PDA

View Full Version : How do the (Revised) Ranger archetypes compare to eachother?

Matticusrex
2016-11-12, 12:31 PM
Which do you feel is the most solid, broken, weak, easy, hard, or optimized of the 3 archetypes?

Foxhound438
2016-11-12, 02:00 PM
I'd say deep stalker > hunter > beast master.

Deep stalker gets a free extra attack at 3 in the first round, and has advantage on both thanks to natural explorer. Level 11 lets them have a re-try on any miss- attack action or not, meaning a bonus action crossbow master miss can be re-attempted too. Finally, they get access to greater invisibility. All of this combines to make DS ranger a great sharpshooter option.

Hunter gets all the early power it used to and more, thanks to the strengthened ranger chassis. I'd say this is the best 3 level dip in the game for anyone wanting better damage. It doesn't have the sharpshooter synergy that it needs to be top tier though, at least on its own.

Beast master is the worst of the three, but by no means "bad". Proper companion selection can lead to opening some decent shenanigans up, especially with other players in the mix. Your crab companion holding something in place while your wizard friend sets a bonfire under the enemy seems like an okay combination, for example; as does grabbing something after it's trip attacked or open palmed, so it's stuck on the ground. This one is my personal favorite, despite it's slight comparative weakness.

Specter
2016-11-12, 03:34 PM
They're all great by their own means. Hunter has always been, Deep Stalker works nicely for specific tricks (i.e. Assassin) and Beastmaster is one of the best for single-classed rangers.

TrinculoLives
2016-11-13, 01:15 AM
I can't really say, because I've always just gone for BM, even post-revision. Maybe that means it's the best one?