PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A (Pathfinder)Tears for Wne: What's your reading?

Coidzor
2016-11-12, 05:06 AM
So far I've thought of two readings and encountered one of them in the wild along with one interpretation of the spell which I didn't think of.

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/t/tears-to-wine

At the end of the listed duration, the wine or mead reverts back.

I've encountered only one or two people that interpret it this way from searching around and asking other places.

The alcohol persists after the duration and the duration tracks how long one has to drink it and be affected by the Enhancement bonuses.

This seems to be the most popular reading so far.

The alcohol persists and the listed duration doesn't start until someone drinks it, at which point, they get the Enhancement bonuses for the listed duration.

I've also only seen one or two express this view, and it seems a bit off, even in the context of a spell that has a weird context.

CasualViking
2016-11-12, 06:59 AM
1) seems obviously wrong. Mead or wine doesn't spoil on a 10 minutes/level timescale. Given how gonzo the spell already is, I would set the clock on the end of the effect as soon as the transmutation happens.

Kurald Galain
2016-11-12, 07:29 AM
#2 appears to be the intent of the spell, but by a strict reading, #1 is correct. The spell has a duration, therefore when the duration ends, all effects of the spell end. Note how its counterpart spell, Enhance Water, does not have this restriction.

#3 is clearly wrong; durations are counted from when a spell is cast.