PDA

View Full Version : Risk/Reward cursed items?

Albions_Angel
2016-11-10, 03:21 PM
Hi all

Something specific for you. My party is level 3 (or will be about 10 minutes into the next session) and I want to start sprinkling some magic items. They are all 5e and are trying to avoid buying items (which is driving me up the wall, but oh well).

Ive been looking at cursed items, and funnily enough, they all suck. I am looking for items that arnt just straight up curses but have a use. Basically, giving them all +1 weapons and/or +2 stat items is a little much for me. They are already getting a considerable cash reward for this session, I know I could reduce it, but Im not totally sure the party will even pick up the magic items. Detect magic seems to be something they dont like doing for some reason. (Its all very odd to me. More or less the first thing my old group would do would be pop a detect magic up as soon as combat ended and check for hidden rooms. This new group kinda just stands there until I tell them where to go...)

Anyway, I am looking for a way to give them magic items, proper ones, 1000-2000 gp ones, but mitigate that with some curses. I am struggling to come up with some.

Basically, I dont want the standard "-2 sword". Im sorry, thats awful. At low levels, its just a hindrance, and a big one (I guess at mid levels, or even low levels with high op, its still a magic sword so that overcomes DR and incoporiality, but for my group, it would just suck).

The sort of thing I am thinking of is a +1 weapon, but using it causes you to have insatiable hunger unless you consume the flesh of a sentient creature you killed. No saves are rolled, you can resist, Im not even sure I would impose the hunger penalties as days pass (probably would), but pure role playing. After a week, you require a will save to draw any other weapon. Remove curse on you removes the hunger effect. Its a one time curse. The weapon is still +1. Its just a bit of a pain to have for a while. The curse would be triggerd on first kill, so there is a chance to detect evil on the blade and NOT use it.

Issue is, I have 0 idea if thats balanced, and I have no other ideas.

Im not looking to give them all something, but having one or two per party member that I could choose between would be nice.

Party is:

Neanderthal Barbarian (Spirit Lion Totem)
Halfling druid
Human Bard/Beguiler/Bard (fey heritage)
Grey Elf rogue (dagger wielding and throwing)
Raptoran DFA

and by then, MAYBE (because the player is being a bit of an ass) either a homicidal lawful-stupid paladin OR maybe, hopefully, a soulborn. Or maybe nothing. His lack of interest in replying to me is making planning the session a nightmare but I cant just ban him because hes best friends with another player.

Any help would be appreciated. Basically you are aiming for "my first magic weapon/armor/shield" or a stat increasing item, but with enough of a negative that you would be expecting to buy it for half price or less.

Jowgen
2016-11-10, 04:02 PM
Dragon Magazine 324 p. 74 has an article called Power at a Price, listing a good number of magic items that are good, but come with genuine drawbacks. Most of them are priced reasonably low, might be something good there in your party's range.