PDA

View Full Version : Scribe Scroll Help

DarkJimWizzard
2016-11-11, 06:58 AM
i need some help to understand the Scribe Scroll feat.

it says:
("You can create a scroll of any spell that you know. Scribing a scroll takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its base price. The base price of a scroll is its spell level × its caster level × 25 gp. To scribe a scroll, you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one-half of this base price.

Any scroll that stores a spell with a costly material component or an XP cost also carries a commensurate cost. In addition to the costs derived from the base price, you must expend the material component or pay the XP when scribing the scroll.")

does this mean that:
1000 GP is 24 hours work.
500 Gp is 12 hours work.
250 GP is 6 hours work.
125 GP is 3 hours work.
62 GP and 5 SP is 1 hours and 30 minutes work.
31 GP, 2 SP and 5 CP is 45 minutes work.
15 GP, 6 SP ans 2 CP is 22 minutes work.

-and does it mean that 0 lvl spell have no cost or time?
-and how do you find the time for 1 lvl spell of a 1 lvl caster (1 X 1 X 25)

flappeercraft
2016-11-11, 08:11 AM
On the cost on a CL 1 1st level spell then it would be 25 GP, on 0 level spells they usually count as 1/2 for that purpose and on times i'm not sure but it probably says it on the DMG

Venger
2016-11-11, 09:17 AM
i need some help to understand the Scribe Scroll feat.

it says:
("You can create a scroll of any spell that you know. Scribing a scroll takes one day for each 1,000 gp in its base price. The base price of a scroll is its spell level × its caster level × 25 gp. To scribe a scroll, you must spend 1/25 of this base price in XP and use up raw materials costing one-half of this base price.

Any scroll that stores a spell with a costly material component or an XP cost also carries a commensurate cost. In addition to the costs derived from the base price, you must expend the material component or pay the XP when scribing the scroll.")

does this mean that:
1000 GP is 24 hours work.
500 Gp is 12 hours work.
250 GP is 6 hours work.
125 GP is 3 hours work.
62 GP and 5 SP is 1 hours and 30 minutes work.
31 GP, 2 SP and 5 CP is 45 minutes work.
15 GP, 6 SP ans 2 CP is 22 minutes work.

-and does it mean that 0 lvl spell have no cost or time?
-and how do you find the time for 1 lvl spell of a 1 lvl caster (1 X 1 X 25)

No.

When it comes to crafting, the rules only allow you to work 8 hours in a day on crafting. 1 day's work/1000gp = 8 hours, 2 days/2000 = 16 hours (over the course of 2 days) and so forth.

the minimum is one day. you can't craft more than one in a day.

as mentioned in the rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm) for making scrolls, a 0th level spell is half the cost of a first, like normal.

the time involved would default to 1 day since it's less than 1000. a 1st level spell would cost 25 gp and 1xp.

Troacctid
2016-11-11, 12:56 PM
All magic items require a minimum of 8 hours. However, you can get around this problem somewhat by crafting one scroll that contains multiple spells, so that you don't have to spend a month just to scribe 500 gp's worth of cantrips.

Afgncaap5
2016-11-11, 01:48 PM
All magic items require a minimum of 8 hours. However, you can get around this problem somewhat by crafting one scroll that contains multiple spells, so that you don't have to spend a month just to scribe 500 gp's worth of cantrips.

Yeah, this has always bugged me. I like some of the variants in other systems, though. In 3.5 you can make a single scroll with a lot of different spells on it as a single item (I had a wizard who loved magic tricks who used this to make "decks of cards" where each card in the scroll/deck was a different spell). I think if you're in Pathfinder, though, they insist that each "charge" on a scroll is an item rather than the scroll being the item itself (I might be misremembering this, though.) However, I think Pathfinder also allows for cheap magic scrolls and potions to be made in less than 8 hours to help get around this issue?

I sort of combine both methods in my games, but that's veering into homebrew territory.

But yeah... basically, creating items is so mind-numbingly complex that no matter how close you are to finishing it'll take a full day of planning, formulating, and arranging things to finish.

Troacctid
2016-11-11, 02:52 PM
I don't know how it works in PF, but OP was asking about 3.5 so it seems moot.