesofnethys.com/MonsterDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Sentient%20Wax%20Gole m) which already has a price in its entry.

In the Building and Modifying Constructs section of the PRD there is info for pricing Constructs by their CR. CR*CR*500 for their price. That number *0.1 for the cost of their body (*0.5 of the materials are cheap). And that number divided in half for their cost to create.

Where are Sentient Waxwork Creatures found? My apologies if I assumed incorrectly that they were Constructs.

They're from Horror Adventures. I don't own a copy of the book but according to this entry (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/sentient-waxwork-cr-0/sentient-waxwork-cr-0-1), they're 500 gp per HD. If they're Waxwork Candles, it costs an extra 500 gp and you have to provide Produce Flame as well. It doesn't appear the creator has any special control of Sentient Waxwork that you make.

A 76 I can't find any other entry for wax (other than Alchemical Candle Wax (http://archivesofnethys.com/EquipmentMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Alchemical%20ca ndle%20wax)) but they come in solid blocks of wax, which should work just as well for Waxwork.

Psyren
2017-01-09, 10:06 AM
A74 dispute: I don't think you can - Immediate actions and AoOs are still part of the round, they just aren't part of your turn. I may be missing a specific allowance though.

Serafina
2017-01-09, 01:18 PM
A 75
The actual entry in Horror Adventures has no "Construction" entry for the Sentient Waxwork - only for the Waxwork Candle (+1,000 gp price/500 gp cost), and a general one for Waxwork Creature ( cost 500 gp/HD, plus cost of wax which isn't stated). If PFSRD or Archives of Nethys give a different impression, that's a matter of poor layout.
This means there's no rules for specifically crafting Sentient Waxworks, since you can't build the variant. Awkaken Construct (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/a/awaken-construct) yields pretty much the same result, but it does explicitly break your control over the construct.

If you want to have controlled constructs with feats and some skills, you can use Terra-Cotta Soldiers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/terra-cotta-soldier). They have an Intelligence score of 1 (thus gaining 1 skill rank/level and feats), but are still explicitly under their creators control. You can also clearly make variants with different feats than those listed. Finally, there's a Large version (the Terra-Cotta Horseman) that has 10 HD, and the rules for building and modifying constructs (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs) allow you to just add more HD.
Up to 4 extra HD on the soldier cost 1,250 gp each, up to 5 extra HD on the horseman only cost 1,000 gp each. You can RAW not add more HD, since it'd increase the constructs size. At the very least this adds to HP, BAB and saves - everything else is up to your GM.

unseenmage
2017-01-09, 11:25 PM
Q76
Are there any creatures that are disarmed using the same rules for disarming traps?

Am working on a comprehensive list of traps and i have Mechanical and Magic traps, Haunts, and even Hazards listed. Wasnt sure if there were any creatures that actually get to be defused as traps though.

Firest Kathon
2017-01-10, 05:27 AM
A76 Yes [search (https://www.google.de/search?hl=de&q=site:d20pfsrd.com%20%22Disable%20Device%22#hl=de&q=site:d20pfsrd.com+%22Disable+Device+DC%22+inurl: bestiary)], the Animated Shrine Stone (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/shrine-stone-animated). There are also Clockwork Automatons (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/clockwork-automaton-cr-0) which you can activate using Disable Device, and any construct can be at least hindered by using the Disabling Stunt (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/rogue/rogue-talents/paizo---rogue-talents/disabling-stunt-ex) rogue trait.

Sky
2017-01-10, 12:02 PM
A76 Addendum Bestiary 5 also has the Urannag (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/constructs/urannag), an Abyssal construct-demon thing that can be damaged with a successful Disable Device check.

Zhentarim
2017-01-10, 09:36 PM
Blade Boot: Does having this, two weapon fighting, and two other arms grant 3 attacks per round?

Sayt
2017-01-10, 09:51 PM
Q77

Blade Boot: Does having this, two weapon fighting, and two other arms grant 3 attacks per round?

A77: No. The two weapon fighting rules allows you to make one additional attack per round with your second weapon. The only way to gain attacks with further weapons is to have natural weapons or to take the multiweapon fighting feat, which requires 3 or more hands.

Griffin
2017-01-11, 10:52 AM
Q78

Sup people!

I'm a skald and I have the feat Furious Finish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/furious-finish), whenever I use this feat my rage (raging song) ends, however, if I have lingering performance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/lingering-performance), my raging song extends 2 additional turns after I finish it, can I use Furious Finish a second time? I presume that using it a second time (if possible at all) will end the extra turns from lingering performance, am I correct?

Thanks

Psyren
2017-01-11, 11:32 AM
A78: Your song (performance) doesn't actually continue with lingering performance, rather only the bonuses and penalties do. So there will be nothing to end a second time, the performance was already over, it's just the bonuses that go away later.

Cardea
2017-01-11, 06:14 PM
Q79:

Seems like a dumb question, but I want an official answer to hand a player. Does a Chainsaw need to be activated in order to be used as a weapon?

Cieyrin
2017-01-11, 11:28 PM
A 79 Chainsaws are technological weapons with a capacity and usage statistic. Under Power Sources in the Technology Guide:
Most of the technological wonders presented here require energy to function. Thus, it needs to be activated to be used at its full ability. The Tech Guide doesn't say what to do if you try to use an unactivated chainsaw as a weapon but I'm sure you can come up with a reasonable approximation (like greatsword stats seem pretty reasonable) as GM fiat pertains.

Haruspex_Pariah
2017-01-12, 10:26 AM
Q 80

When you use the Oaken Shield counter (and I suppose similar abilities activated in response to an attack) from Path of War, do you activate it before you know if the attack hits or can you do it after?

I.e.

DM declares attack. You declare Oaken Shield. DM rolls.

or

DM declares attack. Rolls. Hits. You declare Oaken Shield?

EDIT: It's a Piercing Thunder maneuver, if that helps.

Tuvarkz
2017-01-12, 01:00 PM
A80
For counters that cancel an attack, it's the second (As counters cannot be made against a natural 20). There's one Riven Hourglass counter, Flicker Defense, that is the exception however.
For counters that replace a saving throw, you need to call the counter before rolling the save, and roll as appropriate instead of your saving throw.

Haruspex_Pariah
2017-01-13, 12:23 AM
Q 81

When making a Perform check to earn money it says that the DC is increased by 2 for each failure. Which means that it's possible to fail. Does this mean that you have to set a target DC before making the Perform check, as opposed to simply rolling and getting the amount listed in the table (which is what I thought it was all along)?

I.e. before making the check for that day you have to choose if you're going to try for an enjoyable performance or a great performance. If you aim for a great performance but get 16, do you get 1d10 sp or just nothing at all?

ThePrez1776
2017-01-13, 02:01 AM
Q82 Do liches and other undead get the CHA bonus to HP retroactively? eg. If a character is level 10 when they become undead, do they use the CHA bonus from then on out, or does it also increase the HP already gained up to level 10?

Coretron03
2017-01-13, 03:10 AM
A82 The undead traits says it says to use charasmia for dertermining hit points and hit points are retroactive by default so yes they would.

Florian
2017-01-13, 12:39 PM
A81:

You make one check per day, rolling your skill and consulting the table to see how you performed and what you have earned.

Now, either you retry b/c of total failure or because you aimed for a higher result, both of which you´ll do at -2 DC.

Florian
2017-01-13, 12:45 PM
A82:

Becoming Undead, a creature or character is rebuild from the ground up, according to the rules of the Undead type or whatever is especially stated in the Hit Dice section for it´s new type or template.

For a Lich, that means recalculating all racial HD to d8s, dropping Con and the Con Mod and recalculating everything with Cha mod.

Zhentarim
2017-01-13, 02:50 PM
Is a DWARF druid proficient with an Earthbreaker?

Florian
2017-01-13, 02:56 PM
Is a DWARF druid proficient with an Earthbreaker?

A93: No.

An Earthbreaker is a regional weapon, common to the Shanty tribes. I do not know why you think this should have anything to do with dwarves or druids.

Zhentarim
2017-01-13, 07:27 PM
A93: No.

An Earthbreaker is a regional weapon, common to the Shanty tribes. I do not know why you think this should have anything to do with dwarves or druids.

Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves are proficient with battleaxes, heavy picks, and warhammers, and treat any weapon with the word “dwarven” in its name as a martial weapon.

Doesn't Earthbreaker count as a warhammer?

Technetium43
2017-01-13, 08:05 PM
Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves are proficient with battleaxes, heavy picks, and warhammers, and treat any weapon with the word “dwarven” in its name as a martial weapon.

Doesn't Earthbreaker count as a warhammer?

No. Warhammers are a specific weapon that have absolutely nothing to do with the earthbreaker. They're about as close together as a shotgun and a dagger.

jamieth
2017-01-14, 06:14 PM
Q95: whose Strength witch's Prehensile Hair hex use to calculate attack and damage boni - Witch's or it's own (which is equal to Wich's Int)?
Q95B: assuming a witch doesn't have other natural attacks, does the hair use full BAB and 1 1/2 Str to damage as per the rule for a single natural attack, or BAB-5 and 1/2 Str as per rule for secondary natural weapons?

Zhentarim
2017-01-14, 10:23 PM
Can you wield a two handed weapon and a buckler?

Can you, while wiedling a two handed weapon and a buckler, cast cure light wounds on yourself by removing your hand as a free action, casting the spell, and putting it back on your weapon?

Coretron03
2017-01-15, 04:11 AM
A95 Yes you can, although you take a -1 penalty on to attack rolls and you lose the buckler sheild bonus if you attack with it until next turn, although I think there is a feat that prevents this.

A96 Yes, you can as a buckler allows somatic compoents to be filled and two handed weapons only need two hands when attacking but you olose the sheild bonus until your next turn, like attacking but you don't need to take the bucklr off at all.

Coretron03
2017-01-15, 04:29 AM
Q97 Power attack says natural weapons that have 1 1/2 str to damage get the -1/+3 damage ratio. Now the brawler ability for unarmed strikes says unarmed strikes count as natural weapons for spells and effects. If I have 1 1/2 str to unarmed strikes do I get the improved ratio for power attack?

Tuvarkz
2017-01-15, 06:12 AM
A97

No. Only a True Dragon's bite and creatures with a single form of natural attack get 1.5 STR to damage and -1/+3 from power attack (Before feats and other abilities).
From the same Brawler: A brawler may attack with fists, elbows, knees, and feet.
Even if your unarmed strikes count as natural weapons, you have more than one source of them, and as such you don't get neither 1.5 STR to damage nor +3 damage from power attack.

Coretron03
2017-01-15, 07:23 AM
I was referring to using the greater unarmed strike which let brawlers and monks add 1 1/2 times their str mod to the unarmed strike to be exact, so yes I can. The question wasn't about whether or not I could add 1/2 more str mod it was whether unarmed strikes would work with power attack if they are natural weapons, although I see how you could be confused.

Florian
2017-01-15, 09:13 AM
I was referring to using the greater unarmed strike which let brawlers and monks add 1 1/2 times their str mod to the unarmed strike to be exact, so yes I can. The question wasn't about whether or not I could add 1/2 more str mod it was whether unarmed strikes would work with power attack if they are natural weapons, although I see how you could be confused.

No, Tuvarkz is right on this account. There can't be a RAW answer to your question as you reference a 3pp feat, while Power Attack has a specific clause covering high-damage attack by monsters.

The creators of the feat should have included an option stating that it does or doens't work with it, so no reasonable answer can be given.

Cieyrin
2017-01-15, 11:53 AM
Q95: whose Strength witch's Prehensile Hair hex use to calculate attack and damage boni - Witch's or it's own (which is equal to Witch's Int)?
Q95B: assuming a witch doesn't have other natural attacks, does the hair use full BAB and 1 1/2 Str to damage as per the rule for a single natural attack, or BAB-5 and 1/2 Str as per rule for secondary natural weapons?

Prehensile Hair's Strength as a natural attack is the Witch's Intelligence, so essentially use the Witch's Intelligence to calculate attack and damage.

According to a FAQ from Sean K Reynolds (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2qdcw?Witchs-Prehensile-Hair-hex-and-secondary#13), if you only attack with your Prehensile Hair, it becomes a Primary with full BAB and 1.5 Str. If you use other weapons alongside the Hair, it's a Secondary Natural Attack, with BAB-5 and 1/2 Str.

Tuvarkz
2017-01-15, 11:57 AM

First, when listing a 3pp feat, mind also bringing up which publisher? As of the moment, both DSP and Flaming Crab Games have a feat with that name (You refer to the latter, but it's not obvious to everyone at first glance)
To note, this rules issue seems to also happen with Dragon Ferocity, and it's been discussed in official forums to no consensus nor official paizo answer (http://paizo.com/threads/rzs2rmf5&page=1?Dragon-Ferocity-and-Power-Attack-after-the).

unseenmage
2017-01-17, 01:20 PM
Q98

If a creature is hit by a Disintegrate spell and disintegrated are its posessions disintegrated too?

Segrain
2017-01-17, 01:48 PM
A98
They are not.

Any creature reduced to 0 or fewer hit points by this spell is entirely disintegrated, leaving behind only a trace of fine dust. A disintegrated creature's equipment is unaffected.

Cieyrin
2017-01-17, 02:38 PM
Q 99 Is someone immune to fear (like a Paladin with Aura of Courage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/paladin#TOC-Aura-of-Courage-Su-)) also immune to Intimidating Force (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/black-seraph-maneuvers/intimidating-force)'s attack negation?

Q 100 Does fear immunity make you not subject to the use of the Intimidate skill or just the Demoralize Opponent usage of it?

Psyren
2017-01-17, 03:49 PM
A99/100: Fear immunity blocks "all uses" (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1fm#v5748eaic9svt) of Intimidate, as well as anything that inflicts a fear-based condition (shaken, frightened, panicked) whether it is called a fear effect or not.

Tuvarkz
2017-01-17, 04:32 PM
Regarding A99-The pfsrd is down atm, but I recall Intimidating Force not being a Fear effect, as well as it working on the attack and not the opponent, unlike the Fear the Reaper maneuver (same maneuver level), which targets the opponent and has both a wider use and slightly stronger effect (as well as has the Fear tag, and explicit wording on affecting the opponent). Likely Intimidating Force works even on attacks from fear-immune enemies as it doesn't target the enemies themselves.

Psyren
2017-01-17, 05:16 PM
Regarding A99-The pfsrd is down atm, but I recall Intimidating Force not being a Fear effect, as well as it working on the attack and not the opponent, unlike the Fear the Reaper maneuver (same maneuver level), which targets the opponent and has both a wider use and slightly stronger effect (as well as has the Fear tag, and explicit wording on affecting the opponent). Likely Intimidating Force works even on attacks from fear-immune enemies as it doesn't target the enemies themselves.

I wouldn't allow it - it works due to the initiator's countenance "inspiring fear", and more importantly from a RAW standpoint, it is a use of Intimidate. DSP may rule differently than I would though.

Zhentarim
2017-01-17, 08:18 PM
If you wildshape into a salmon, can you breath underwater?

What size is a Salmon?

What size is a whale?

Kriegerr
2017-01-17, 09:25 PM
Q. #102
Is it possible to discern the class of a caster after successfully identifying the spell he's casting with a Spellcraft check?

My wizard wants to belittle a sorcerer for being such, but I need an in-game reason for his insight.

Cieyrin
2017-01-17, 09:50 PM
A 101a Polymorph effects that grant swim speeds grant the ability to breathe while in water, so yes.

A 101b While there is no official stats for Salmon, there is for Pufferfish (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/fish/fish-pufferfish), which are a similar size, which I'd say makes them Tiny.

A 101c It depends on the whale. The common whale in Bestiary 2 (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/cetacean/whale) is Gargantuan, which puts it outside normal Wild Shaping. Orcas (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/cetacean/dolphin/orca), in the Bestiary meanwhile, are Huge and Narwhals (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/animals/cetacean/cetacean-narwhale) from Bestiary 5 are Large.

A 102 Spellcraft won't tell you the class of the caster of the spell you identify, just what the spell is. There are other telltale signs of class, like if they need a divine symbol of some sort or if they didn't bother with material components but otherwise you'll just have to figure it out via other means.

Haruspex_Pariah
2017-01-18, 10:54 AM
Q 103

Does a level 7 Pack Mule (fighter archetype) run at x4 or x3 while carrying a heavy load (assuming light or no armor)? The pertinent excerpt is "At 7th level, a pack mule can move at his normal speed while carrying a heavy load."

kkplx
2017-01-18, 02:48 PM
Q 104

Does the Blade skill "Focused Offense" mean that you add 1.5x your STR mod to attacks with weapons you wield in 2 hands?

Florian
2017-01-18, 03:33 PM
A104:

Once an exeption is given, it does nor automatically carry over to other rules without being especially called out to do so.

In case of this archetype, it means that one aspect of the heavy load condition is ignored, not the whole condition and everything that comes from it. So that Fighter can move w/o restriction, but is still considered to carry a heavy load when it comes to running,

Cieyrin
2017-01-18, 04:03 PM
Q 104

Does the Blade skill "Focused Offense" mean that you add 1.5x your STR mod to attacks with weapons you wield in 2 hands?

It has the same wording as Unchained Rogue's Finesse Training, which has an FAQ (http://paizo.com/paizo/faq/v5748nruor1h3) specifying that the handedness affects the modifier like it would for Str, so it follows that Focused Offense does the same thing.

unseenmage
2017-01-20, 11:59 PM
Q105

If either the Alter Ego template (http://archivesofnethys.com/MonsterDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Annis%20Hag%20Alter%2 0Ego) or the Trompe L'oeil template (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/trompe-l-oeil-cr-1) are applied to a normally commanded creature can the resultant Construct also be commanded in the same fashion? By the same person?

Q106

Do the Integrated Weapons of Robots (http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MonsterDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Juggernaut%20Robot) or weapons and armor incorporated into a Construct using the Armor Modification or Weapon Modification (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/building-and-modifying-constructs) qualify for the Trompe L'oeil's Enhancement Bonuses?

Psyren
2017-01-21, 06:54 PM
A103: It's not absolutely clear, but "normal speed" should include running speed.

A105: Even assuming you could apply these templates to a creature that currently exists in the world, and do so while it is under such an effect (how?), it would likely depend on the specific method you're using to command them. For instance, something like Dominate Person would cease to work because the monster has become a construct and is now an invalid target for the spell.

A106: Integrated weapons appear to be treated as natural weapons except for targeting purposes, which means they would not get the bonus.

Zhentarim
2017-01-22, 11:33 AM
Q107 Are arrows destroyed when you use them, or can you retrieve them after battle?

Firest Kathon
2017-01-22, 05:06 PM
A 107 It depends on whether it hits or misses:

Generally speaking, ammunition (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/weapons/weapon-descriptions/ammunition) that hits its target is destroyed or rendered useless, while ammunition that misses has a 50% chance of being destroyed or lost.

Zhentarim
2017-01-22, 05:15 PM
A 107 It depends on whether it hits or misses:

What about thrown spears?

Cieyrin
2017-01-22, 05:25 PM
What about thrown spears?

Thrown weapons in general (except shuriken, which follow ammunition rules that Firest Kathon quoted) are reusable, they don't break on impact.

Firest Kathon
2017-01-23, 05:22 AM
Q 108 What about thrown spears?

A 108 Thrown weapons in general (except shuriken, which follow ammunition rules that Firest Kathon quoted) are reusable, they don't break on impact.
A 108 addendum To expand on the answer: Thrown weapons are not ammunition, and as such (normally) do not break when using them.

Morphic tide
2017-01-23, 08:44 AM
Q 109: Does the "echo" spell from Echoing Spell count as a spell slot?

Q 110: What happens with a scroll or other magic item being used to cast an Echoing Spell?

Q 111: Does the "Echo" spell from Echoing Spell qualify as a prepared spell for abilities that have you expend prepared spells?

Q 112: Going into 3.PF, can an "Echo" spell be fed to Versatile Spellcaster to cast a spell?

Coretron03
2017-01-25, 01:18 AM
Q 113 How can you count as a Hag? Using as levels as possible? Any type of hag works.

Rookwood
2017-01-25, 03:11 AM
Q114 How exactly does the Sun Blade's "special sunlight ability" work? It seems vague.
Specifically, what action is "swinging the sword above your head"? Does it provoke AoOs? What does the dim glow do? Is it just dim light (assumabley, but I'm not fully sure)? Or raise the light level by a step? I need some clarification on this.

Cieyrin
2017-01-25, 10:31 AM
A 109 A spell and its echo are contained in the same slot, regardless of whether you're prepared or spontaneous. It's not creating another slot, it's letting you use the same slot twice for the spell modified by Echoing Spell.

A 110 An Echoing spell scribed on a scroll wouldn't have that instance expended when you cast it till you cast the Echo as well. Magic items that use charges, like wands, I don't think there's a clear answer for.

A 111 The spell and its echo reside in the same slot, so for a prepared caster, the slot isn't expended till you also use the echo.

A 112 The spell slot isn't expended till you also use the echo, so you can feed that slot into Versatile Spellcaster. You couldn't feed the original spell and the echo into Versatile Spellcaster to get a higher slot, as it's still one slot.

A 113 Either by being one of the various types of hags or have the Coven hex (at least for joining a hag's coven).

A 114 It is vague, it's wording hasn't changed since D&D 3.0, pretty much. Anyways, a Sun Blade's Sunlight ability is a combination of command word and use activated; as such, it falls under the Activate a Magic Item action, which is a Standard action that doesn't provoke. To keep swinging it is to Concentrate on it, which is also a Standard action that doesn't provoke. The dim glow being dim light makes the most sense, as either its making Bright Light while being Concentrated on or Dim Light while it lingers. It makes no indication that a Sun Blade's Sunlight increases the light level outside its radius, so by RAW it doesn't. RAI it probably should but, again, it's 3.0 wording that barely changed from 2nd Ed and earlier.

Morphic tide
2017-01-25, 10:43 AM
A 109 A spell and its echo are contained in the same slot, regardless of whether you're prepared or spontaneous. It's not creating another slot, it's letting you use the same slot twice for the spell modified by Echoing Spell.

A 110 An Echoing spell scribed on a scroll wouldn't have that instance expended when you cast it till you cast the Echo as well. Magic items that use charges, like wands, I don't think there's a clear answer for.

A 111 The spell and its echo reside in the same slot, so for a prepared caster, the slot isn't expended till you also use the echo.

A 112 The spell slot isn't expended till you also use the echo, so you can feed that slot into Versatile Spellcaster. You couldn't feed the original spell and the echo into Versatile Spellcaster to get a higher slot, as it's still one slot.

So what you're saying is that Echoing Spell lets you cast a spell and spend the slot on something else? Because this gets quite broken when you have access to other things to spend spell slots on, like Reserve feats and some magic items. It bloats flexibility quite impressively.

Cieyrin
2017-01-25, 11:58 AM
So what you're saying is that Echoing Spell lets you cast a spell and spend the slot on something else? Because this gets quite broken when you have access to other things to spend spell slots on, like Reserve feats and some magic items. It bloats flexibility quite impressively.

If that something else is cast the exact same spell, yes, or do you mean to use the slot after casting the original spell?
I'm not sure how it breaks Reserve feats, as being a Spontaneous caster was generally enough to be able to use it all day. Getting to use the same slot twice I guess makes them more valuable for prepared casters, though Wizards already had the Split Slot arcane discovery, which more efficiently split it and it didn't have to be the same spell in the new slots you made.

Morphic tide
2017-01-25, 12:16 PM
If that something else is cast the exact same spell, yes, or do you mean to use the slot after casting the original spell?
I'm not sure how it breaks Reserve feats, as being a Spontaneous caster was generally enough to be able to use it all day. Getting to use the same slot twice I guess makes them more valuable for prepared casters, though Wizards already had the Split Slot arcane discovery, which more efficiently split it and it didn't have to be the same spell in the new slots you made.

Well, it's crazy because it basically lets you cast the spells, then use the slot again for either recasting the same spell or something that normally requires spending a spell slot or prepared spells. Metamagic rods also get some odd uses, in that you can apply one metamagic to one casting and a different one to the other casting.

Cieyrin
2017-01-25, 01:48 PM
Well, it's crazy because it basically lets you cast the spells, then use the slot again for either recasting the same spell or something that normally requires spending a spell slot or prepared spells. Metamagic rods also get some odd uses, in that you can apply one metamagic to one casting and a different one to the other casting.

I suppose, but I think you'd need metamagic reducers to get something really cool going but metamagic reducers are silly, anyways. Either way, further discussion on Echoing Spell should probably move to its own thread at this point.

Uncle Pine
2017-01-25, 05:16 PM
Q 113 Can I use the Master Craftsman feat (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/master-craftsman---final) to Craft Magic Arms and Armor with Profession (midwife) or Craft (shoes) or to Craft Wondrous Items with Profession (farmer) or Craft (ships)?

Psyren
2017-01-25, 10:20 PM
A113: Since you must be able to use the chosen skill to make the item, your GM has to sign off on whatever you select. Your choices seem unlikely to work without a very permissive one; I recommend something much more generic and martially-inclined, like Profession (Hunter) to craft magic bows, leather, and fetish accessories, or Profession (Blacksmith) to make various metal swords, armor, steel necklaces and the like.

Kaskus
2017-01-26, 01:23 AM
Q114: Does the "Energy" Psionic weapon enhancement placed on a firearm allow it to be fired repeatedly without ever needing to reload?

Cieyrin
2017-01-26, 10:14 AM
A 114 Yes.

Andrew Markham
2017-01-26, 01:40 PM
Q115: How much does it cost to add a feat to a magic item? Does this cost increase depending on prerequisites?

Morphic tide
2017-01-26, 02:00 PM
Q115: How much does it cost to add a feat to a magic item? Does this cost increase depending on prerequisites?

Only way to do that by RAW I can think of is with Continuous items of a feat-granting spell, in which case the cost depends heavily on the spell and how the spell works. Heroics draws from the Fighter feat list, but that probably doesn't have a PF version.

Tuvarkz
2017-01-26, 02:11 PM
A115
The Training special ability from Inner Sea Intrigue lets you gain a specific combat feat while holding the weapon, for +1 bonus in cost.

Andrew Markham
2017-01-26, 05:32 PM
We thought it must be possible because of the Alertness ioun stone.

ellindsey
2017-01-27, 01:59 PM
Q116: Is there any way to get a Tattoo Familiar as a Witch, other than by taking a single-level dip of the Tattooed Sorcerer class?

Q117: Can a Tattoed Sorcerer take the Sage bloodline? I'm not sure if the changes to Arcane Bond conflict, or if one overrides the other.

Psyren
2017-01-27, 03:07 PM
A116: The Tattooed Mystic prestige class will do the trick, along with Favored Prestige Class to remove the dead level so that you don't lose any caster progression. It won't progress your hexes though.

ellindsey
2017-01-27, 03:44 PM
A116: The Tattooed Mystic prestige class will do the trick, along with Favored Prestige Class to remove the dead level so that you don't lose any caster progression. It won't progress your hexes though.

I considered that, but it's a painful pile of feat taxes. Spell Focus + Magic Tattoo to qualify for the class, then Favored Prestige Class + Prestigious Spellcaster to get rid of the dead levels. I think I'd actually be better off with the Tattoed Sorcerer dip, especially if I can take the Sage bloodline.

unseenmage
2017-01-28, 10:36 AM
Q118
PC is aquatic humanoid. They plan to grab sailors and dive overboard and drown them while grappling.

Do grappling creatures sink while grappling underwater? On the surface of water?

Fenryr
2017-01-28, 05:24 PM
Q119

Does a double weapon counts as "wielding two weapons" for class abilities? (In this particular case Inner Sphear Stance (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/path-of-war/disciplines-and-maneuvers/thrashing-dragon-maneuvers#TOC-Inner-Sphere-Stance) or Two-Weapon Tricks from Weapon Trick (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/weapon-trick-combat))

Cieyrin
2017-01-28, 11:05 PM
A 117 By RAW, no, since they both replace the 1st level bloodline power. However, it's fairly common practice, even in the FAQ about Wildblooded Sorcerers, that Wildblood doesn't disallow combinations, since it's essentially its own bloodline. Your mileage may vary.

A 119 The double weapon special ability specifically says you can use it as if fighting with two weapons, so double weapons work for any instance of needing to use 2 weapons.

Zhentarim
2017-01-29, 12:15 AM
Q120 Does a LN cleric of abadar that channels negative energy begin channeling positive energy if they become good?

Morphic tide
2017-01-29, 10:44 AM
Q120 Does a LN cleric of abadar that channels negative energy begin channeling positive energy if they become good?

Yes. Same goes for Neutral clerics channeling positive energy that become evil.

Zhentarim
2017-01-29, 10:55 AM
Q121 When selecting bonus tricks for a druid's animal companion, can I select attack?

Q122 Is a druid's horse companion considered combat trained?

Cieyrin
2017-01-29, 11:29 AM
A 121 Yes

A 122 Not till 4th level

Zhentarim
2017-01-29, 04:32 PM
Q123 Do the Holy and Axiomatic weapon qualities stack? (I'm fighting demons)

Morphic tide
2017-01-29, 05:38 PM
Q123 Do the Holy and Axiomatic weapon qualities stack? (I'm fighting demons)

Yes, they stack as they are not non-stacking bonus types. The bonus damage is untyped as far as I know, and bonus damage typically stacks anyway, and the enhancement bonus increase explicitly stacks with the base weapon. They also stack for the negative levels, so it can be used for accelerated XP gain from ECL lowering, provided you are opposite alignment from both enhancements.

unseenmage
2017-01-30, 02:03 AM
Q124
Do ethereal creatures slain on the ethereal plane leave a corpse on the ethereal plane?

Firest Kathon
2017-01-30, 03:07 AM
A124 No, as long as they are actually on the ethereal plane (e.g. via Plane Shift). A creature which is only temporarily ethereal (e.g. through an Ethereal Jaunt spell) will reappear on the material plane as soon as the spell expires.

Cieyrin
2017-01-30, 09:37 AM
They also stack for the negative levels, so it can be used for accelerated XP gain from ECL lowering, provided you are opposite alignment from both enhancements.

Q 125 Where does it say that permanent negative levels change your effective level for the amount of experience needed to level up?

Morphic tide
2017-01-30, 10:30 AM
Q 125 Where does it say that permanent negative levels change your effective level for the amount of experience needed to level up?

It probably does nothing to the XP needed to level up, it's that in 3.5 it increases your XP gain by making your ECL below the CR of the enemies, but keeps you able to drop the item to get back to CR appropriate level. Once you drop the item, you go back to your previous level, but you keep gained XP without changes.

zergling.exe
2017-01-30, 11:35 AM
It probably does nothing to the XP needed to level up, it's that in 3.5 it increases your XP gain by making your ECL below the CR of the enemies, but keeps you able to drop the item to get back to CR appropriate level. Once you drop the item, you go back to your previous level, but you keep gained XP without changes.

That's not how negative levels work. Temporary negative levels, such as those by holding an item, do not reduce your ECL, they merely give penalties. Once the negative level becomes permanent it turns into level drain, which does reduce your ECL. Level drain cannot be reverse.

edit: This is also the RAW for Pathfinder, not 3.5.

edit2: Not sure what stuff is right for PF so I'm just X'ing it all out.

Psyren
2017-01-30, 11:39 AM
Negative levels in PF do not change your true level, only your ECL for level-dependent calculations (e.g. caster level.)

For example, if you are 18th level and eat 9 permanent negative levels, you will have a caster level of 9. However, you will still be treated as an 18th-level character in terms of the XP you need to level.

Calthropstu
2017-01-31, 04:41 AM
I want to be sure I handled this correctly.

I ran a tower where every inch of the tower was covered in permanent illusions. The thing was, most of the illusions depicted what was actually there. This held true of walls, doors, doorways...

This served 2 functions:
1 it made detect magic virtually useless and 2 it allowed the caster to hide passages and other spells behind the illusions.

So when the party rogue and barbarian went through a door and announced everything was clear, the party mage walked through after... and immediately noticed all his active spells were gone.

Then the real trap was triggered: dropping the entire room into a series of prismatic spheres by the sorcerer (who was scrying from the room above and had placed the scrying sensor behind an illusion) casting disintegrate on the pillar holding the room up.

This resulted in 3 of the 4 members being instantly annihilated... the 4th was then picked off and killed easily.

My questions are:

Q126 Was I correct in there not being saves against the illusions when the illusions depict exactly what is already there?

Q127: I gave the rogue and barbarian perception checks to notice something was... off. But, because neither had spellcraft or knowledge Arcana, I ruled they noticed something felt odd but they couldn't quite explain it (the door was covered with an invisible wall that dispelled magic as it passed through.)

They notified the wizard before he stepped through too that something seemed odd but everything seemed otherwise ok.
Q127:Is there a Raw for noticing your magic equipment has ceased functioning aside from actively trying to use?

Q128: Is there any feasible way they should have gotten a save from the entire room falling?

unseenmage
2017-01-31, 10:14 AM
Q129
Is therea shark man race for PF?

Psyren
2017-01-31, 10:39 AM
A126-128 clarification: "Illusions" is rather vague. Do you mean Silent Images, Major Images Veils, Mirage Arcana, or something else? Were they figments or glamers? What specific illusions were they?

As a sidenote - TPKing your party in this way doesn't sound like it would be a lot of fun. "GG, now reroll, lol."

A129: Seascarred Skinwalkers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/standard-races-1-10-rp/skinwalkers-10-rp) are a shifter-like offshoot of Weresharks, but are LA 0 with 0 RHD.

Calthropstu
2017-01-31, 11:57 AM
A126-128 clarification: "Illusions" is rather vague. Do you mean Silent Images, Major Images Veils, Mirage Arcana, or something else? Were they figments or glamers? What specific illusions were they?

As a sidenote - TPKing your party in this way doesn't sound like it would be a lot of fun. "GG, now reroll, lol."

A129: Seascarred Skinwalkers (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/other-races/more-races/standard-races-1-10-rp/skinwalkers-10-rp) are a shifter-like offshoot of Weresharks, but are LA 0 with 0 RHD.

Permanent image was cast many many times.

They were 20th level/mythic 10. Death wasn't permanent, though they did happen to lose all their gear.

digiman619
2017-02-01, 01:31 PM
Q130: Does being blocked by multiple people block line of sight? Say there are 4 people in a 5-foot hallway, and the furthest back can teleport to anywhere in close distance that he has line of sight to. Can he teleport to the front of the line?

Coidzor
2017-02-01, 03:47 PM
Q131: Are there rules anywhere explicitly stating that a nonlethal encounter gives XP or not, or if it gives lesser XP than a fight that's explicitly lethal? Or implying it, in any of those cases?

Psyren
2017-02-01, 04:56 PM
A126a: Depends on the actions they took. Ultimate Intrigue has some detail around this, which I'll quote in its entirety.

Disbelief and Interaction: All three of the subschools above tend to have saving throw lines that say “Will disbelief,” but they differ in how those saving throws apply. Phantasms directly assail a creature’s mind, so the creature automatically and immediately receives a saving throw to disbelieve a phantasm. Figments and glamers, however, have the more difficult-to-adjudicate rule that creatures receive a saving throw to disbelieve only if they “interact” with the illusion.

But what does it mean to interact with an illusion? It can’t just mean looking at the illusion, as otherwise there would be no need to make the distinction, but drawing the line can be a bit tricky. Fortunately, the rules can help to define that difference. A creature that spends a move action to carefully study an illusion receives a Will saving throw to disbelieve that illusion, so that is a good benchmark from which to work.

Using that as a basis, interacting generally means spending a move action, standard action, or greater on a character’s part. For example, if there were a major image of an ogre, a character who tried to attack the ogre would receive a saving throw to disbelieve, as would a character who spent 1 minute attempting a Diplomacy check on the ogre. A character who just traded witty banter with the ogre as a free action would not, nor would a character who simply cast spells on herself or her allies and never directly confronted the illusory ogre. For a glamer, interacting generally works the same as for a figment, except that the interaction must be limited to something the glamer affects. For instance, grabbing a creature’s ear would be an interaction for a human using disguise self to appear as an elf, but not for someone using a glamer to change his hair color. Similarly, visually studying someone would not grant a save against a glamer that purely changed her voice.

If they asked for the perception check, they are actively perceiving (move action) and thus get a will save, which you should roll for them so they don't realize OOC that something is up. But if they didn't actively perceive and you simply gave them a reactive one, they haven't interacted.

A126b: Same as above, this depends on whether they interacted (and got a save), or didn't, and didn't.

A127: If he has detect magic up, he should notice the instant the dispel disjunction trap fires. (Presumably that effect is abjuration rather than illusion.) His gear should get will saves as well.

A128: Using a spell like Create Pit as a guideline, they should probably get a Reflex to grab a ledge/hinge if they're no more than 10ft. away from an edge.

A129 already answered.

A130: Teleportation doesn't require line of sight so even if that was completely blocked (which it's not - at best that square would have some percentage of cover) you could still attempt to land there. Most effects even let you just specify a direction and distance without seeing where you're going clearly or at all.

A131: You get XP for overcoming an encounter whether you use lethal force or not. If nonlethal accomplishes the objective (e.g. get past the palace guards) then full XP should be awarded.

Also, think about this logically - if you penalize your players for using nonlethal tactics, what kind of behavior would that encourage?

Miry
2017-02-02, 03:55 PM
Q132

The Elf alternate racial trait Envoy say:

[...]Elves with this racial trait and an Intelligence score of 11 or higher gain the following spell-like abilities once per day: comprehend languages, detect magic, detect poison, and read magic. [...]

Does this mean that:

Once per day, i cast one of those spell.

or

I can cast each of those spell once per day.

Thank you

Zhentarim
2017-02-02, 06:02 PM
Q133 Does Fighter Armor Training apply to Tower Shields?

Cieyrin
2017-02-02, 06:20 PM
A 132 1/day each, as that's the general text used for any of the racial spell-likes.

A 133 RAW, no. Armor Training only applies to the armor you're wearing. Tower Shield Specialists (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo---fighter-archetypes/tower-shield-specialist) specifically do get greater reductions when using tower shields.

However, I've never seen a GM who wouldn't let you reduce the armor check penalty of a shield via Armor Training, as it's kinda silly otherwise.

Sayt
2017-02-02, 10:48 PM
Q134: If a character's mount uses an ability which ends it's turn, is the mounted character's turn also ended?

For instance, a paladin is riding his mount, which makes a charge attack (With the paladin not doing so), and then activates it's swift-runner's shirt to make a move, can the paladin then still act?

Psyren
2017-02-02, 10:51 PM
However, I've never seen a GM who wouldn't let you reduce the armor check penalty of a shield via Armor Training, as it's kinda silly otherwise.

Armor Master's Handbook has a number of ways to reduce this penalty as well if it's proving troublesome.

A134: Mounts and other companions get their own turns, the only thing they share with the master is his/her initiative. Similarly, your mount getting staggered or knocked out would not restrict your own actions.

Calthropstu
2017-02-03, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the response Psyren.

I had not seen that in the Ultimate Intrigue, and this may well have been before that was published anyways. As for the detect magic... (actually permanent arcane sight) It ALWAYS registered magic. And all the doorways had magic in front of them... they had gotten used to it all being illusion. He had stopped asking at every door.

This got them good. If that trap hadn't gotten them, I had several more truly nasty surprises waiting for them.

Psyren
2017-02-03, 12:28 AM
He had stopped asking at every door.

I don't want to belabor this here as it probably deserves its own thread, but this is more than a little unfair. The player may not have thought to ask, but his character would have noticed the change in spell school - especially since he was using Arcane Sight rather than Detect Magic, which means he would have noticed the errant abjuration aura instantly without even needing to concentrate. At a minimum you should have rolled Spellcraft on his behalf, and even had he failed, that would have told him there was an aura on the doorway that he didn't recognize - a stark contrast to the illusion auras he had already spotted that were slathered over everything.

A "gotcha" moment like this might be fun once, but were I a player at your table, I'd be sure to punish you by asking a hundred questions every time I stepped into a new square, since that is effectively what you'd be training me to do if I want my character to survive.

Calthropstu
2017-02-03, 12:37 AM
Fair enough... I'll start a thread on it tomorrow. I really don't feel like starting that conversation tonight.

*makes mental note* Anyways, thanks for the answers.

Tuvarkz
2017-02-03, 02:18 AM
A133 Addendum- The Tower Shield Specialist Shield Mastery feat in Armor Master's Handbook (Yes, it has the same name as the archetype) does also allow you to apply Armor Training to Tower Shields (on top of a baseline reduction of their ACP by 3)

Palanan
2017-02-03, 12:06 PM
Q135: Does casting Memory Lapse or Fumbletongue count as an attack for the purpose of breaking Invisibility?

Psyren
2017-02-03, 12:38 PM
A135: Those are spells that directly target foes, so yes, both would break your invisibility.

You could make a case for needing to cast Memory Lapse on an ally though, e.g. to remove an intimidation effect from them, and this would not break your invisibility. For example, an enemy minotaur causes your Psychic ally to become shaken, interfering with her emotion components - if you are nearby and invisible, you could have her forget her fear and thus be able to cast.