PDA

View Full Version : A Question about Elven Spell Lore (PHB II)

AmericanCheese
2016-11-11, 08:34 PM
When I look at the requirements for the fear, it specifies that the requirements are "Knowledge (arcana) 12 ranks, Int 17 or Elf". Does this mean I need to have 12 ranks in K: Arcana and have Int 17/be an elf, or does that mean I should have either 12 ranks in K: Arcana OR have Int 17 OR be an Elf?

Because the middle prerequisite seems absurd if it's the latter reading, since pretty much any wizard can have that before they have 12 ranks in anything.

Troacctid
2016-11-11, 08:51 PM
You wrote it in a syntactically ambiguous way in your post, but in the book, it actually says "Int 17 or elf, Knowledge (arcana) 12 ranks." Hopefully that's clearer—you need to have Int 17 or be an elf, and you need to have 12 ranks in Knowledge (arcana).

AmericanCheese
2016-11-11, 08:56 PM
You wrote it in a syntactically ambiguous way in your post, but in the book, it actually says "Int 17 or elf, Knowledge (arcana) 12 ranks." Hopefully that's clearer—you need to have Int 17 or be an elf, and you need to have 12 ranks in Knowledge (arcana).

Oh, I see. I was taking from that site which must not be named since I don't have the PHB II on me. Must be a mistake in copying. Thank you for the help.

Now what the heck does a generalist wizard get for their second feat?

Troacctid
2016-11-11, 09:12 PM
Now what the heck does a generalist wizard get for their second feat?
You mean at level 3? Fiery Burst/Acidic Splatter. Improved/Planar/Celestial Familiar. Obtain Familiar, if you traded your familiar for an ACF. Craft Wondrous Item. Collegiate Wizard (pushing your previous 1st level feat to 3rd). Wild Cohort. Prerequisite to the prestige class of your choice. There are some pretty good options out there.

AmericanCheese
2016-11-11, 09:37 PM
You mean at level 3? Fiery Burst/Acidic Splatter. Improved/Planar/Celestial Familiar. Obtain Familiar, if you traded your familiar for an ACF. Craft Wondrous Item. Collegiate Wizard (pushing your previous 1st level feat to 3rd). Wild Cohort. Prerequisite to the prestige class of your choice. There are some pretty good options out there.

Well, rather, when building an 8th level gestalt Generalist. Gestalted with Factotum. I wanted Elven Spell Lore to be able to mess around with Fireball, and then ignore all the other direct damage spells to concentrate on utility and debuffing.

Troacctid
2016-11-11, 11:41 PM
Then you definitely want Planar/Celestial Familiar, it's very good on a skill monkey.

I'd just take Collegiate Wizard. The extra spells known will allow you to take another couple of offensive spells. Chill touch is a good one, since the way multi-attack spells work, you get to make all the attacks at once (just like with scorching ray), so it's essentially 1d6/level damage, uncapped, of a type that nobody has resistance or immunity against, with Strength damage tossed in, out of a 1st level slot.

Domain Wizard also helps a lot with the extra spell slots and spells known. Every domain is good.