PDA

View Full Version : Sneak Attack Spells

KnotKnormal
2016-11-09, 09:17 AM
If you multi class Rogue/Wizard could you add the sneak attack bonus damage to spells that require you you to roll an attack roll, such as Chill Touch.

JellyPooga
2016-11-09, 09:22 AM
Only if the spell involves a weapon attack with the Finesse quality or a Ranged weapon. So Chill Touch, Firebolt, Eldritch Blast etc. are all out because they don't involve a weapon.

Maxilian
2016-11-09, 09:23 AM
No, you need to hit with a Finesse or Ranged Weapon attack

KnotKnormal
2016-11-09, 09:26 AM
that is a shame. would there be any way to change this with out straight up house ruling?

JellyPooga
2016-11-09, 09:27 AM
that is a shame. would there be any way to change this with out straight up house ruling?

Not to my knowledge.

Greenflame Blade and Booming Blade (SCAG) both allow you to add Sneak Attack though, if that's any help.

Arkhios
2016-11-09, 09:35 AM

Nope. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend houseruling it either.

DivisibleByZero
2016-11-09, 09:42 AM
I allow it with wizard cantrips with a ranged spell attack cast at their lowest level at my table.
Wizard cantrips only so as to disallow eldritch blast shenanigans with possibly multiple attack rolls and/or pushback.
Lowest level only so the rogue has to choose between sneak attack or scaling the cantrip damage.
This adds flavor, while strictly bring inferior to a short bow for the times that it is used. Using a bow is better, but not nearly as cool.

famousringo
2016-11-09, 02:51 PM
I used to think that the designers didn't want to risk combining cantrip scaling with sneak attack scaling, but the new weapon cantrips do exactly that. It doesn't seem like adding Sneak Attack to Firebolt would be any worse than adding it to Booming Blade.

But warlocks are where it falls apart. Taking a 2 level dip and adding Sneak Attack to Hex, Agonizing Blast, and Eldritch Blast... now your damage scaling is out of control.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-11-09, 02:54 PM
Eldrich Blast really needs to be a class feature...

Maxilian
2016-11-09, 03:03 PM

Its not really a problem that it isn't a class feature (cause in the end, what makes it a true class feature are the Invocations), Hex should have been a class feature (and the same with the Paladin divine hit -Forgot the number right now-)

Kane0
2016-11-09, 03:57 PM
Middle finger of vecna has a rogue subclass that does that. Spellwarp sniper i think? Gives 1/3 casting and half sneak attack dice on spells that use attack rolls.

Sicarius Victis
2016-11-09, 04:08 PM
Middle finger of vecna has a rogue subclass that does that. Spellwarp sniper i think? Gives 1/3 casting and half sneak attack dice on spells that use attack rolls.

Correct (http://www.middlefingerofvecna.com/2015/07/spellwarp-sniper.html). It's a conversion of a 3.5 prestige class of the same name. It gets 1/2 SA with spell attacks, it can convert AoE to single-target spells (not as useful in 5e as in 3.5) and a few other trickery/murder abilities.

Saggo
2016-11-09, 07:38 PM
I used to think that the designers didn't want to risk combining cantrip scaling with sneak attack scaling, but the new weapon cantrips do exactly that. It doesn't seem like adding Sneak Attack to Firebolt would be any worse than adding it to Booming Blade.

BB/GFB are melee only, so it's not a 1:1 comparison.

Scaling the two invocations to class level would be a less invasive change, if with a slight increase to bookkeeping.