PDA

View Full Version : Powerful Build feat? Monkey Grip + Strongarm bracers?

Neowulf
2016-11-11, 04:54 PM
So, I'm working on a character that can wield a gigantic sword, and I was wondering the following things

What source says you can take Powerful-Build as a feat? I've heard that you can get it at 1st level, but I've never seen the source
Can Monkey Grip stack with Strongarm Bracers? Would it allow me to weild a weapon 2 sizes bigger than me with only a -2 penalty?

any info on this would definitely help

Troacctid
2016-11-11, 04:58 PM
What source says you can take Powerful-Build as a feat? I've heard that you can get it at 1st level, but I've never seen the source
The feat is Jotunbrud, from Races of Faerun. It is not Powerful Build; it is merely similar.

You can also gain a limited version of powerful build via Touchstone (Sunken City), from Sandstorm.

Can Monkey Grip stack with Strongarm Bracers? Would it allow me to weild a weapon 2 sizes bigger than me with only a -2 penalty?
No.

Flickerdart
2016-11-11, 04:59 PM
Powerful Build as a feat
You are thinking of the feat Jotunbrud, but it does not do what you want it to. It only helps you on opposed rolls and resisting special attacks. The standard argument is "well it's close enough to Powerful Build so a DM might allow it" but that's not really an argument at all.

Stacking Monkey Grip and Strongarm Bracers
No, you may not stack them. Monkey Grip allows you to "use melee weapons one size category larger than you are." Strongarm Bracers allows you to "wield weapons as if you were one size category larger than normal." So if you are Medium, now you have two abilities that let you wield Large weapons...but they do not "add up" into Huge weapons.

rrwoods
2016-11-11, 05:04 PM
Stacking Monkey Grip and Strongarm Bracers
No, you may not stack them. Monkey Grip allows you to "use melee weapons one size category larger than you are." Strongarm Bracers allows you to "wield weapons as if you were one size category larger than normal." So if you are Medium, now you have two abilities that let you wield Large weapons...but they do not "add up" into Huge weapons.
One of the many problems with "as if" being in any rule ever. This is debatable, IMO. To me, the reading that results in you being considered Large and therefore able to wield Huge weapons is valid. Your reading is also valid.

Necroticplague
2016-11-11, 05:05 PM
So, I'm working on a character that can wield a gigantic sword, and I was wondering the following things

1. You can't. Jutonbrud is relatively similar, but it doesn't grant the benefit you're looking for (it's basically Powerful Build wtihout the 'larger weapons' part).
2.Yes, and yes. Strongarm Bracers let you wield 'as if you were one size category larger', while Strongarm Bracers let you 'use melee weapons one size category larger than you are'. Since Strongarm Bracers means you are one size larger (at least for these purposes), Monkey Grip piggybacks off that.

ShurikVch
2016-11-11, 05:19 PM
What source says you can take Powerful-Build as a feat? I've heard that you can get it at 1st level, but I've never seen the sourceAnother variant there is Hulking Brute from Dragonlance Campaign Setting; unfortunately it's locked on "count as Large" rather than straight "+1" (and also, required Half-Ogre)

Gruftzwerg
2016-11-11, 05:41 PM
I guess it needs to be a sword and not an unarmed strike?

Cause unarmed strikes always count as light weapon. The penalties for the size still apply, but you can wield/use em.
You just need to apply "sizing" to your unarmed strikes (e.g. Necklace of Natural Attacks; Kensai class ability; Bracers of Striking..).

Chouji - Baika no Jutsu (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6kbdlm0bPo)

barakaka
2016-11-11, 08:33 PM
The Titan bloodline (Unearthed Arcana I think) lets you wield a gargantuan hammer at character level 12. This is notable for the fact that you can be any size of creature and still wield the hammer with no penalty. Playing a Grig? No problem! Have a gargantuan hammer soldier!

MaxiDuRaritry
2016-11-11, 08:42 PM
The Titan bloodline (Unearthed Arcana I think) lets you wield a gargantuan hammer at character level 12. This is notable for the fact that you can be any size of creature and still wield the hammer with no penalty. Playing a Grig? No problem! Have a gargantuan hammer soldier!Now we need to find a way (a la aptitude weapon enhancement) to apply that to things that aren't Tahitian titan hammers.