PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Is there a playable fire elemental race?

LoyalPaladin
2016-11-11, 03:42 PM
I'm looking to build a fire based sorcerer and I was hoping to make it some sort of fire being. I haven't been able to turn up any sort of playable fire elemental, but I was looking to achieve something a little more over the top than a genasi. Something more in line with the Human Torch's "flame on" form or Sol from SMITE. Thanks, playground!

Draconium
2016-11-11, 03:45 PM
There's a Fire Elemental savage progression in Savage Species, and I think there's a Half-Elemental template to be found somewhere as well.

Alternatively, you can use any part of your body in an Unarmed Strike. So get a Necklace of Natural Attacks keyed to your US, get the Flaming enhancement, and declare your US to be a body slam. "Flame On," indeed. :smalltongue:

Flickerdart
2016-11-11, 03:52 PM
I'm looking to build a fire based sorcerer and I was hoping to make it some sort of fire being. I haven't been able to turn up any sort of playable fire elemental, but I was looking to achieve something a little more over the top than a genasi. Something more in line with the Human Torch's "flame on" form or Sol from SMITE. Thanks, playground!

Azer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/azer.htm) are dwarves that are on fire.

I would recommend that you stick to normal races, however - racial hit dice and level adjustment will destroy your spell progression, all for the sake of abilities that spellcasting can already provide.

Inevitability
2016-11-11, 04:08 PM
There's the fire mephling and the fire gnome from Planar Handbook.

LoyalPaladin
2016-11-11, 04:08 PM
There's a Fire Elemental savage progression in Savage Species, and I think there's a Half-Elemental template to be found somewhere as well.
I found the fire elemental progression, which is basically what I want... except I can't take any class levels until 15.

Half-Elemental doesn't have a listed LA, so I don't think I'd be able to use it.

Alternatively, you can use any part of your body in an Unarmed Strike. So get a Necklace of Natural Attacks keyed to your US, get the Flaming enhancement, and declare your US to be a body slam. "Flame On," indeed. :smalltongue:
Bahahaha.

Azer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/azer.htm) are dwarves that are on fire.
Hmm. Noted.

I would recommend that you stick to normal races, however - racial hit dice and level adjustment will destroy your spell progression, all for the sake of abilities that spellcasting can already provide.
Yeah, if I had a 24/7 "Elemental Body" spell, I'd just go human and do that.

Troacctid
2016-11-11, 04:13 PM
Half-Elemental doesn't have a listed LA, so I don't think I'd be able to use it.
It got one in the update booklet.

There's always heart of fire and friends.

No basis for this in the rules AFAICT. You can't use a body slam as an unarmed strike.

Flickerdart
2016-11-11, 04:37 PM
You can get permanent alter self from 5 levels of Master Transmogrifist, but you lose 2 caster levels for the privilege. You can also polymorph any object yourself into a fire elemental twice, making the duration Permanent.

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-11, 05:53 PM
Genasi from the Forgotten Realms include fire types.

ShurikVch
2016-11-11, 06:07 PM
How about the Elemental Savant PrC?

The cheapest templates there (AFAIK) are Half-Elemental (LA: +3) and Fire Element Creature (+4)

Article "Prestige Races" in Dragon #304 have Sculpt Self feat; maybe you may take it with Flame Focus?

Rebel7284
2016-11-11, 06:27 PM
Are races of fire from Unearthed Arcana close enough? Fire Elves make for great wizards! Less good socerers thought.

Flickerdart
2016-11-11, 07:24 PM
Genasi from the Forgotten Realms include fire types.

The OP specifically states that genasi are insufficient.

Calthropstu
2016-11-12, 10:24 AM
There's the ifrit from pathfinder... a fire elemental-human cross breed.

Bohandas
2016-11-12, 11:17 AM
You could play a Magmin.

The DM would have to decide on a level adjustment though because they don't have an official one

Their HD and CR are low enough though that it shouldn't be excessively high

Afgncaap5
2016-11-12, 01:32 PM

Well, if your character happens to have a frankly ludicrous amount of gold, you could always purchase some elemental grafts. In particular...

-Elemental Flesh [Fire]: 50% chance to ignore extra damage from critical hits and sneak attacks and the stunning effect, because your flesh is made of Fire, and not quite stable enough to be called a "discernible anatomy." A not-so-stunning 31,000 gold.
-Hands of Flame: You can "flame on" for your hands, making your touch cause 1d6 points of fire damage, and you immediately set combustible things on fire. Even better, the fire radiates heat through metal weapons, meaning that your weapons *also* deal an extra 1d6 points of fire damage. Slightly more reasonable at 13,000 gold pieces.
-Incendiary Skin: Visually a more literal "flame on" effect, you can start giving off waves of heat and anyone hitting you from melee range takes 1d6 damage (though you take a bit of damage yourself for activating it.) 17,000 pieces of gold.
-Scorching Gaze: My personal favorite because it gives you LARGE, FLAMING EYEBROWS! Possibly of more interest to some is the fact that it also gives you a gaze attack, and any enemy who meets your gaze takes 1d6 fire damage (and, of course, you can just glare at enemies to make them roll to save against the attack if you wanna give up your standard action.) And hey, if you wanna set your enemy's cloak on fire from across the room, or light the campfire from across the camp, you're covered. Alas, as my character Caliente "Cal" Coalbarrel, Halfling Pyromancer, discovered, gaze attacks can hurt allies. Friendly fire isn't. However, at 7,000 crowns this is pretty cheap compared to most other options.

Those are the only ones I know of and can find with a quick search. Note that most grafts have a cost. Scorching Gaze gives you a -2 to penalty to Search and Spot checks and reduces your maximum hit points by four, for instance (and my GM even said that I needed to take -2 per eye. I was basically blind because of all the licks of flame from my glorious eyebrows. I was fine with that, though.)

Endarire
2016-11-12, 09:38 PM
How'zbout using alter self, polymorph, et al to be a part-time "Elemental?" Turn into a Fire Mephit or so and be done with it.

There are numerous blaster builds (like Mailman (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?447435-quot-The-Mailman-A-Direct-Damage-Sorcerer-quot-(from-Wizards-forums))) to make fire your specialty.

There's even a Grapple Wizard (http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=13119) build which can use spells like body of the sun to seem torchy or otherwise damaging and sometimes look impressive.

Could you use disguise self to look like a genasi/fiery thingy?

thoroughlyS
2016-11-14, 12:11 AM
Dragon Magazine 350 introduced the azerblood (shield dwarf/azer planetouched) and celadrin (sun elf/firre planetouched). The azerblood is basically a dwarf + heat metal 1/day. The celadrin is basically an elf + scorching ray 1/day. They get a handful of other abilities in addition, at the cost of LA +1.

You can ask to use the lesser planetouched variant (Player's Guide to Faerun p.191), which removes their level adjustment in exchange for becoming humanoids that are effected by spells for outsiders. You might also ask whether or not you can also choose a different subrace.

There's also Mephlings, but they suck. They suck so bad they don't even qualify for being lesser planetouched. See here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6992.0) for more info on planetouched.

Zaq
2016-11-14, 04:49 PM
You can shell out for a scroll or a hired casting of Mantle of the Fiery Spirit (Sandstorm, pg. 118) to instantaneously (so permanently and non-dispellably) gain the [Fire] subtype. If you can find a Druid or Archivist willing to cast it on your behalf, it's a base price of 1,200 gp (casting cost) + 5,000 gp (material component) + 10,000 gp (XP cost) = 17,200 gp, assuming your GM is cool with that. Not every GM will let you just find a 15th level Druid willing to cast XP-draining spells to any schmuck who offers them a pile of gold, but it's worth looking at.

Sure, having the [Fire] subtype doesn't really inherently do much except make you immune to fire damage and vulnerable to cold damage, but it still might be easier to pay some gold than to eat a bad level adjustment.