PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Item set help

Aleolus
2016-11-09, 11:53 AM
Hey all. I am working on a game I want to get started on here, and I have a fair few ideas, but there is one area I need help with. The game is a martial arts theme game, with each of the players coming from one of a variety of schools across the area. Each of these schools was founded by a different disciple of a single master ages ago, and each has a piece of the equipment set he used in life. I need some help coming up with the different pieces of it. I want there to be at least 8 pieces, none of which are a weapon or type of armor (giving armor bonuses is fine, but no actual armor), and they all need to give the feel of a master martial artist.

And just to be clear, when I use the term 'set', I do mean where the more items you have from it the better each individual ones are.

Vogie
2016-11-09, 01:57 PM
Hey all. I am working on a game I want to get started on here, and I have a fair few ideas, but there is one area I need help with. The game is a martial arts theme game, with each of the players coming from one of a variety of schools across the area. Each of these schools was founded by a different disciple of a single master ages ago, and each has a piece of the equipment set he used in life. I need some help coming up with the different pieces of it. I want there to be at least 8 pieces, none of which are a weapon or type of armor (giving armor bonuses is fine, but no actual armor), and they all need to give the feel of a master martial artist.

And just to be clear, when I use the term 'set', I do mean where the more items you have from it the better each individual ones are.

Are you looking for examples of random things that were owned by said masters (This is the Scabbard of Master ____ from the Battle of Eras, worn when she killed General McGuffin exactly 1000 years ago) or specifically "magic items" that also are nonarmor equipment (The Scabbard of Master ____ mystically keeps whatever sword placed in it sharp)?

Aleolus
2016-11-09, 08:14 PM
The second one. For instance, the one item I was able to think of that I like and may well use is:

Boots of the Zephyr

These boots grant the wearer the speed of the eastern winds. Equipping these boots gives the wearer a +10 foot bonus to their move speed, and this bonus increases by an additional 10 feet for every piece of the item set the wearer is also wearing

Cirtona Pox
2016-11-09, 08:52 PM
This set is simply called "The Fēng" (Fēng = Wind). Stealth Set.
Signet Ring - Allows +10 to Forgery and Deception checks
Quiver - Holds 3x as many arrows
Slippers - +10 Stealth
Hood/Mask - Darkvision 120'
Silk Belt - Ten pouch sized extra dimensional pockets.

Any Three:
Signet Ring - Allows +10 to Forgery and Deception checks. 1/day can create a seal that casts Charm Person on the one who breaks it.
Quiver - Holds 3x as many arrows, Neutralizes penalty for remaining hidden while attacking (only works for bow attacks using stored arrows)
Slippers - +15 Stealth
Hood/Mask - Darkvision 120'. +5 Reflex saves involving traps of any kind.
Silk Belt - Ten pouch sized extra dimensional pockets. One always contains a vial of poison (DM's choice). The poison is ineffective if not used within 5 minutes of removal from the belt.

Any Four
Adds the ability to cast Silence 1/day.

All Five
Gaseous Form 1/day

"... Of Fěnsuì" Martial Combatant (Fěnsuì = To Crush)
Hair Tie/Headband... = +1 to Will saves for each piece of the set donned (or carried in the case of the brush).
Paintbrush... = 1/day Creates a symbol on the characters clothes/armor that has the same effect as a bard's Inspire Courage ability. The character is treated as the bard when determining effect (Character level = Bard level).
Shoes... = +1 to Ref saves for each piece of the set donned (or carried in the case of the brush).
Bracers...= +1 to Fort saves for each piece of the set donned (or carried in the case of the brush).
Gloves...= Haste 1/day Character level as caster level.

Any Four
True Strike 1/day.

All Five
One attack roll can be "20'ed" 1/day prior to rolling.

I can lore these up if you want but I am hesitant to do so without knowing your campaign.

Thurbane
2016-11-09, 09:53 PM
A better idea of the schools might help give inspiration - do you have more info on the martial arts schools?

UA has the following variant monks, for instance:

Cobra Strike
Denying Stance
Hand and Foot
Invisible Eye
Overwhelming Attack
Passive Way
Sleeping Tiger
Undying Way

Aleolus
2016-11-12, 03:56 PM
Its difficult for me to describe the different schools, largely because I don't know how to put it myself. I wanted to have it where any 'Martial arts' type class come from whatever school fits their style better, so someone playing a Shadow Hand school swordsage would come from the same school as someone playing a Ninja, but they would come from a different school as a Setting Sun focused Swordsage, and so on. If possible, I would like to define them within the realm of real-world martial arts, but there are so many of them of such varied styles that I am not even sure where to begin with that.

That being said, the items are more about blending multiple different styles, since that is what this person did. Kind of like the founder dude from Tome of Battle (can't remember his name), but I am wanting this to be open to more than just ToB classes