PDA

View Full Version : Possible new-password error?

PrinceTandem
2016-11-08, 11:00 PM
I am a moron when it comes to remembering passwords and i logged off and clicked the forgot my password button and it sent me an email i clicked the link and i brought me to the new password link. i clicked it and i didn't remember what it was.

My questions is: why do we need to type in our old password when we don't remember what our old password was?

this is a second account.

Fri
2016-11-09, 01:48 AM
I'm not clear on what you're asking, but this is what I got from your question.

You need to insert your old password first because it's to change old password to new password, not to get missing password, I think they're separate.

You insert the old password thing when say, your girlfriend was named Hanna (it's not a boy's name! (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Webcomic/HannaIsNotABoysName)) and you use H@NN@ as password and she knows it since you both often log into each others gitp account. But then you broke up and you want to change to $CR3WY0UH@NN@ so she can't access your gitp account. Of course you have to put your old password first to change into new password.

But if you lose your password, you just click "forgot password" link and it will send new randomized password to the email account you set up (which we assume is secure and you know the password to the email account), and you just can click the link given to your email to reset your password into that randomized password without any need to remember your old password (since you've forgot about it, that's the whole point of that button). You then enter the site using that randomized password, then change it into something you can remember more easily.

D&DPrinceTandem
2016-11-09, 01:57 AM
Oh....WOW....
Thank you and sorry for not reading through fully

Fri
2016-11-09, 01:59 AM
Your welcome :smallsmile: