PDA

View Full Version : Custom Weapon Systems in Tabletop Games

JBPuffin
2016-11-12, 09:34 AM
What are some games that have systems in place for making custom weapons? I'm not talking about artifacts or magic weapons, strictly speaking; I think of games like Cryptomancer or Dungeon World, where there are example weapons, but because weapons are largely just collections of keywords, you could make just about anything. What other games have something like that?

thedanster7000
2016-11-12, 03:24 PM
Open Legend (http://www.openlegendrpg.com/core-rules/04-wealth-equipment); a relatively new generic system that I think is very good, most of it is abstract in that way.

Fri
2016-11-12, 04:31 PM
Mutants and Mastermind? You build weapons either as device or equipment which work the same way with how you build your other powers.

Joe the Rat
2016-11-14, 08:25 AM
Mutants and Mastermind? You build weapons either as device or equipment which work the same way with how you build your other powers.

Most Supers games do this (DCH/Boh/MEGS, Champions/HERO System, to an extent MSH/Zerfs/4C/"The FASERIP system", for example).

The other "other" Legend system (http://www.ruleofcool.com/) gets at this as well, using keywords to define weapons, even nonmagic ones.

JBPuffin
2016-11-14, 10:17 PM
Most Supers games do this (DCH/Boh/MEGS, Champions/HERO System, to an extent MSH/Zerfs/4C/"The FASERIP system", for example).

The other "other" Legend system (http://www.ruleofcool.com/) gets at this as well, using keywords to define weapons, even nonmagic ones.

I'll be completely honest, I never actually read Legend's gear rules...that's almost exactly what i was looking for.

the OOD
2016-11-15, 03:02 AM
Dead Stars: Universal Decay does this better than any other system I've seen. the primitive/melee design is nice, but custom firearms are incredible.

my old group stated dozens of real-world firearms accurately, to the immense pleasure of the firearms fans at the table.
(also, nifty sci-fi weapon rules)

more to the point, if high customization is your cup of tea, It's a great system in general.

normally I like to recommend a few systems, but Universal Decay is by far the best bet I can offer you.
hope you can find something that works for you.

Fri
2016-11-15, 03:10 AM
Dead Stars: Universal Decay does this better than any other system I've seen. the primitive/melee design is nice, but custom firearms are incredible.

my old group stated dozens of real-world firearms accurately, to the immense pleasure of the firearms fans at the table.
(also, nifty sci-fi weapon rules)

more to the point, if high customization is your cup of tea, It's a great system in general.

normally I like to recommend a few systems, but Universal Decay is by far the best bet I can offer you.
hope you can find something that works for you.

I'm curious. Can you give me example on how it works?

Martin Greywolf
2016-11-15, 03:11 AM
FATE has a pretty solid system for custom anything - I just recently made a Naruto conversion, and it works pretty well, which is no mean feat considering the amount of different means to kill yourselves with in that verse (and the amount of plot holes and power level inconsistencies, but that's largely unrelated). That said, it uses a few mechanics to stat everything, so if your cup of tea is different kinds of rolls for different things, it is not for you.

the OOD
2016-11-15, 04:19 PM
I'm curious. Can you give me example on how it works?
cool, Let's build a Desert Eagle.

step 1) select template. our choices include Holdout, Pistol, Gun, Rifle, and Cannon(as well as a few weird options). here we want pistol, naturally.
>> Pistol: type=Firearm Size=Diminutive damage dice=2 Cost=10xQuality Clip=10 range=20ft Weight=2lbs Options=Quality
Max quality at 20th century tech level is 8, but we'll wait to set quality until we know how many options we need.

step 2) select ammo type. most of the choices here(laser, plasma, magnetic needles, ect) are not available at 20th tech level. regardless, we want Slugs(bullets).
>> Slug Damage Die Size=d6 Bludgioning price=+0% Clip size=1/3 range=x1 weight=x1.5 Hit points=(lbs x30)/5 Complexity=Average(20 + Quality) Tech Level=20th
now, let's apply those stats to our pistol template. (to simplify, I am not gong to calculate the weapons hit points(rarely relevant) or complexity(only matters for crafting))
>> Pistol: type=Firearm(slug) Size=Diminutive (damage dice=2 damage die size=d6 Bludgeoning)Damage=2d6 Bludgeoning Cost=10xQuality (Clip=10 /3)Clip=3 range=20ft (Weight=2lbs *1.5)=3lbs Options=Quality
witch simplifies to:
>> Pistol: type=Firearm(slug) Size=Diminutive Damage=2d6 Bludgeoning Cost=10xQuality Clip=3 range=20ft Weight=3lbs Options=Quality

step 3) Mutables. these are major changes in construction, like the difference between a shotgun and a rifle. we have TONS of choices, from flintlock to flimsy to long bore, but the ones we want are Compact rounds and Semiautomatic Pistol.
Compact Rounds means the firearm is designed to use smaller rounds(x2 clip size), and is used by almost all modern firearms.
Semiautomatic Pistol allows two attacks as a full action, both at -2 to-hit, and makes the pistol automatically jam on nat 1s
>> Compact Rounds(slug only) Price=x1 weight=x1 Tech Level=20th
>> Automatic Pistol(pistol only) Weight=x0.9 Price=x1.5 GL=+1
apply these, and we get:
>> Semiautomatic Pistol: type=Firearm(slug) Size=Diminutive Damage=2d6 Bludgeoning (Cost=10xQuality *1.5)Cost=15*Quality (Clip=3 *2)Clip=6 range=20ft (Weight=3lbs *.9)Weight=2.7lbs Options=Quality
witch simplifies to:
>> Semiautomatic Pistol: type=Firearm(slug) Size=Diminutive Damage=2d6 Bludgeoning Cost=15*Quality Clip=6 range=20ft Weight=2.7lbs Options=Quality

step 4) Options. extra traits an add-ons. we have a staggering number of options, but we need to boost the clip to 7, and up the damage to reflect the ridiculous caliber. let's take Extra Shots, Increased Damage, and Easy Repair(so we can clear jams more easily).
>> Extra Shots: Option Points=2, Clip=+25%, price=+50%
>> Increased Damage: Option Points=5, Price=+300%, Damage Die Size=+1
>> Easy Repair: Option Points=1, Price=+10%
now to apply these tweaks:
>> Semiautomatic Pistol: type=Firearm(slug) Size=Diminutive (Damage=2d6 +1 die size)Damage=2d8 Bludgeoning (Cost=15*Quality +360%)Cost=69*Quality (Clip=6 +25%)Clip=7 range=20ft Weight=2.7lbs Option Points=8 Options=Quality
with 8 points of options, we need Quality 8. now, let's calculate all this for the final weapon.
>> Desert Eagle(Semiautomatic Pistol) type=Firearm(slug) Size=Diminutive Damage=2d8 Bludgeoning (Cost=69*8)Cost=552 Clip=7 range=20ft Weight=2.7lbs Option Points=8
Sweet!

Desert Eagle(Semiautomatic Slug Pistol, Compact rounds) Diminutive, 2d8 Bludgeoning, 553 Credits, Quality 8, Clip 7, 20ft Range, 2.7lbs.
not bad! we got pretty close to the real gun(about a pound light, otherwise ok).
it does a lot of damage for a handgun(2d8), and can fire twice per turn, making it a good option for putting down a tough opponent or monster, although the clip size is a little small, and it's tendency to jam might be an issue in an extended firefight. if we were going to use this in an urban environment, we could would load it with hollow point(you can customize ammo to) to decrease the chance of overpenetration. or we could use silver bullets for Werewolf defense, if that turns out to be our thing.

Yes, that is a lot of maths. yes, it looks scary and hard at first. my group got used to it surprisingly quickly(half the players can now stat weapons in their head). it is completely worth it.
the rest of the system is a bit less complex, but interlocking mechanics and massive customizeability are still focal points of the system.

hope this helped, feel feel free to ask more question as needed,
-the OOD

JBPuffin
2016-11-15, 06:13 PM

step 1) select template. our choices include Holdout, Pistol, Gun, Rifle, and Cannon(as well as a few weird options). here we want pistol, naturally.
>> Pistol: type=Firearm Size=Diminutive damage dice=2 Cost=10xQuality Clip=10 range=20ft Weight=2lbs Options=Quality
Max quality at 20th century tech level is 8, but we'll wait to set quality until we know how many options we need.

step 2) select ammo type. most of the choices here(laser, plasma, magnetic needles, ect) are not available at 20th tech level. regardless, we want Slugs(bullets).
>> Slug Damage Die Size=d6 Bludgioning price=+0% Clip size=1/3 range=x1 weight=x1.5 Hit points=(lbs x30)/5 Complexity=Average(20 + Quality) Tech Level=20th
now, let's apply those stats to our pistol template. (to simplify, I am not gong to calculate the weapons hit points(rarely relevant) or complexity(only matters for crafting))
>> Pistol: type=Firearm(slug) Size=Diminutive (damage dice=2 damage die size=d6 Bludgeoning)Damage=2d6 Bludgeoning Cost=10xQuality (Clip=10 /3)Clip=3 range=20ft (Weight=2lbs *1.5)=3lbs Options=Quality
witch simplifies to:
>> Pistol: type=Firearm(slug) Size=Diminutive Damage=2d6 Bludgeoning Cost=10xQuality Clip=3 range=20ft Weight=3lbs Options=Quality

step 3) Mutables. these are major changes in construction, like the difference between a shotgun and a rifle. we have TONS of choices, from flintlock to flimsy to long bore, but the ones we want are Compact rounds and Semiautomatic Pistol.
Compact Rounds means the firearm is designed to use smaller rounds(x2 clip size), and is used by almost all modern firearms.
Semiautomatic Pistol allows two attacks as a full action, both at -2 to-hit, and makes the pistol automatically jam on nat 1s
apply these, and we get:
>> Semiautomatic Pistol: type=Firearm(slug) Size=Diminutive Damage=2d6 Bludgeoning (Cost=10xQuality *1.5)Cost=15*Quality (Clip=3 *2)Clip=6 range=20ft (Weight=3lbs *.9)Weight=2.7lbs Options=Quality
witch simplifies to:
>> Semiautomatic Pistol: type=Firearm(slug) Size=Diminutive Damage=2d6 Bludgeoning Cost=15*Quality Clip=6 range=20ft Weight=2.7lbs Options=Quality

step 4) Options. extra traits an add-ons. we have a staggering number of options, but we need to boost the clip to 7, and up the damage to reflect the ridiculous caliber. let's take Extra Shots, Increased Damage, and Easy Repair(so we can clear jams more easily).
>> Semiautomatic Pistol: type=Firearm(slug) Size=Diminutive (Damage=2d6 +1 die size)Damage=2d8 Bludgeoning (Cost=15*Quality +360%)Cost=69*Quality (Clip=6 +25%)Clip=7 range=20ft Weight=2.7lbs Option Points=8 Options=Quality
with 8 points of options, we need Quality 8. now, let's calculate all this for the final weapon.
>> Desert Eagle(Semiautomatic Pistol) type=Firearm(slug) Size=Diminutive Damage=2d8 Bludgeoning (Cost=69*8)Cost=552 Clip=7 range=20ft Weight=2.7lbs Option Points=8
Sweet!

Desert Eagle(Semiautomatic Slug Pistol, Compact rounds) Diminutive, 2d8 Bludgeoning, 553 Credits, Quality 8, Clip 7, 20ft Range, 2.7lbs.
not bad! we got pretty close to the real gun(about a pound light, otherwise ok).
it does a lot of damage for a handgun(2d8), and can fire twice per turn, making it a good option for putting down a tough opponent or monster, although the clip size is a little small, and it's tendency to jam might be an issue in an extended firefight. if we were going to use this in an urban environment, we could would load it with hollow point(you can customize ammo to) to decrease the chance of overpenetration. or we could use silver bullets for Werewolf defense, if that turns out to be our thing.

Yes, that is a lot of maths. yes, it looks scary and hard at first. my group got used to it surprisingly quickly(half the players can now stat weapons in their head). it is completely worth it.
the rest of the system is a bit less complex, but interlocking mechanics and massive customizeability are still focal points of the system.

-the OOD

And before you posted this, I'd already paid $5 for my PDF copy...which will get to my email at some point. Hopefully. :smallsmile:

That weapon system also does melee weapons, right? I definitely need both ends of that spectrum available.

the OOD
2016-11-15, 06:52 PM
And before you posted this, I'd already paid $5 for my PDF copy...which will get to my email at some point. Hopefully. :smallsmile:

That weapon system also does melee weapons, right? I definitely need both ends of that spectrum available.
Yup. Same system, just a few fewer variables(no clip, range, ect. ). Also, explosives.

Malfunctioned
2016-11-15, 08:45 PM
Fragged Empire has some really cool custom gear rules!

It's a Sci-Fi game (which needs more attention) but they basically work by choosing the base weapon, then selecting different mods, which change the base cost, for it to make the base weapon (so choose a pistol, give it the Damage Type (I think that's what it was called) mod to change it to Energy and bam, laser pistol. Then if you want to actually upgrade the weapon you can purchase additional upgrades at any point.

Jama7301
2016-11-16, 12:07 PM

witch simplifies to:

apply these, and we get:
witch simplifies to:

Sweet!

-the OOD

That seems like a very powerful system. I like it.