PDA

View Full Version : Three man party

Laserlight
2016-11-11, 11:15 AM
Halfway through PotA, we TPK'd and are rolling new Level 8 characters. PHB and SCAG, probably no UA.

David (formerly bard) is taking a Vengeance Paladin with Great Weapon fighting style.
Scott (formerly fighter) rolled 16 15 15 15 15 14.
I (formerly swashbuckler/battlemaster) rolled 17 17 16 15 15 11, with the opportunity for MAD shenanigans that wouldn't normally be available to people who don't sacrifice kittens to the Dice Gods.

What builds would you take with those stats?

Naanomi
2016-11-11, 11:44 AM
With only three people, you have trouble keeping folks off the back line... so everyone needs to be able to take a hit, or you need to summon allies, or you need someone who can who can draw attention to himself.

You also have a more limited pool of skills to draw from, someone focusing on that would be useful, a Lore Bard mostly but also a Rogue of some type could work

Also, utility magic (especially ritual magic) can be hard to come by; a wizard or tomelock can cover that well

Of course....

If you are building a whole party you can have some fun; like... a battle master/monk/Warlock party and have no one needing a long rest ever or the like

Breashios
2016-11-11, 11:52 AM
All I can tell you is as the DM for that campaign, I am having a real problem putting any hurt on the Arcane Trickster using Blur. He takes no damage from most attacks with a Dexterity save, and even if I do hit him in melee, he can take half damage on one blow each turn. His only weakness is against spells targeting wisdom. Resilient (Wisdom) is something I am glad he has not been able to pick yet. With those scores either of you that have not picked a class yet have an opportunity to do that.

Full disclosure: The group I DM for have 5 to 6 characters (one player is hit or miss), so the dynamic might be better for the Trickster, but I don't think it would make much difference. He rarely gets a buff from anyone else.

Specter
2016-11-11, 12:29 PM
As I always say, the difference between good numbers in some stats and good numbers all around is the possibility for any multiclass you like. Hunter Ranger/Ancients Paladin comes to mind as both dangerous and awesome, for instance.

CursedRhubarb
2016-11-11, 02:08 PM
With your stats you could try an unusual Barbarian build that looks like fun.

Half-Elf
Entertainer Background
(Dancer, Instrumentalist, Storyteller)

ASI to grab feats
Mage Slayer
Shield Master

Stats after racial would be:

Go totem path and get:
3rd - Eagle
6th - Tiger (SCAG)

This lets you start with AC of 19, movement speed of 40ft., average HP of 93, and skill proficiency in 8 skills. I'd go with: Acrobatics, Athletics, Perception, Performance, Stealth, Survival, Insight, and Nature.

Using either a Longsword or Warhammer as a weapon so you've a versitile option. Your feats/totems let's you close the gap on enemy casters and do a good job at shutting them down and become hard for them to handle as if they try and hit you with a save-or-suck they will either take an AoO for moving away or you likely shrug it off (advantage on spell save within 5ft and good stat mods, can possibly use reaction to add shield to Dex save, and making Dex save =0 dmg)

From here, you can continue in Barbarian or MC into Fighter with Dueling Fight Style and future ASI can cap STR, CON, and DEX, or cap STR and go for more feats.

Naanomi
2016-11-11, 02:35 PM
Oh, weird multiclass combinations? Swashbuckler Rogue 12/Warlock 2/Shadow Monk 6 (not in that order) ninja build? Or avoid obvious optimization paths and make a Rogue 6/Bard 10/Warlock 3/Cleric 1 that is proficient in every skill (and has expertise in 10 of them)?

If you want to stay single classed, Barbarian can start looking pretty ridiculous with stats like those, even if choosing a non-optimized race. Take, for example, this Hill Dwarf:
17/17/18/11/16/15; ASI: +1 STR/+1 DEX; +2 STR; +2 CON, +2 DEX, Toughness... absolute maximum HP, functional maximum AC

Laserlight
2016-11-11, 02:51 PM
Oh, weird multiclass combinations? Swashbuckler Rogue 12/Warlock 2/Shadow Monk 6 (not in that order) ninja build? Or avoid obvious optimization paths and make a Rogue 6/Bard 10/Warlock 3/Cleric 1 that is proficient in every skill (and has expertise in 10 of them)?

L8 builds, not L20. Given we're halfway through the book, I doubt we'll see L12.

Naanomi
2016-11-11, 03:02 PM
L8 builds, not L20. Given we're halfway through the book, I doubt we'll see L12.
Copy that... lets see... the 'knows every skill' build...
Variant Human (Skilled Feat)
Rogue 2/Cleric 1/Warlock 2/Bard 3
Background: Almost doesn't matter, be sure not to get Persuasion or Deception
Stats: 11/15/18/15/16/18
Skills: All + Thief Tools + some stuff from background (avoid disguise kit and forgery kit perhaps, you'll get them with mastermind levels in the long run)
Medium armor and shield; Cunning action; combat action is mostly blast away with Eldritch Blast; out of combat you can do everything; remember to use Guidance constantly (your God doesn't mind)

Pursue your choice of bard or rogue, perhaps picking up one more level in Warlock if you feel like it (go Chain, your invisible pet can 'aid' every action); grab your last two points in Charisma when you get an ASI; if you happen to get a second ASI before level 12 then... whatever cast thing you want to do with it... resilient perhaps or warcaster

Herobizkit
2016-11-11, 08:26 PM
Monk/Druid, flavor to taste.

If your team is into battle shenanigans, go the Grappler route with Monk and take the Open Hand path at 3.

5 Druid gets you your first 3rd-level magic.

Half-Orc for race.

Enjoy. :)

Laserlight
2016-11-11, 10:34 PM
Scott (16 15 15 15 15 14) is leaning toward cleric 1 / bard 7 skillmonkey. So I just need to figure out what I'm going to take.

Naanomi
2016-11-11, 11:09 PM
Here is the monk/rogue/lok build condensed into 8 levels, serving as a scout with ranged potential if needed. I chose a charisma class because with a Bard and a Paladin already in the party, you may not want to be 'dead weight' in social situations. Exploit Magical Darkness to the fullest

Half-Elf
Rogue 1/Old One Warlock 2/Shadow Monk 5
11/18 (+2)/15/15/18/18
Expertise in Stealth + (whatever)
Agonizing Blast, Devil's Sight

For leveling up, get another level in Monk then the rest pours into Rogue (Swashbuckler)

Laserlight
2016-11-16, 10:53 PM
I've realized that with these stats, I could do a Shadowmonk/Undying Light lock/Emo sorc.

Not that I'm going to. I'm just going to, you know, type it up to see what it looks like.

Gastronomie
2016-11-16, 11:17 PM
Sorcadin would work wonders with those stats, but there's already a Paladin, right? Might make him feel bad. If he's fine with it, though, will be hilarious. Perhaps take Twinned for next level, with Greater Invisibility and Polymorph… stuff like that.

Anyhow, be a Gish; with those sorts of stats, it's a waste not to be one. Perhaps a Bladelock (Fighter 1/ Warlock 7). At this level, Archfey get Greater Invisibility for hilarious combat prowess, while GOOlocks get Evard's Tentacle Rape. Good place to start a Bladelock.

Or, alternatively, you could be a super-powerful Barbarian. But it's not that recommended.

Vogonjeltz
2016-11-16, 11:46 PM
Halfway through PotA, we TPK'd and are rolling new Level 8 characters. PHB and SCAG, probably no UA.

David (formerly bard) is taking a Vengeance Paladin with Great Weapon fighting style.
I (formerly swashbuckler/battlemaster) rolled 17 17 16 15 15 11, with the opportunity for MAD shenanigans that wouldn't normally be available to people who don't sacrifice kittens to the Dice Gods.

It doesn't matter the stats are largely irrelevent. Pick a good composition where the class abilities support or balance each other out and you'll get farther. I.e. Wizard, Fighter and Rguish or cleric.

Gastronomie
2016-11-16, 11:57 PM
It doesn't matter the stats are largely irrelevent. Pick a good composition where the class abilities support or balance each other out and you'll get farther. I.e. Wizard, Fighter and Rguish or cleric.There are certain classes that can fill multiple jobs with enough stats, though. Bladelocks, Bladesingers, and Sorcadins are like that, as are many other classes.

Laserlight
2016-11-16, 11:58 PM
Sorcadin would work wonders with those stats, but there's already a Paladin, right? Might make him feel bad. If he's fine with it, though, will be hilarious. Perhaps take Twinned for next level, with Greater Invisibility and Polymorph… stuff like that.

Anyhow, be a Gish; with those sorts of stats, it's a waste not to be one. Perhaps a Bladelock (Fighter 1/ Warlock 7). At this level, Archfey get Greater Invisibility for hilarious combat prowess, while GOOlocks get Evard's Tentacle Rape. Good place to start a Bladelock.

Or, alternatively, you could be a super-powerful Barbarian. But it's not that recommended.

Sorcadin is indeed the plan--I've been using "Unlimited Blade Works: The Guide to the Ultimate Paladin/Sorcerer Multiclass"
Favored Soul (Light domain) 6 / Paladin 2 with rapier and shield. The "real" paladin is Vengeance with 2HW. I don't think we'll overlap too much. I'm pondering feats right now--obviously Warcaster, but should I also get Elemental Adept, or Mobile, or just bump CHA (or DEX) to 20? (We get a free starting feat, so I'll have two). Decisions, decisions...

After half elf racials but before ASIs, stats are 15 18 18 11 15 18.

Gastronomie
2016-11-17, 12:10 AM
Thanks for using mah guide~ :3

Pumping DEX or CHA is generally better than an extra feat on top of War Caster. DEX boosts AC, stealth and initiative, making you a better warrior, while CHA boosts your casting and makes you a better Caster. Both are good, so it depends on your party composition and personal preference, but seeing as how it's a 3-man party and defensiveness is important to reduce the risk of TPK, I might recommend boosting AC. You can honestly go with either, though.

Apart from that, I strongly advice you start your career in Paladin for WIS save proficiency (CON save proficiency of the Sorcerer overlaps with War Caster, which is mandatory for S&B anyway).

Laserlight
2016-11-17, 12:44 AM
Thanks for using mah guide~ :3

Pumping DEX or CHA is generally better than an extra feat on top of War Caster. DEX boosts AC, stealth and initiative, making you a better warrior, while CHA boosts your casting and makes you a better Caster. Both are good, so it depends on your party composition and personal preference, but seeing as how it's a 3-man party and defensiveness is important to reduce the risk of TPK, I might recommend boosting AC. You can honestly go with either, though.

Apart from that, I strongly advice you start your career in Paladin for WIS save proficiency (CON save proficiency of the Sorcerer overlaps with War Caster, which is mandatory for S&B anyway).

It looks like it's going to be a three-man, one-woman party--the bard player is planning to bring his wife, who's a neophyte. She'll have a Champion with PAM and sentinel, most likely.

I'm going to start with Sorc, though, as the Paladin's proficiency with full plate only adds +1AC to my half-plate-plus-DEX, and I'd rather have CON than WIS--Fey Ancestry and the presence of our Real Paladin should help me wih WIS saves, and I detest losing Concentration.

I'll add to CHA.

Malifice
2016-11-17, 01:57 AM

Normal (not Variant) Human. Turns them into an 18, 18, 17, 16, 16, 12.

At 8th level you'll have two free ASI/ Feats (3 if a Fighter). I'd go a Caster (lets say Wizard) for a half feat (resilient Con) to bump the 17 to an 18 (and get the all important Con saves) and finally increase one of the 18s (int) to 20.

S: 12
D: 18
C: 18
I: 20
W: 16
Ch: 16

Alternatively, consider a Bladesinger Wizard 4, Fighter 2, Paladin 2 (Elf).

Stats (after racial mods and 4th level Wizard ASI used for +1 to Con and Int)

S 16
D 20
C 18
I 20
W 12
Ch 16

Take Fighter at 1st (Con saves, d10 Hit Dice) and the TWF style. Remaining levels don't matter. Take the defence F/S as a paladin should you ever find any magical light armor. After the game starts, you're only ever taking Wizard levels.

Paladin levels add bless, cure wounds and searing smite to your spell list, and let you spam slots for smites for extra melee damage (countering the main weakness of the Bladesinger). Fighter levels for Con saves, TWF goodness (more attacks = more smites) and all the happiness of Action surge (spell + spell).

Caster level is 5th. At 20th it winds up at 17th (9th level slots) and you get all the Bladesinger school goodness.

Hit points at 8th are 10+6+6+6+4+4+4+4+32 [76] which is huge (and neatly fixes the other weakness with blade singers).

Foxhound438
2016-11-17, 02:20 AM
With only three people, you have trouble keeping folks off the back line... so everyone needs to be able to take a hit, or you need to summon allies, or you need someone who can who can draw attention to himself.

For this reason I would recommend something that gets conjure animals, by whatever means you prefer, and probably also some higher level summon spells. Druid immediately jumps out to me, so long as you go land. SR spell recovery is pretty important, if you ask me.

Since summons are probably taking your concentration 9 fights out of 10, probably pick a circle that gives you some decent burst AOE; Arctic gets ice storm and cone of cold, so I'd personally go with that, open any given fight that I expect to be hard with one of those, then summon up.

It's not super flashy, but it does cover a lot of bases- frontline power, AOE damage, healing to a lesser extent, and some occasional control/support.

Probably the best way to abuse your high stats in this case is to take a few levels of sorc to get metamagic and a few more good L1/L2 spell options, utility wise at least.