PDA

View Full Version : Pre-flight and homebrew metamagic

CaptainCharisma
2016-11-12, 10:22 AM
So two questions. I am going to start DMing my first game on Monday. One of my players wants to use the feral tiefling out of the SCAG. Im fine with this, but not fine with level one flight. I told him he could take it but the flight aspect would be delayed until level 6 (after the Fly spell becomes available). He want something filler in between those levels. I cant think of anything that isnt redundant with his clas features, monk, and makes sense that he woukd have pre 6 but basically lose post 6.

Another thing. One player is playing a sorc and I remember the Elemental Substituion metamagic in 3.5. If youre unfamiliar, it allows you to pick an element and replace spells with an elemental damage type with that element. If I did this, I would probably tie ghe element to the players draconic heritage element, so they can only change things to ice for example. I know theres already a feat in the book but I love the idea of element themed sorcerors and some elements are just... lacking from the spell list. Does anyone see a problem if this becomes an option for a sorc metamagic at maybe 2 points per spell?

Rysto
2016-11-12, 10:31 AM
For the Tiefling, maybe allow him to act as if the Jump spell had been cast on him? So it's like his wings are there but he's not skilled enough with them to do full flight, just stay airborne a little longer.

Elemental Substitution with a Draconic Sorcerer, it winds up being 2SP to deal additional damage equal to his CHA modifier after level 6. I don't think that's a huge deal. It's not like the Sorcerer is some hideously powerful class that you should be wary of giving additional power to.

Shaofoo
2016-11-12, 10:43 AM
You can do the 4e style of flying and give him an altitude cap. Say you can't go above 5 feet while flying, which shouldn't be too unbalancing since it means that he can't outrange anyone with just flight. Make him hover always and give him a saving throw to avoid resist falling damage with his wings as well (Con DC 5 + 1 per 10 feet). Of course when level 6 comes around then they get real flight.

Personally I would give Elemental Substitution to Dragon Sorcerers for free after level 6. I would think that giving them free rein to not have to deal with the varying damage types would be good. Would also make mono damage themed characters viable in the face of resistance (but not immunity).

Specter
2016-11-12, 10:46 AM
So two questions. I am going to start DMing my first game on Monday. One of my players wants to use the feral tiefling out of the SCAG. Im fine with this, but not fine with level one flight. I told him he could take it but the flight aspect would be delayed until level 6 (after the Fly spell becomes available). He want something filler in between those levels. I cant think of anything that isnt redundant with his clas features, monk, and makes sense that he woukd have pre 6 but basically lose post 6.

Another thing. One player is playing a sorc and I remember the Elemental Substituion metamagic in 3.5. If youre unfamiliar, it allows you to pick an element and replace spells with an elemental damage type with that element. If I did this, I would probably tie ghe element to the players draconic heritage element, so they can only change things to ice for example. I know theres already a feat in the book but I love the idea of element themed sorcerors and some elements are just... lacking from the spell list. Does anyone see a problem if this becomes an option for a sorc metamagic at maybe 2 points per spell?

You could have the wings giving him a feather fall/glider effect before level 6. Kinda make them withered or enervated or something.

As for the element change, I believe there are enough ice spells, and even if there aren't, it woukd be fairer to adapt some from 3.5 than to make him take it for his limited meta selection.

JackPhoenix
2016-11-12, 10:54 AM
I would use the wings for always-on Feather Fall effect on himself, or allow him to use them for gliding (let's say, moving 10' horizontally for every 5' fallen). Cool, situationally useful, but not overpowered.

Energy substitution would be great, it would actually make non-fire based bloodlines viable. I wouldn't mind making it even cheaper, or even for free, it fits the theme. Perhaps also a variant for wild sorcerer that gives him random damage type? (roll 1d6, 1: acid, 2: cold, 3: fire, 4: lightning, 5: poison, 6: thunder. Radiant, necrotic and force are deliberately avoided)

CaptainCharisma
2016-11-12, 11:37 AM
You could have the wings giving him a feather fall/glider effect before level 6. Kinda make them withered or enervated or something.

As for the element change, I believe there are enough ice spells, and even if there aren't, it woukd be fairer to adapt some from 3.5 than to make him take it for his limited meta selection.

Well, there is for ice, but I honestly dont remember there being very many acid spells in the book for instance.

Addaran
2016-11-12, 01:03 PM
As a DM, yeah, i'd let the player have version of spells with his dragonic element instead. Cone of acid or acidball!

I'd probably let it for free but i'd make sure the player isn't just trying to game the system. Like picking spells from all the elements except acid so he covers all the different weaknesses then using them as acid for more damage.

Actually, i'd probably put it with the resistance feature. When you use a sorcery point to gain resistance, that spell and all the others you'll cast for the duration will do your draconic type damage instead of the normal elemental damage. It gives a minor cost, having to use one sorcery point, but you're also getting the normal benefit from it.

TundraBuccaneer
2016-11-12, 06:37 PM
For the sorcerer just ''homebrew spells'' as in make lightning bold an ice lance. This will make it so he doesn't get the 2 different spells out of 1 spell known.