PDA

View Full Version : Feats at 3

Leon
2007-07-13, 09:41 AM
Arrgh cant decide on what feat to take at 3rd level

Background: Human Druid (See my Druid Discusion for all the details Linky - http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45912), Glaive/Unarmed Combat, is the Party leader for Almost killed [5 times below 0 hp],

Feat Idea's

Close-Quarters Fighting - Helps with my Style of combat

Extra Rage - Cant wait the 5 lvls needed to gain another use, also from most recently session multiple rages would have been useful

Improved Grapple - More on the Combat style, plus general usefulness

Rapid Metabolism - Helps me bounce back after Near Death occurances

Feel Free to comment and add your own suggestions

Dausuul
2007-07-13, 10:11 AM
Background: Human Druid (See my Druid Discusion for all the details)

A link to this "druid discussion" would be handy, given that rage was not a druid class feature last time I checked...

Darrin
2007-07-13, 11:37 AM
Arrgh cant decide on what feat to take at 3rd level
Close-Quarters Fighting - Helps with my Style of combat

Are you really grappled that often by creatures with Improved Grapple? I can't imagine this would be very useful, unless your DM has a tentacle fetish.

Extra Rage - Cant wait the 5 lvls needed to gain another use, also from most recently session multiple rages would have been useful

If you like the rage mechanics (I'm not a big fan of "fake HPs"), then this is a strong pick. Rage 4/day should be plenty.

Improved Grapple - More on the Combat style, plus general usefulness

Strongly disagree here. You're a spellcaster, the last place you want to be is in a grapple. Yes, I get that you're a combat-oriented spellcaster, but not being able to cast spells is too much of a disadvantage.

Rapid Metabolism - Helps me bounce back after Near Death occurances

You have Cure spells. Once you're out of a fight and able to rest, natural healing becomes a non-issue. Improved Toughness would be more useful in the long run.

Consider:

Sudden Extend - extremely useful for low-level druids, since a lot of your bread-and-butter spells have durations that can be easily doubled. Summon Nature's Ally, Longstrider, Barkskin, Flame Blade, Chill/Heat Metal, and Spider Climb. If you're using Complete Divine spells, Creeping Cold (6d6 damage) and Vigor (25 hp max) can be particularly effective.

Sudden Widen - Like Entangle needed to be worse. Once you get Call Lightning, your bolts become 5' x 10', and you might be able to get two targets with the same bolt.

Create Wondrous Item - Allows you to create "Lesser Restoration" one-shot pills/elixirs/thingamabobs, which cures post-rage fatigue. Also, there are several fairly low cost/high payoff wondrous items that can be created with druid spells:

Amulet of Natural Armor
Bag of Tricks (need some cheap flankers/trap finders?)
Necklace of Adaptation (never worry about a Swimming check again)
Pearl of Power ("Let me guess...Entangle AGAIN?")
Slippers of Spiderclimb (unlike the spell, leaves both hands free)

Diggorian
2007-07-13, 12:13 PM
I'm thinking Close-Quarters Fighter would be good assuming your DM uses the MM, since level three is the giant level (trolls, ogres, and ettin CR cluster around this level). Extra Rage sounds worth it.

If your DM allows it, maybe Shorten Grip from Dragon #331: use the glaive on adjents for a -2 to hit (which Rage will counter).

For the other two, I agree with Darrin.

Matthew
2007-07-14, 02:48 PM
I think I would vote for Extra Rage, though there are other worthwile Feats for improving your Glaive (such as Power Attack).

Leon
2007-07-15, 08:28 AM
Its down to Sudden Extend, Sudden Widen and Extra Rage

Power attack im iffy about as currently i have enough trouble hitting in the first place to even worry about dropping my Attack lower

And mused about in my other post i was thinking of a Mage Hunting PrC - Gone is that idea, taking the Mage hunter thing a bit to extremes i think for they are but one of a number of dangers in the world and i dont want to over specialize. Elf is going to be the next Fav Enemy - they are as common as mud
Also if i took a PrC i'd Lose the progession of the "Three Extra Classes" that i have in place of regualr druidical ability

Leon
2007-07-18, 02:13 AM
Maybe taking the Wastelander feat, found a new list of DS PrCs and if i get DM approval to modify the Spirt Incarnate (to accomodate the lack of Wildshape) im going to gun for that

Person_Man
2007-07-18, 09:08 AM
Well, I'm not sure why on earth you dropped Wildshape and spontaneous summoning, two of the most powerful class abilities in the entire game. But you're still a full caster, so you should be fine.

I suggest Spontaneous Healer feat from Complete Divine. It allows you to spontaneously heal as a Cleric Wis mod times per day. If you're having a hard time staying alive, this could be a huge boon for you.

If you're a Glaive wielder, then the standard Combat Reflexes+Combat Expertise+Improved Trip+Knock-Down always works well.

Also, do you have any desire to enter a Prestige Class? If so, you should start taking the pre-reqs now.

Matthew
2007-07-18, 09:22 AM
You have to read the earlier Thread, Person Man. He dropped them mainly to meet his Character concept.

Leon
2007-07-18, 01:16 PM
If i can get Spirit Incarnate (even for a Dip) its all good otherwise i'll stay with Vanillia (haha if you can call it that) Druid

1st Level of the PrC gets me Defiler Scent - Detect Defiler at will, Sacrifice - can reduce Razing damage at Hp loss and some Spirit thing similar to Wildshape (+hp perlvl, + Nat Armour, 10 Energy Resistance, 10+CL SR vs Arcane magic) that goes away once the threat is over

I'll meet the requiremts from Skills easily and the Feat will be easy - just need to get DM appoveval and sort out meeting with the spirit of the land

In regard to why - http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45912
plus i dont think i covered why i dropped Wild Shape

Simple: i dont like it

as for the Spont Summon, well they were easy to lose for the other variant that meshed so well with my concept

Matthew
2007-07-20, 06:48 AM
Hey, that's pretty cool. It is nice to have a new list of Dark Sun Prestige Classes.

Leon
2007-07-20, 07:44 AM
Wastelander it is - +1 Fort and +2 Survival are both very nice (for a total or +6 and +12 @ lvl 3)

Yeah the list has some nice PrCs - one i like the look of that i would take in a Instant if i wasnt playing this Druid was Elemental Champion [kinda a pix of Templar/paladin abilites with a smite and Small spell pool + some Anti Defiler abilites)

aswell as 4 Thri Kreen specific PrCs

Matthew
2007-07-22, 07:10 PM
Oh, did you bump your Character's Wisdom up to 18, then? [6 (Skill Ranks) + 2 (Wastelander) + 4 (Wisdom Attribute)]. Plenty of Synergy to be obtained from Knowledge Skills and such, as well.

Thrawn183
2007-07-22, 09:06 PM
Why is Close Quarters Fighting on the list? Doesn't it require +3 BAB? A druid at 3rd shouldn't qualify. (Just like a rogue can't take weapon finesse at 1st level :smalleek: .

Leon
2007-07-23, 01:41 AM
Thrawn is correct, i didnt notice the +3 BAB that it required (till now)

Next level i'll be Bumping my WIS upto 18, while being Ecl 4 we dont get anything untill our actual class is on the right level

Now have my druid linked in my Sig