PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying World Building Help

JumboWheat01
2016-11-10, 10:00 PM
In awe of my DM's amazing world building abilities and the fact that I've been playing a CRAP ton of D&D based stuff, I've been trying my own hand at doing a bit of world building. It's coming along so far, but I feel like I need something more in the races department, though I'm not sure what. All I know is that I've flat-out removed the "half-breed" races for reasons I'm still not sure why, but I want to keep it that way.

So far I have...

Humans
Dwaves (Mountain & Hill)
Elves (High & Wood)
Halflings (Lightfoot & Stout)
Gnomes (Deep, Rock & Forest)
Dragonborn (Metallic & Chromatic)

I've split the Dragonborn into two sub-races, the Metallic gaining the +1 to Charisma, Persuasion and the half-orc "survive one hit" thing, while the Chromatic have +1 to Wisdom, Intimidation and the half-orc "extra weapon die on a critical" thing.

I feel like there's room for one more race, and I need help choosing one. Suggestions?

Dromuthra
2016-11-10, 10:31 PM
I mean, Orcs are generally a good choice. They can have interesting cultural options, depending on how you want to write them, and especially if you do away with the automatic good/bad racial requirements. Some tribes could be raiders, others might be nomads, and still others might develop communities and townships. There's a lot of interesting tensions with other races that you could play with too.

Kitten Champion
2016-11-11, 02:17 AM
I think it would depend more on the broader details of the setting. Any race can work if you want them to, but the question would be what thematic foothold can you give them that differentiates them from every other race?

If the mechanics are what are at issue, I think what you did with the Dragonborn is a fine compromise.