PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Yang (RWBY) Gestalt in 3.5 D&D

sage20500
2016-11-09, 01:25 AM
Am looking at building a Yang like character for an upcoming homebrew resident evil game that a friend was thinking of running. Its a modern setting, except guns are not going to be very prevalent because we're using 3.5 as the system. Currently one side of the gestalt is looking like its going to be Duskblade 6/Rage Mage 1/Duskblade 13, and the other side is looking like Paladin of Freedom 2/Chaotic Holy Raging Martial Monk 2/Firestorm Berserker 3/Monk 10, with this side of the gestalt having an LA of +3 from being a Half Battle Dragon.

Idea for the character was originally being able to punch people in the face with arcane channeling shocking grasp and vampiric touch while also being able to bust out into a rage when ever her rage button is hit. Rolled for base stats; 12 Str, 15 Dex, 18 Con, 18 Int, 16 Wis, 17 Cha, so with bonuses from Half Dragon added it becomes 20 Str, 15 Dex, 20 Con, 20 Int, 16 Wis, 19 Cha. Am currently still looking into what I could or should use for her base race, was originally thinking Water Orc or one of the half orcs for even higher Str and Con, but I don't know if I want to take the penalty to the mental stats for it.

Aside from that, feat wise I'm currently am looking at picking up Power Attack, Kung Fu Genius, Maximize meta magic for maxing Vampiric Touch, Arcane Preperation, Pratical Metamagic (Or maybe Divine Metamagic) for Maximise so I can use it sooner arcane channeling, and then maybe the 2 feats for half dragons that give me wings and a fly speed? I was originally thinking of getting improved breath but it seems that even though I have a rather high con the general consensus is that the half dragon breath weapon sucks. I know I do want to pick up the feat that allows me to use my con for my will saves and lets me not fail fort saves on a 1. My end game goal for the build is to be able to be the front liner that can tank through what ever the enemy is throwing at me before swinging back at them with even more hurt. Overall from 1-20 by my groups house rules I'll have 11 Feats from levels (Feat at level 1 and then 1 at every even level) and 2 bonus Monk feats.

PRC wise the 1 level of rage mage is so that I can channel while in a rage, the 3 levels of Firestorm Berserker aside from flavor are there for immunity fire, resist con mod cold, and Instant Rage.

I know I've seen versions of Yang floating around as a mix matched bunch of base classes, but I feel like sticking with Duskblade best serves to keep with the flavor she has of punching people with magic (Dust). Other than that anyone have any tweaks, tips or recommendations I should look at ?

Swaoeaeieu
2016-11-09, 07:24 AM
just gonna leave this one here for perusal (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=11281.0)

Eno Remnant
2016-11-09, 09:20 AM
Since guns are scare, I'm going to suggest wand bracers. Carry two, fill each with single-use wands of Fireball or whatever other spell you'd like to simulate Ember Celica with. Free action to draw the wand, standard to use it, another free to drop it.

As for punching all the things, Gauntlets of Heartfelt Blows let you add your Charisma modifier as fire damage to melee attacks.

I've actually tried a Yang build myself, but not much of what I used really transfers besides the items. Hope it's helpful.

Strigon
2016-11-09, 10:15 AM
Part of her main thing is that she gets stronger as she gets hit. You might consider a few Crusader levels, if you can get some refluffing done.

sage20500
2016-11-09, 11:44 AM
just gonna leave this one here for perusal (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=11281.0)

that was the thread I talked about. I feel like gestalt wise, going duskblade on one side mimics being able to use dust and her fighting style a lot better than a 1 level dip of sorcerer and a couple of wands. That and Fist of the Forest just doesn't mesh very well with the flavor because of its rules mechanics (I'd be pretty much ****ed over throughout half the campaign since it takes place in the middle of giant urban cities).

2 levels of deepwarden do seem nice for using Con instead of Dex for ac, but I'm not sure if I want to use a dwarf as the base race for her, or if orc/half orc/standard human might be a better choice to go with.

Ninjaxenomorph
2016-11-09, 05:17 PM
Make sure your Called Shot rules are ready!

... I don't really have much else to add, PF is my expertise. Are you trying to replicate her Semblance?