PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Magical item attunement to a specific wielder

Vossler
2016-11-09, 04:11 PM
Ok i've seen a lot of people doing this but i wanted to know the benefit of attuning magical items to a specific wielder I am currently building a artificer for a game and am going to be creating items for the party.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-11-09, 04:37 PM
The benefit is that it makes item creation cheaper, going by the guidelines for custom items.
So not only do you save money, your enemies also can't use your gear against you.

If your DM allows it there's no reason not to do it, but i wouldn't count on it.

Flickerdart
2016-11-09, 05:20 PM
There aren't general rules on attuning items, but several kinds of items require attunement, most notably a bunch in the MIC that only function once attuned.

Cirtona Pox
2016-11-09, 07:11 PM
The DM can make anything require attuning.

As far as cheaper goes I would never drop it below standard construction prices. The advantage, as stated, is that your gear is your gear and nobody can take it from you and use it. The disadvantage is that you cannot sell it. It should still cost the same to create it.

Jowgen
2016-11-09, 07:29 PM
I believe making things race and alignment specific warrant price reduction (as per the guidelines), as that means a character must maintain his alignment and must avoid being resurrected/polymorphed/templated into a different kind of creature to keep use of the item. Making it specific to a creature simply doesn't carry any tangile drawback/restrictions, baring items with very specific effects.

Also, things like an attunement period on the are simply a balancing mechnic that a DM should be able to slap on an item whenver it seems that appropriate, and is not worth a reduction.

Troacctid
2016-11-09, 07:32 PM
Bonded magic items (DMG2) can be crafted by any character, even if they don't have the prerequisites, as long as their character level is high enough. This is a major advantage if you're not a full caster and you don't have all the spells, or even if you are a full caster and you just don't have the feat. I guess it's probably not useful to an artificer.

sleepyphoenixx
2016-11-09, 07:42 PM
Heh, looks like everyone thinks of something different when their hear "item attunement". Since the OP mentioned Artificer i assumed item creation.

I believe making things race and alignment specific warrant price reduction (as per the guidelines), as that means a character must maintain his alignment and must avoid being resurrected/polymorphed/templated into a different kind of creature to keep use of the item. Making it specific to a creature simply doesn't carry any tangile drawback/restrictions, baring items with very specific effects.

Also, things like an attunement period on the are simply a balancing mechnic that a DM should be able to slap on an item whenver it seems that appropriate, and is not worth a reduction.

You can only make items alignment and class specific or require a specific skill rank. The first two are worth a 30% reduction, the third another 10%.
That's simply excessive for items you make custom for yourself. No one but your fighter is going to use that greatsword. There's no restriction on the party in any way.

Do players in your campaigns actually change alignment often?
Because i can't recall it happening except in one notable "i'm totally evil but my charsheet says chaotic neutral" case.