PDA

View Full Version : Un-swashing

Human Paragon 3
2007-07-13, 08:56 AM
I'm playing a gestalt fighter/rogue with 18 INT. Is there a way to get INT added to damage without taking three mind-numbing levels of Swashbuckler?

Edit: INT to attack or any other relevant combat manuever would be fine, too.

Overlard
2007-07-13, 09:10 AM
What's wrong with the 3 levels of swashbuckler? If you're a dex-based melee-er, then you'd probably be taking weapon finesse anyway. The skills are better than fighter (in terms of number and choice) too. You're missing out on one feat in return for int to damage and grace, which seems like a good deal to me.

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-07-13, 09:16 AM
I heard the Warblade from ToB did something with int, but I don't own ToB so I don't know what.

Swooper
2007-07-13, 09:17 AM
Exactly how is Swashbuckler mind-numbing in a way that Fighter isn't? :smallconfused:

Leon
2007-07-13, 10:09 AM
I heard the Warblade from ToB did something with int, but I don't own ToB so I don't know what.

Warblade doresnt add Damage from Dex only a number of bounues

Fenix_of_Doom
2007-07-13, 10:18 AM
INT to attack or any other relevant combat manuever would be fine, too.
I think the things a warblade can do count as "relevant combat maneuver"

BTW
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20060802a&page=2

I knew I had read it on the internet some were, however without the ToB it's still not useful on it's own.

Tellah
2007-07-13, 10:25 AM
Take three levels of swashbuckler, take the Daring Outlaw feat from Complete Scoundrel, and fill up on Warblade levels from there on. Go look up the combo; it's not mind-numbing in the least. It's excellent. You could also grab a level of Factotum, which would allow you to add your INT bonus to all kinds of stuff.

Human Paragon 3
2007-07-13, 10:48 AM
1- No ToB.

2- The real reasons I'd like my Swashes unbuckled:
a)My STR and DEX are equal, so I get no benefit from weapon finesse
b)Grace is not an especially useful class feature
c)My AC will tank if i have to take off my shield and breast plate (good ol' fighter armor and shield proficiencies) and the insightful strike feature reqiures light or no armor
d)I wanted to mix in some sneak attack fighter, feat rogue, and expert in order to eek out more feats and sneak attack damage
e) I get no bonus from having a better skill selection, since I'll be using the rogue's skills from the other side of my gestalt

Person_Man
2007-07-13, 10:49 AM
As Tellah points out, Rogue/Swash with Daring Outlaw is the preferred melee+Skills combo, as it gives you full Sneak Attack progression, Int to damage, Weapon Finesse, and 19/20 BAB.

Warblade also works well for a variety of Int based bonuses. But if you're going Warblade, there's really no reason to dip into Rogue.

I'm also a very big fan of the Psychic Rogue (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040723b) for a PC that's Skillful and useful and capable of being near melee combat. Mind Cripple (2 points of Int damage, No Save) is deadly with TWF.

Name_Here
2007-07-13, 11:39 AM
1- No ToB.

c)My AC will tank if i have to take off my shield and breast plate (good ol' fighter armor and shield proficiencies) and the insightful strike feature reqiures light or no armor
d)I wanted to mix in some sneak attack fighter, feat rogue, and expert in order to eek out more feats and sneak attack damage
e) I get no bonus from having a better skill selection, since I'll be using the rogue's skills from the other side of my gestalt
I doubt there are any ways to get an int based attack bonus while armoring up with shield and breastplate. I'm sure somebody can give you more surety than I on that point.

Darrin
2007-07-13, 11:47 AM
1- No ToB.

*shudder* Don't... don't say things like that! That's just... ugh, don't... want to even think... about not having that book...

Can't help you there... although there's an alternative feat for Weapon Finesse in ToB that you might be able to swap it with if your DM is amenable.

Rolled a 20 on your "Understatement" check, eh?

Better start saving up for that mithril breastplate, then.

As several others have already mentioned, Daring Outlaw.

Fair enough, but the full BAB is a nice perk.

ClericofPhwarrr
2007-07-13, 12:00 PM

Have you seen what happens to rogues who wear non-light armor? (Hint: same thing as Swashbuckler.)

Human Paragon 3
2007-07-13, 12:09 PM
Have you seen what happens to rogues who wear non-light armor? (Hint: same thing as Swashbuckler.)

Not sure what you mean. I'll still be able to Feint and Sneak attack just fine. In combat I am more of a fighter than a rogue. Outside of combat I can take 10 or 20 on things, and I'm not a lock-picking, hiding, moving silently, picking pocket rogue anyway, I am just a highly skilled police officer (maxed sense motive etc).

Draz74
2007-07-13, 12:10 PM
Look here: X stat to Y bonus library (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=320889)

From this, I get:

- dip in Factotum for a one-time Int bonus to attack, damage, or a save
- dip in Invisible Blade for Int to AC
- dip in Montebank (PrC from Complete Scoundrel) for Int to social skills

In other words, no really impressive options. If Tome of Battle is completely "out", you might not have a better option than Swashbuckler.

AtomicKitKat
2007-07-13, 12:26 PM
Look here: X stat to Y bonus library (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=320889)

From this, I get:

- dip in Factotum for a one-time Int bonus to attack, damage, or a save
- dip in Invisible Blade for Int to AC
- dip in Montebank (PrC from Complete Scoundrel) for Int to social skills

In other words, no really impressive options. If Tome of Battle is completely "out", you might not have a better option than Swashbuckler.

Duelist gets "Int to AC" as well. It's just limited by the number of levels you take in it...

bosssmiley
2007-07-13, 02:07 PM
...mind-numbing levels of Swashbuckler?

*walks away* :smallannoyed:

Good link Draz74. Cheers

Shisumo
2007-07-13, 10:28 PM
This isn't likely to be much help, but the Eternal Blade PrC from Tome of Battle can add Int to attack and damage rolls against a specified type/subtype (Favored Enemy style, but chosen anew each encounter) for one or more encounters a day, depending on class level.