PDA

View Full Version : DM Help how to integrate adventures in middle earth classes?

Nishant
2016-11-09, 02:24 PM
So, I've recently bought adventures in middle earth, and some of my players have shown interest in uses the classes alongside the classes from the PHB; now, I understand they are in large part tweaked versions of the PHB classes, but a few of them do have abilities that directly correspond to the handbook's new 'stages' (fellowship phase, etc.), and some others rely on other new mechanics (for example, the Wanderer's abilities, as a variant of the ranger.) Is there a good way to handle this? Or should I say 'perhaps for another game?' Perhaps I could integrate some of the archetypes into the game, with some tweaking?

DragonSorcererX
2016-11-09, 04:01 PM
So, I've recently bought adventures in middle earth, and some of my players have shown interest in uses the classes alongside the classes from the PHB; now, I understand they are in large part tweaked versions of the PHB classes, but a few of them do have abilities that directly correspond to the handbook's new 'stages' (fellowship phase, etc.), and some others rely on other new mechanics (for example, the Wanderer's abilities, as a variant of the ranger.) Is there a good way to handle this? Or should I say 'perhaps for another game?' Perhaps I could integrate some of the archetypes into the game, with some tweaking?

Seriously, I didn't read this book, but seeing some reviews and knowing Middle Earth, you are basically trying to mix d20 Modern sh*tty classes with 3.5 cool and powerful classes.

Arial Black
2016-11-10, 01:21 AM
I've read the book and it is excellent. The PCs you make are both true to the spirit of Tolkien and cool despite, or perhaps because of, the subtle nature of magic here compared to the attitude of, "If it's not magic then it can't compete" that we have in mainstream 5E.

For that reason I wouldn't like to mix their classes with the classes in the PHB. That being said, the ME PCs would be okay in mainstream games (with some tweaking), but PHB spellcasting classes would overwhelm ME PCs in a game set in Middle-Earth.