PDA

View Full Version : Artificer Advice

2016-11-11, 02:04 PM
Quick summary: 12th lvl Artificer with ~130k worth of gp magic items left I can buy (including what's listed below). I'm at the point where it's time to start buying up wands, eternal wands, and scrolls. Wands will be dedicated to spells I need to cast frequently, eternal wands for spells I need to cast only a few times per day but need to cast a lot over time, and scrolls for spells I only need a few times at all. Eternal Wands are limited to 3rd lvl or lower spells, Wands to 4th lvl or lower, and scrolls aren't limited at all as far as level goes. I have Extend Spell, Chain Spell, Twin Spell, Quicken Spell, and Persistent Spell that I can apply to wands and scrolls (although I'd have to check to see if I can apply them to Eternal Wands). Additionally, I expect the DM to allow Chain Spell to work on ray spells. EDIT: Confirmed, DM is allowing it.

Current Items:
Wand Of Hold Person (CL 5) (nice with any metamagic)
Wand Of Bands Of Steel (CL 5) (nice with most metamagic)
Wand Of 'Ocular' Acid Arrow (CL 3) (broken with Persistent)
Wand Of Acid Arrow (CL 12) (nice with most metamagic, particularly Chain)
Wand Of Ice Knife (CL 6) (nice with Chain)
Wand Of Magic Missile (CL 3) (nice with Twin/Quicken)
Wand Of Magic Missile (CL 5) (nice with Twin/Quicken)
Wand Of Scorching Ray (CL 7) (nice with Twin/Quicken)
Wand Of Knock (CL 3) (nice with Chain)
Wand Of Dispel Magic (CL 5) (nice with Chain)

Currently looking for suggestions on what to stick in some Eternal Wands or some scrolls, preferably some utility stuff. Any ideas?

Troacctid
2016-11-11, 02:50 PM
Are schemas an option? What is your standard persistomancy lineup?

2016-11-11, 03:29 PM
Are schemas an option? What is your standard persistomancy lineup?

Schemas are allowed, although I wasn't intending to use them necessarily, and I'd probably need to replace a feat to get them. As for as persistomancy goes, the only thing I know for sure i'm gonna want up most days is Haste, so a wand or two wouldn't be a waste, but beyond that...I'm not sure what I'd want; Bless, Prayer, Mass Lesser Vigor perhaps?

I've got +44 UMD, so I can persist stuff from scrolls fairly easily should the occasion call for it.

Troacctid
2016-11-11, 04:36 PM
From here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427628-Disregard-Money-Acquire-Buff-Spells-Artificers-without-the-Artifice):

An artificer using his infusions well can get any spell of up to 4th level off any list, and that's a massive amount of spells to sift through. Going through the lists of good persistable buffs in various cleric and incantatrix handbooks is a start, but there's a lot of stuff off lists that might be good, too. One thing to note is that through spell-storing item and metamagic item, you can put Personal-range buff spells on other people if they have the UMD to use the wand, or if they have the spell on their spell list. Want to stick divine power on the rogue? Go ahead, now he has full BAB.

Here are some good spells for persisting with spell-storing item and metamagic item. This is not by any means exhaustive, but it's a good place to start. Most of the time, a noncasting artificer will have between 2 and 4 buff spells persisted on their person, depending on if they wanted to spend exp that day or give buffs to allies. It's possible to get more if you have a very high Int or good items, though. In any case, through these spells, you can generally become whatever you want. Turn into a pretend rogue by persisting hunter’s eye for sneak attack and greater invisibility for stealthiness. Want to be a fighter today? Divine power and wraithstrike mean you’re going to hit more often than not. Need to fly? Footsteps of the gods is a 40ft (perfect) fly speed.

Embrace the Wild (SpC)
Improvisation (SpC)
Lesser Vigor (CD)
Linked Perception (PHB2)
Primal Hunter (DM) [does not need to be persisted; extend it instead for 48 hour duration]
Shield (SRD)

Alter Self (SRD)
Bite of the Wererat (SpC)
Blur (SRD)
Cloud of Knives (SpC)
Fly, Swift (SpC)
Haste, Swift (SpC)
Hunter's Eye (SpC)
Primal Instinct (DM) [does not need to be persisted; extend it instead for 48 hour duration]
Wraithstrike (CA)

Bite of the Werewolf (SpC)
Blindsight (SpC)
Blink (SRD)
Displacement (SRD)
Primal Senses (DM) [does not need to be persisted; extend it instead for 48 hour duration]
That Art Thou (OA)
Vigor, Mass Lesser (CD)

Bite of the Wereboar (SpC)
Consumptive Field (SpC)
Divine Power (SRD)
Footsteps of the Gods (CC)
Freedom of Movement (SRD)
Greater Invisibility (SRD)
Mirror Image, Greater (PHB2)
Permeable Form (LoM)
Primal Speed(DM) [does not need to be persisted; extend it instead for 48 hour duration]
Ray Deflection (SpC)
Recitation (SpC)
Sirine’s Grace (SpC)

Forrestfire's handbook really highlights the power of what the class can do without even having to craft anything.

Two things that aren't mentioned in this quote are concurrent infusions, which allows you to use spell-storing item without the xp cost and is great in a schema; and unfettered heroism, which can be persisted to give you functionally unlimited action points to bypass the long casting times of some of your infusions.

2016-11-11, 05:58 PM
From here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?427628-Disregard-Money-Acquire-Buff-Spells-Artificers-without-the-Artifice):

Forrestfire's handbook really highlights the power of what the class can do without even having to craft anything.

Two things that aren't mentioned in this quote are concurrent infusions, which allows you to use spell-storing item without the xp cost and is great in a schema; and unfettered heroism, which can be persisted to give you functionally unlimited action points to bypass the long casting times of some of your infusions.

Much appreciated! Thanks. :smallsmile: