PDA

View Full Version : High int gives you bonus spell slots you can immededtly cast from?

Triskavanski
2016-11-11, 05:39 PM
Ive got a player/gm who is claiming that you can start using your bonus spell slots at of higher levels right at level one. Trying to find where it says that you cant use those spell slots and thus cand be a magus of second level 10 ek and 8 arcane archer.

DarkSoul
2016-11-11, 05:41 PM
Player's Handbook page 7, with an example prohibiting this exact situation on page 8.

Gruftzwerg
2016-11-11, 06:01 PM
(I hope that I did interpret your question right. I just assume here, because of the bad English in the opening post. + I am not a native speaker myself^^)

you only gain bonus spell slots for high main stat for the spell grades that your character is capable of casting.
e.g.: Bard lvl2 with 14 Charisma
The Bard gets 0 Spellslots of 1st grade spells and 1 Bonus Spellslot
however, he doesn't get any bonus spellslots for 2nd grade spells until level 4.

It depends on wether or not you have spellslots for the grade, before you get any bonus spellslots. "-" is not the same as "0" !

Coventry
2016-11-11, 06:35 PM
Pathfinder (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/coreRulebook/gettingStarted.html) says, under "Abilities and Spellcasters":

"In addition to having a high ability score, a spellcaster must be of a high enough class level to be able to cast spells of a given spell level."

If you're playing that, instead of 3.0 or 3.5.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-11-11, 06:58 PM
The RAW is on page 7 of the Player's Handbook and in the relevant class tables. Interestingly, the chapter on magic doesn't seem to have a whole lot to say about spell slots.

You can explain the rules like this, if it's helpful:
The class tables give the number of times you can cast a spell of a given level per day. Your bonus spells are added on top of that. Where the table says you get "--" spells of that level, you get a total of "-- + X" [X = bonus spells] spells per day, which is not a number. Since the operation "add bonus spells" is undefined, the operation "define spells per day" is not defined, and you cannot cast spells of that level.

If you want a balance reason, point out that a grey elf could cast 5th-level wizard spells at level 1, and an old anthrobat could cast cleric 8ths.

Xuldarinar
2016-11-11, 07:11 PM
If someone wanted to play it that way, not that I believe it is rule legal except under Rule 0, then it aught to be played as follows;

I am a sorcerer with a 16 Charisma, and thus gain a bonus 1st, 2nd, and 3rd spell slot. I do not have knowledge of 2nd or 3rd level spells, nor am I yet capable of casting spells of those levels, only 1st level spells. As a result, i can only use those to cast 1st level spells.

I'd only advise this in games in which people are spellcasters and are prone to running out of spells at low levels.