PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Optimizing/Building a truely spontaneous spellcaster class!

Incarnate
2016-11-10, 01:04 PM
Hey guys.

A few years ago I created a spontaneous spellcaster class for a game in which I wasn't the dm but was allowed to play it, even though certain parts was just "winged" so to speak, parts like progression for BAB, saves and such, class skills, etc. - basically just followed the wizard progression with exceptions. so I've decided to complete it and make it availaible for my players and other people who would like to use it.

The class in a nutshell: A class the revolves around being able to create magic as imagined - a true will mage, if you will. This class is based a lot more on skill rolls than on using something thats predetermined, like spells. Although I've realized that this class is most likely better as a prestige class than an actual base class - the reason is that I realized that the meta-magic feats: Still Spell, Silent Spell and Eschew Materials is what would define a will mage's spellcasting ability. But I'm really unsure if it should be a prestige class or a base class because it can be made to fit either.

So I'm unsure exactly to what progression it should have in terms of BAB, saves, class skill & class abilities, if it should use one thats already made or a custom one. I can say this though, will save is really important, the point that it spellcasting ability relies a lot on it. Spellcraft, Concentration & Knowledge(The weave) would in my opinion be core class skills for this class. It also has a few custom meta-skills which are Casting/Spellshaping(*) & Channeling(*).

In short: (will post the skill descriptions later on)
Casting/Spellshaping = The character's skill to shape the spell into reality = The Expression of the spell & actual output.
Channeling = The character skill to channel the respective spell-energies = The spell's type & power.
Knowledge (The Weave) = The character's understanding of the weave = The spell's potential level (in a sense).

The tables specific to this class to consult have already been created and of course are also subject to being optimized as this class is being created - which will be put in the next post.

The post is currently incomplete (due to time)... Will continue the post. But feel free to comment on the current.

Incarnate
2016-11-10, 01:05 PM
(reserved)