PDA

View Full Version : Ranger 4 in my archer build. Have a question.

Snig
2016-11-09, 08:19 PM
I'm planning on taking 4 levels of Ranger to gain access to their 1st lvl spells (also rapid shot, great BAB, and skills). I'm just curious about spells like Arrowmind. It says it last 1 min / level. Is that character level?

1st level of ranger opens up some great archery spells. I'm planning on grabbing some rogue levels to go along with it, and utilize bowwands to take advantage of these spells.

Eldariel
2016-11-09, 08:22 PM
If you want to cast Archery-spells, you definitely should take a look at Mystic Ranger [Dragon 336], which gets casting from level 1 and at a great rate. Anyways, the "level" in spell stats refers to your caster level, in the case of normal Ranger that being ½ your Ranger level. Note that you don't need Rogue-levels/Use Magic Device to use Wands of Ranger spells. If you have a spell on your class's spell list, whether you can cast it yourself or not, you can use spell trigger items such as Wands of it. Thus, even a level 1 Ranger can use Wands of any Ranger-spells.

Snig
2016-11-09, 08:46 PM
If you want to cast Archery-spells, you definitely should take a look at Mystic Ranger [Dragon 336], which gets casting from level 1 and at a great rate. Anyways, the "level" in spell stats refers to your caster level, in the case of normal Ranger that being ½ your Ranger level. Note that you don't need Rogue-levels/Use Magic Device to use Wands of Ranger spells. If you have a spell on your class's spell list, whether you can cast it yourself or not, you can use spell trigger items such as Wands of it. Thus, even a level 1 Ranger can use Wands of any Ranger-spells.

So if I stop taking ranger at 4, i'd arrowmind would only last for 2min? :(

Hal0Badger
2016-11-09, 08:50 PM
So if I stop taking ranger at 4, i'd arrowmind would only last for 2min? :(

Unfortunately, yes. There are feats like "Practiced Spellcaster" make up for that loss caster levels, though they are not optimal on ranger. Your choice though.

DarkSoul
2016-11-09, 08:53 PM
Unless you're making it persistent, then yes, it only lasts for 20 rounds. If you're still fighting after that, you're doing it wrong. I second the recommendation for Mystic Ranger.

Snig
2016-11-09, 08:57 PM
Unless you're making it persistent, then yes, it only lasts for 20 rounds. If you're still fighting after that, you're doing it wrong. I second the recommendation for Mystic Ranger.

Well, 20 rounds is plenty of time. Why the need for mystic ranger?

Darrin
2016-11-09, 09:14 PM
Rangers get boned on caster level, because CL = 1/2 Ranger levels. This makes grabbing hunter's eye (PHBII) via Unseen Seer (Complete Mage) more preferable, as you can put your entire arcane caster level behind it.

If all you want is ranger spells, a dip into Consecrated Harrier (Complete Divine) may leave more room for other stuff. If you need Rapid Shot, Fighter 2/Consecrated Harrier 1 or Ranger 2/Consecrated Harrier 1 may be preferable to Ranger 4.

Nifft
2016-11-09, 09:23 PM
Rogue 1 / Ranger 4 (on a Human with Able Learner) > Chameleon 10

You qualify for item crafting feats thanks to your Ranger casting, but in general you'll cast Ranger spells from the Divine persona of your Chameleon levels. (And Paladin spells. And Cleric spells. And on the other side, Bard & Trapsmith & Wizard spells.)

DarkSoul
2016-11-09, 09:54 PM
Well, 20 rounds is plenty of time. Why the need for mystic ranger?Mystic Ranger gives up the animal companion and a few of their abilities come online a level or two later, in exchange for getting spells at level 1 and Spellcraft as a class skill. Presumably (and this is how I rule it as a DM; I have a mystic ranger PC) it gives you a caster level equal to your class level instead of half your class level. It also adds 5th-level ranger spells rather than stopping at 4th.

If you take it, talk to your DM about exchanging magic fang and the greater version for magic weapon and its greater version. You don't have an animal companion so enhancing natural attacks is virtually useless. Also, talk to them about getting wind tunnel, a 5th-level druid spell from the spell compendium, as a 5th-level ranger spell. It's very fitting for the class.

Vizzerdrix
2016-11-10, 11:38 AM
Dont forget, not only do you get 5th level spells, you get sweet, sweet cantrips as well.

If you wish for more sneak attack, you can use a few feats to grab craven and the manuvers that add a few sneak attack dice (their names slip my mind at the moment). A psudo animal companion can be had by taking wild cohort. Also I would like to point out peerless archer for its ability to make magical arrows, and power attack with a bow.

Eldariel
2016-11-10, 06:18 PM
I'll say this: Ranger Spells are really good for an Archer. Champions of Ruin in particular contains a veritable collection of wonderful Ranger Archer goodness though Spell Compendium alone goes a long way, and PHBII has Hunter's Eye. Thus, Mystic Ranger getting spells from level 1 (and 3rd level spells on level 6, on par with Sorcerer) really makes it very good at Archery.

Extra Anchovies
2016-11-11, 09:30 AM
If you're interesting in the spellcasting, the Order of the Shooting Star substitution levels (Champions of Valor) may be of interest. They trade Endurance for the 1/day ability to send a short message to the nearest other cleric, paladin, or ranger devoted to Mystra, but the real draw is trading the animal companion for a bonus spell slot of each spell level and +2 to their caster level; a 4th-level Shooting Star Ranger has 1 first-level spell per day (plus bonus spells) at a CL of 4.