PDA

View Full Version : Improving constructs

Crake
2016-11-10, 03:55 AM
So I'm possibly introducing a new PC as a nimblewright from MM2. A decent enough construct on it's own, however I was looking for ways that the player could improve upon it. I've been looking around for construct modifications, things to improve HP (since you can't just give him an amulet of +con), or to give it better bab/saves, since construct HD kinda sucks.

unseenmage
2016-11-10, 09:10 AM
Pathfinder PRD has the Building and Modifying Constructs (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateMagic/magic/buildingAndModifyingConstructs.html) section that's just what you're after. Allows one to add HD, weapons, armor etc. Beware, their price for adding ability score bonuses is completely borked. Do not use.

There are also construct modifications in Dragon #327. (sorry am on phone, will link/source later) (Later has arrived. :smallsmile:)

The spell Greater Humanoid Essence from Races of Eberron turns any Construct into a Humanoid for the duration. Allows fun stuff like lycanthropy and vampirism on Constructs. As well as spells like Telepathic Bond and Mineralize Warrior from the Underdark book.

Edit: The Arms and Equipment Guide has a sidebar about putting feats in Magic Items. I suggest Toughness and Improved Toughness. That or a houserule so Constructs get bonus hp from Str.

Afgncaap5
2016-11-10, 02:25 PM
As a side note, looking at it again makes me wonder if I've been reading Nimblewrights incorrectly all these years. I thought the critical hit's bonus damage was replaced by tripping, but looking again it looks like the tripping is in *addition* to the extra damage. Nice...

On that note, if we're adding feats through A&EG what about Luck feats? It might be tricky to explain, but if this is an NPC we're talking about, an ability to turn the rare mishap into an actual success through luck alone is something that most other constructs wouldn't ever get, but makes sense for a Nimblewright.

Hmm... I almost suggested Deflect Arrows, but it'd need the prerequisites. Plus it's already got Entropic Shield.

ShurikVch
2016-11-11, 03:10 PM
Note: all Constructs are count as Magic Items; Dwarvencraft (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040807a&page=6) template add +10 hp, +2 saves, and 2 hardness

unseenmage
2016-11-11, 03:37 PM
Note: all Constructs are count as Magic Items; Dwarvencraft (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040807a&page=6) template add +10 hp, +2 saves, and 2 hardness

They can but don't necessarilly. Golems are the only Constructs with language that calls them out as Magic Items.

I call it a Rules Interpretation simce some groups/GMs prefer their creatures and their items to be more or less seperate than others.

ShurikVch
2016-11-11, 03:53 PM
They can but don't necessarilly. Golems are the only Constructs with language that calls them out as Magic Items.Except, there is also
Craft Construct [Item Creation]
Prerequisites
Craft Magic Arms and Armor, Craft Wondrous Item.

Benefit
A creature with this feat can create any construct whose prerequisites it meets. Enchanting a construct takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its market price. To enchant a construct, a spellcaster must spend 1/25 the item’s price in XP and use up raw materials costing half of this price (see individual construct monster entries for details).

A creature with this feat can repair constructs that have taken damage. In one day of work, the creature can repair up to 20 points of damage by expending 50 gp per point of damage repaired.

A newly created construct has average hit points for its Hit Dice.
Item Creation Feats
An item creation feat lets a spellcaster create a magic item of a certain type. Regardless of the type of items they involve, the various item creation feats all have certain features in common.
Craft Construct feat allow to creat Constructs
Craft Construct is Item Creation Feat
Item Creation Feats allow to create magic items
Thus, Constructs are Magic Items

Thurbane
2016-11-11, 06:36 PM
Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but the Amulet of Tears (MIC) is a nice source to have a small pool of temporary hit points.

I have a Maug NPC in my game who uses levels in Crusader and the Combat Vigor feat to have sources of self healing.