PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Build thoughts?

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-08, 04:10 PM
1-Rogue (Combat Casting)(1d6 Sneak)(Trapfinding)
2- Sorcerer (Divine Companion)
3-Rogue (Quick Reconnoiter)(Evasion)
4-Rogue (Death’s Ruin)(2d6 Sneak)
5- Sorcerer
6-Unseen seer (3d6 Sneak) (Practiced Spellcaster)
7- Unseen seer (Advanced Learning)(Silent Spell)
8-Unseen seer (Div Power +1)
9- Unseen seer (4d6 Sneak) (Spell Penetration)
10- Abjurant Champion (Abjurant Armor) (Extend Abjuration)
11- Abjurant Champion (Swift Abjuration)
12- Abjurant Champion (Greater Spell Penetration)
13- Abjurant Champion (Arcane Boost)
14- Argent Savant (Force Specilization)
15- Argent Savant (Force Armor) (Great Fortitude)
16- Argent Savant (Extended Force)
17- Abjurant Champion (Martial Arcanist)
18- Unseen Seer (Advanced Learning)(Guarded Mind) (Lightning Reflexes)
19- Unseen Seer (DIV Power +2)
20- Unseen Seer (5d6 Sneak)

Low power game, Allowed resources: Completes, PH1 and 2, DMG, Races, Spell Compendium

Not allowed: Homebrew, Dragon Magazine, Faerun, Eberon, Vile Darkness, uneartherd arcana, Tombs.

Thank you in advance for the help!:)

LordOfCain
2016-11-08, 04:25 PM
Hm... I can't seem to find a class called rouge...
*koff koff* its rogue *koff koff*

pilvento
2016-11-08, 04:26 PM
i like it, I once made a very similar build, i have it arround somewere...

I do recomend using spellthief instead of rogue and get master spellthief instead of practiced spellcaster.

Pick hunters eye when you get advanced learning.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-08, 04:32 PM
yeah slight misspelling there lol :) and why spellthief over rouge?

Spellthief would lower overall sneak attack by 1d6 and gain detect magic and spell steal of lower level spells etc. not sure I like the trade off but its interesting. will look at it more.:)

sleepyphoenixx
2016-11-08, 04:36 PM
Drop Death's Ruin for Penetrating Strike if Dungeonscape is allowed unless you don't want to melee.

Taking Sorcerer instead of Wizard delays your spell progression. Int also synergizes better with rogues than Cha.
Not to mention that a wider selection of spells is probably more useful than the sorcerers more spells per day but very few spells known.
I'm not saying you can't, but i wouldn't without a good reason.

I have no idea what you get out of Argent Savant. Especially the 4th level over the 5th level of Abjurant Champion. Taking 4 less force damage from an attack is worth very little - definitely not a level.
The same could be said for losing a level of casting to enter it at all because the class abilities are rather pitiful, the BAB sucks and the saves do too.

In general there's a lack of focus here. What do you want to do with your build?
You could be a sneak-attacking caster, but your losing 4 levels of progression (3 upfront) on your already slowed sorcerer progression. You also take 8 levels that don't help your sneak attacking at all.
You could be a spellcasting skillmonkey. But again you're dumping a ton of levels into 2+int skill point classes that don't help at all and choosing a Cha focus over Int focus.
You could be a gish, but you're losing a ton of BAB. Since you apparently don't care about skill points you could just build a proper gish and do it right.

pilvento
2016-11-08, 04:43 PM
yeah slight misspelling there lol :) and why spellthief over rouge?

Spellthief would lower overall sneak attack by 1d6 and gain detect magic and spell steal of lower level spells etc. not sure I like the trade off but its interesting. will look at it more.:)

Stealing spells over a single die of SA is more than worty, and master spell thief feat will stack your steal spell progresion with the caster lvl of your other classes.

I second that an int focus over a cha focus on a skillmonkey is better overall, and I also would like to know what you really want to focus on.

For a Sneaky gish I would go the masterspellthief/wizard/daggerspellmage/unseenseer route and for a force mage then sorcerer/abjurantchampion/ardentsavant its a simpler route.

I once played a masterspellthief5/assassin5/unseenseer10 and I had a blast, no npc or item was safe.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-08, 04:46 PM
I was going for a force wielding sneak attack character. That's why the Savant levels and rouge levels. unseen seer seemed to be the right fit. I took the Abjurant champion because I was planning on not wearing any armor. The current party has two buffing clerics , a Hexblade and an archer, no skill monkey and no face. that's why I went with CHR over INT.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-08, 04:50 PM
I looked at the build and the 4th level of Savant gives me the small damage reduction and same BAB. With the way the build is. the CL will be 19 by the end and the BAB only a 15 so the 5th level of Champion would give me 1 more point of armor on the mage armor spells. So the trade off I guess is 1 AC or 4 points of force reduction. So yeah it is better to change out for the 5th level of Champion although Martial Arcanist is not useful at all. And a few more hitpoints I guess doesn't hurt either.

pilvento
2016-11-08, 04:54 PM
I was going for a force wielding sneak attack character. That's why the Savant levels and rouge levels. unseen seer seemed to be the right fit. I took the Abjurant champion because I was planning on not wearing any armor. The current party has two buffing clerics , a Hexblade and an archer, no skill monkey and no face. that's why I went with CHR over INT.

Problem is then in my opinion that you have too many lvls on clases that give almost no skill points. The ardent prc gives a good boost to force spells but if your plan is to have a good SA damage not only you dont need it but also remember that stuff like magic misile (no attack roll) cant deal SA damage.

I suggest more than before the build I once played and you can deliver SA with normal attacks, cloud of knives spell and the force needle spell reservoir feat. Also, CL20 heart ripper...

If you go sorcerer (or any other casting class) and master spellthief you can cast freely in light armor too. Then jump into unseen seer as soon as you can, but since you said that its a low power game then more reason to try the assassin build instead of a fullcaster sneak attacker.

Karl Aegis
2016-11-08, 04:55 PM
I don't see why you would take Death's Ruin when tombs aren't allowed.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-08, 04:57 PM
Death's Ruin comes out of Complete Champion doesn't it?

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-08, 04:58 PM
and your right you cant sneak attack with magic Missile but you can with orb of force:) which is like 15d6 damage at the end which isn't horrible for a lower power game. or while waiting to get the orb Blast of Force works as well earlier levels.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-11-08, 05:09 PM

You'd probably be better served with a Spellwarp Sniper (CScoundrel) in that case. Not only is the damage from Argent Savant rather small, there are also very few force spells that qualify for SA. And by the time you get them they're too late to be effective since you lose so much casting on the already slowed Sorcerer progression.

Abjurant Champion does little for you. Sure, the AC helps, but you're sacrificing your abilities in your desired role for it. Focus on getting good at what you're trying to do first.
As a sneak attacking caster you should avoid melee anyway, and as a caster relying on miss chance (Mirror Image, Blur) is a lot easier. You can do without, and you'll need to if you want to actually be useful.
Not getting hit doesn't bypass encounters. Worry about that and take care of your defenses after.

As it stands you're neither a skillmonkey nor a face nor a particularly effective casting sneak attacker.
You have no skill points for any skill monkeying, and Cha alone will not suffice for the face role either. You'll really need to focus on high skill point classes and Int to get good at both.

The point is that you're spreading yourself too thin.

Pick a role to focus on. Skillmonkey seems the obvious choice because it's what your party lacks. You could also focus on damage, but it will cost you in the skills area which your party lacks.
Everyone can do damage to one extent or another, and at least 2 of your partymembers are focused on it. Not to mention that it's a bad use of resources to use something limited (spells) to do something an unlimited resource (weapons) can do.

You can still do some damage with spells in a pinch, provided you don't lose too much spellcasting.
Though you might be better served with BFC, summoning, debuffing or literally everything other than damage.
Building a damage-focused caster takes a lot of resources. Any other in-combat use of spells gets by with significantly less, or even none besides the basic ability to cast and high Int.

CaPtMalHammer
2016-11-08, 05:20 PM
I do appreciate all your suggestions and have made some tweaks. I may revisit spellthief a bit:) The idea I had was for an Abjurant Champion and Argent savant character with a CHR build for face of the party. Skills early seemed like a good idea. I know I can be a better blaster as a wizard or a meta magic sorcerer. I know I can be a better skill monkey with a straight human rouge build. I was trying to do something different and outside the "normal" builds:) And I do apologize if I came across differently. This is just my ideas. I do value all responses that people spend the time to make. I always try to be respectful.