PDA

View Full Version : Fighter/Barbarian Gestalt - Tavern Brawler

Gwazi Magnum
2016-11-10, 06:03 PM
Basically I'm looking to Gestalt in Fighter and Barbarian to make a character who focuses on punching things. Main focus is honestly being tanky, simulate a sort of "Drunken Brawler whose too stupid to stay down!" sort of deal. Having solid and reliable damage is obviously fairly valuable as well though, but I'd have a bigger priority in being a nuisance in the battlefield (not as big as being tanky though).

Also, I should note this character is intended for a very... silly campaign. And this guy might make occasional constant references to Terry Crews Old Spice. So any small flavour things to add on top of that would also be nice.

Sorry if this seems rushed or has a lack of detail, I'm currently half asleep and about to head off to bed.
I'll clarify things when I wake up if anything is confusing.

Thanks for help! :)

Jarlhen
2016-11-11, 01:45 AM
Grab 1 level rogue for expertise in athletics. And of course the tavern brawler feat. Maybe the grappler feat. Then 3 levels barbarian for bear totem. Rest fighter for battlemaster maneuvers. Job done.

Sicarius Victis
2016-11-11, 02:02 AM
Take the Mounted Combatant feat. After all, you're on a horse (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d5H0hObPtM).

Specter
2016-11-11, 09:05 AM
Being a nuisance in the field screams Wolf Barbarian. As for the fighter archetype, you can choose between Battlemaster for punching maneuvers or Champion for more critical punches.

Whatever you do, limit one of those classes to 4 levels, because Extra Attack won't stack. If you're planning to take more Barbarian than Fighter, then go Champion because Brutal Critical makes it very worth it.

Joe the Rat
2016-11-11, 10:11 AM
I would be sorely tempted to work this with an OotA Paladin // Barbarian. Good looking and naturally chatty, Tavern Brawler, Barbarian for the well-oiled pecs based AC and rage-smiting, and Find Steed.
Ancients seemed like the most good-natured-drunken-brawler-friendly of the oaths.

(Alternatively, go fighter, and see if you can get one of the mount Figurines of Wondrous Power. "I'm on a goat.")

Grod_The_Giant
2016-11-11, 11:42 AM
Fighter//Barbarian would have too much overlap, methinks; Monk//Barbarian would probably work better. Go Open Hand Monk and Eagle Totem to smack people around like a lunatic while you drunkenly weave across the battlefield.

Gwazi Magnum
2016-11-11, 02:05 PM
Take the Mounted Combatant feat. After all, you're on a horse (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d5H0hObPtM).

This is genius! <3
Punching people from on top a horse. :3

Being a nuisance in the field screams Wolf Barbarian. As for the fighter archetype, you can choose between Battlemaster for punching maneuvers or Champion for more critical punches.

Whatever you do, limit one of those classes to 4 levels, because Extra Attack won't stack. If you're planning to take more Barbarian than Fighter, then go Champion because Brutal Critical makes it very worth it.

But... Bear ;A;
Also, is one wasted Extra Attack really that bad?
Barbarian and Fighter both get some pretty strong abilities later, and the only way to fully avoid Extra Attack stacking would a ton of pointless mutli-classing.

Didn't consider the Champion and Brutal Critical combo though. o_o
Definitely taking advantage of that.

Fighter//Barbarian would have too much overlap, methinks; Monk//Barbarian would probably work better. Go Open Hand Monk and Eagle Totem to smack people around like a lunatic while you drunkenly weave across the battlefield.

I was originally considering Monk, the issue was it's a DEX focused class which doesn't get along with Rage.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-11-11, 02:46 PM
I was originally considering Monk, the issue was it's a DEX focused class which doesn't get along with Rage.
Eh... especially with Rage for the defensive boost, you don't need so much Dex-- a 14 is as good as any light armor if you use Unarmored Defense, and you can still make attacks with Str if you so choose. And it gives you so many extra attacks, so much control, so many nice defenses, and a fair bit of extra unarmed damage to boot. Just think about the pleasure of combing Flurry of Blows and the bonus damage from Rage.

It might also be worth asking the DM if they can bend the rules and let you stack the two Unarmored Defenses to go 10+Con+Wis.

Specter
2016-11-11, 04:36 PM
But... Bear ;A;
Barbarian and Fighter both get some pretty strong abilities later, and the only way to fully avoid Extra Attack stacking would a ton of pointless mutli-classing.

Didn't consider the Champion and Brutal Critical combo though. o_o
Definitely taking advantage of that.

Not a ton really. By going Champ 4/Barb 16, you get insane crits, never dying, more rage and other neat stuff. By going Champ 16/Barb 4, you get more frequent crits, two fighting styles, 7 ASI's (more than enough to boost STR and CON to max and grab some feats) and three attacks.

Monk can work, but you would need STR, DEX, CON and WIS. Too rough.

bid
2016-11-11, 05:52 PM
Not if you want the level 6 feature.

RickAllison
2016-11-11, 05:55 PM
Not if you want the level 6 feature.

Plus it is gestalt. Considering how little else is redundant, it works as a combo.

Specter
2016-11-11, 06:38 PM
You could also convince your dm to make that extra attack turn your punch damage to ad6, which would be nice.

Gwazi Magnum
2016-11-11, 08:30 PM
I feel the need to remind people it's Gestalt.

Gestalt being a D&D 3.5 Unearthed Arcana rule we chose to carry over where someone levels up at two classes at each level up, where if two Classes give the same benefit (Proficiency, Health per level etc.) you pick the higher of the two classes.

Eh... especially with Rage for the defensive boost, you don't need so much Dex-- a 14 is as good as any light armor if you use Unarmored Defense, and you can still make attacks with Str if you so choose. And it gives you so many extra attacks, so much control, so many nice defenses, and a fair bit of extra unarmed damage to boot. Just think about the pleasure of combing Flurry of Blows and the bonus damage from Rage.

It might also be worth asking the DM if they can bend the rules and let you stack the two Unarmored Defenses to go 10+Con+Wis.

Fair point on the extra punches.

I suppose I could do Monk 1/Fighter 19//Barbarian 20
That way I get the bonus action punch utility and some extra AC (which is extra nice because I'll likely use Hill Dwarf for more HP. Which gives a bonus to Wisdom).
Plus, it removes the need for Tavern Brawler as a feat.

I know I could do Monk 2 for the Flurry, but that costs Ki which makes it's use limited to levels of Monk.
And frankly speaking, Fighter just has too much to offer that synergies with Barbarian with better critical, healing means, fighting styles, and extra ability score boosts (which would help with the Monk MAD once I get the perks I need).

You could also convince your dm to make that extra attack turn your punch damage to ad6, which would be nice.

Maybe, it's worth asking the question for substitutes cause everyone will likely hit this problem.

Edit: He said no to substitutions period.

Gwazi Magnum
2016-11-20, 10:18 PM
Ok, I've been reviewing a bit, mainly into Grappling and Mounted Combat and I think I have a new general gameplan

Monk//Barbarian
Goliath Race
Focuses on riding around on a horse in order to quickly snag people and then pin and pummel them into submission.