PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Passive Cleric Spells

proselus
2016-11-08, 11:18 PM
Hello,

So I have an odd case I am trying to assist with in my group. Our party cleric (Cleric 6/Radiant Servant 7) is playing her cleric very passively, in the sense that she throws buffs, debuffs, maybe crowd control, but never attacks the opponents, or even slings deadly spells. Now she absolutely loves this play, so I am trying to assist find spells that fit this criteria.

I've gone through the Cleric Handbook, and several of the spells that are suggested either don't fit her playstyle, or just aren't effective in our group. Delay Death has been very successful, and Scrying/Communing has been helpful. However, spells like Spell Resistance, Holy Aura, Heroes Feast, and Holy Star just aren't providing enough benefits. Part of the problem is our large party size (8) and the other major problem is that our group doesn't coordinate well, so stuff like Greater Magic Weapon, Superior Resistance, and the like are more unreliable.

So with all that, I was hoping the Playground could help us find more spells. Fairly rapid combat (1~3 rounds is typical), and we are lacking crowd control. Her saves are quite high (free templates + very high Wisdom), so maybe some save or sucks would be good too. Beyond that, I have no idea. (Most sources ok, no MoI, or Tome of Magic, if that matters)

JeminiZero
2016-11-09, 12:36 AM
Personal Buffs
3. Battlemagic Perception [Heroes of Battle]
3. Channeled Divine Shield [PHB2]
3. Footsteps of the Divine [CC]
6. Eyes of the Oracle [DrM]
8. Storm Rage [SpC]

Single Target Buffs
1. Conviction [SpC] Also has mass version
2. Benediction [CC]
2. Freedom of Breath [Sand]
2. Living Undeath [SpC]
3. Weapon of Energy [SpC]
3. Blindsight [SpC]
4. Greater Blindsight [SpC]
5. Surge of Fortune [CC]
6. Energy Immunity [SpC]
7. Brilliant Blade [SpC] Also has mass version called Brilliant Aura

Group Buffs
1. Unity Wine [PGtE]
2. Divine Protection [SpC]
2. Elation [BoED]
3. Mass Conviction [SpC]
3. Mass Resist Energy [SpC]
4. Greater Status [BoED]
4. Mass Shield of Faith [SpC]
4. Recitation [SpC]
5. Righteous Wrath of the Faithful [SpC]
6. Greater Legion's Magic Weapon [MoE] Greater Magic Weapon for the whole party
7. Mass Spell Resistance [SpC]
8. Brilliant Aura [SpC]
8. Mass Death Ward [SpC]

Single Debuff
1. Impede [CC]
2. Dessicate [Sand] Also has mass version
2. Lastai's Caress [BoED]
5. Bewildering Mischance [CC]
5. Choking Sands [Sand]
7. Greater Bestow Curse [SpC]

Mass Debuff/Crowd Control
1. Ice Slick [Frost]
4. Wall of Good/Evil/Law/Chaos [SpC]
5. Boreal Wind [Frost]
5. Symbol of Spell Loss [SpC] Excellent anti-caster spell. Cast beforehand and attune to the party for no friendly fire. Permanent until triggered, so cover the rune until you need it.
6. Mass Dessicate [Sand]
6. Opalescent Glare [SpC] Check with GM, some houserule this to 1 rnd/lvl
7. Righteous Glare [BoED]
8. Chain Dispel [PHB2]

Healing
1. Resurgence [SpC]
2. Bodyward/Soulward [SpC]
2. Close Wounds [SpC]
3. Remove Nausea [BoED]
3. Mass Resurgence [SpC]
4. Panacea [SpC]
4. Revenance [SpC]
5. Revivify [SpC]
7. Renewal Pact [SpC] Contingent Panacea

Utility
1. Omen of Peril [SpC]
1. Spiderhand [BoVD]
2. Substitute Domain [CC]
2. Whispering Flame [Five Nations]
3. Chain of Eyes [SpC]
3. Circle Dance [SpC]
3. Skull Watch [SpC]
4. Sacred Item [CC] My favorite trap spell. Cast this on a glove and use it to shake hands. If the other guy is an evil outsider/undead shapechanger, this spell will reveal it.
7. Brain Spider [SpC]

See also all the Sanctified Spells in BoED. Note that Clerics can spontaneously cast Sanctified spells, so that adds to her versatility, but watch the sacrifice cost.

proselus
2016-11-09, 04:04 PM
This.....is astounding! I am overwhelmed at the response, thank you so much. This has really helped find some very good options that we can prep, and some all day (or all dungeon at least) buffs. My only question is the Sanctified Spells, I know she can cast them, and we've thought of Luminous Armor, (I think we can heal the damage right after anyway) but are there others that are real gems?

sleepyphoenixx
2016-11-09, 04:28 PM
This.....is astounding! I am overwhelmed at the response, thank you so much. This has really helped find some very good options that we can prep, and some all day (or all dungeon at least) buffs. My only question is the Sanctified Spells, I know she can cast them, and we've thought of Luminous Armor, (I think we can heal the damage right after anyway) but are there others that are real gems?

The Healer Handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=5nqgstspmrftlhtc6us07q9ii5&topic=8757) has a nice analysis of the Sanctified spells.
Going by how you describe your players style it might have a few other things that interest her too.

proselus
2016-11-09, 04:58 PM
Thank you very much, I knew someone out there had looked at the Sanctified Spells, I just couldn't remember where. Are there any other major BFC spells? That's probably the only thing our party seriously lacks (even with 1.5 wizards in the group :smallsigh:)

JeminiZero
2016-11-09, 08:06 PM
Clerics can't do BFC nearly as well as Sorcerer/Wizard, or even Druid/Spirit Shaman. Within Core, their best option is Wall of Stone.

Outside of core, there is Wall of Salt [Sand] & Wall of Sand [SpC], both on level 4, but both are much worse than Wall of Stone. There is also Wall of Ooze [BoVD], but that's Cleric 5 and in direct competition with Wall of Stone.

I've already mentioned Wall of Good/Evil/Law/Chaos [SpC].

The only other notable BFC I can think of is Curtain of Light [BoED] which is a Sancified 5 spell, and in direct competition with Wall of Stone (although as a Sanctified Spell it can be spontaneously cast albeit with a Sacrifice cost). Curtain of Light is shapeable, so in a narrow space you can zigzag it, so that enemies have to pass through multiple layers to get through.

Inevitability
2016-11-10, 01:44 AM
What domains does your cleric have?

sleepyphoenixx
2016-11-10, 03:46 AM
Clerics can't do BFC nearly as well as Sorcerer/Wizard, or even Druid/Spirit Shaman. Within Core, their best option is Wall of Stone.

Outside of core, there is Wall of Salt [Sand] & Wall of Sand [SpC], both on level 4, but both are much worse than Wall of Stone. There is also Wall of Ooze [BoVD], but that's Cleric 5 and in direct competition with Wall of Stone.

I've already mentioned Wall of Good/Evil/Law/Chaos [SpC].

The only other notable BFC I can think of is Curtain of Light [BoED] which is a Sancified 5 spell, and in direct competition with Wall of Stone (although as a Sanctified Spell it can be spontaneously cast albeit with a Sacrifice cost). Curtain of Light is shapeable, so in a narrow space you can zigzag it, so that enemies have to pass through multiple layers to get through.

There's also Ice Slick (Frost) at first level, which is basically cleric Grease. At 3rd you get Laogzed's Breath (SK) which is identical to Stinking Cloud in every way except shape.
There's also Nauseating Breath (SpC) and Dancing Web (BoED). Probably a few more, but i don't play clerics often.
It's not as big a selection as wizards get, but you can get by just fine.

Clerics also get a pretty good selection of single-target save-or-lose/suck effects, with gems like Stay the Hand and Hesitate (both of which are immediate actions). They can really get big returns out of a lesser Rod of Chain Spell or DMM:Chain Spell with that.

proselus
2016-11-10, 07:17 PM
What domains does your cleric have?

Cleric has Healing, Sun, Knowledge, and Chaos currently. Also has that domain spontaneous features thing if that matters.