PDA

View Full Version : Floating Disk, Polymorph, and ladders

plinths
2016-11-09, 05:21 AM
We all know that Tenser's Floating Disk can't be ridden.

--

Suppose a player casts it, Polymorphs into a fast flying creature, and the rest of the party stands on the disk.

RAW says: "It floats along horizontally within spell range and will accompany you at a rate of no more than your normal speed each round."

Does the disk move at the transformed flying speed?

--

2nd question:

Suppose a player puts a ladder on the floating disk, and the caster and another player climb on. The caster commands it to stay as close as possible, and then the 2 characters move to the opposite ends of the ladder.

Does this work?

Troacctid
2016-11-09, 05:36 AM
We all know that Tenser's Floating Disk can't be ridden.
What? Since when?

plinths
2016-11-09, 05:40 AM
What? Since when?

That's from the WotC 3.5 FAQ.

Can you ride your own Tenser’s floating disk?
No. While you could command your Tenser’s floating disk to move close enough for you to sit upon it, it has no ability to move under its own power. It can follow you only at a maximum rate equal to your normal speed.

Jowgen
2016-11-09, 07:12 AM
Have a handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?385848-Disciple-of-Tenser-A-Guide-to-Maximum-Tenser-s-Floating-Disk-Utility). Covers rules ambiguities, takes a conservative stance.

plinths
2016-11-09, 10:25 AM
Have a handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?385848-Disciple-of-Tenser-A-Guide-to-Maximum-Tenser-s-Floating-Disk-Utility). Covers rules ambiguities, takes a conservative stance.

I don't see anything about Polymorph.

Also, I disagree with the idea that a single Talisman can create multiple Disks, because every other magic item with an ongoing effect only allows one at a time. I'd say the Talisman remains "activated" as long as you have a Disk, and it can't be activated again until it's deactivated.

Troacctid
2016-11-09, 10:30 AM
That's from the WotC 3.5 FAQ.

You can't ride your own disk, but that doesn't mean they can't be ridden. Anyone other than the caster can still ride it.

plinths
2016-11-09, 10:31 AM
You can't ride your own disk, but that doesn't mean they can't be ridden. Anyone other than the caster can still ride it.

Right, that's what I meant.

Jowgen
2016-11-09, 10:42 AM
I don't see anything about Polymorph.

Also, I disagree with the idea that a single Talisman can create multiple Disks, because every other magic item with an ongoing effect only allows one at a time. I'd say the Talisman remains "activated" as long as you have a Disk, and it can't be activated again until it's deactivated.

On the polymorph topic, I thought someone in the comments mentioned something along those lines (might have been familiar relatated actually); but yeah, if the caster's base speed changes, the disk should adapt to that.

On the talisman, interestingly someone over at minmax made a similar argument, and we had quite a lenghty discussion about it. MIC items do follow the trend of being 1-3/day or only one activation at a time, but there are plenty of examples of at will items with ongoing effects in other source. One of my favorites being the Babbling Wheel from Savage Species. Either case, from a RAW perspective, I argue that if there were a one-disk-at-a-time limitation, the item description would specify so, as it does with other items where that's the case. Additionally, from a RAI perspective, I would argue that if the talisman were to count as if it were active (and thus unuseable) while a disk where active, then a character should be able to pass the disk and thus the talisman to another character, but that is not the case.

plinths
2016-11-09, 11:26 AM
Additionally, from a RAI perspective, I would argue that if the talisman were to count as if it were active (and thus unuseable) while a disk where active, then a character should be able to pass the disk and thus the talisman to another character, but that is not the case.

Huh, you can't?

RAI, I figure that the low price means it's probably meant to only allow one disk. Of course, at 500 gp they're cheap enough that you can just get several.

The shield idea for small/prone characters is interesting.