PDA

View Full Version : Increasing casting time

Tiri
2016-11-12, 12:47 PM
There are a number of ways to decrease the casting time of spells e.g. Quicken Spell and Arcane Spellsurge.

What I'd like to know is if there are any ways, apart from being a spontaneous metamagic-using caster, of increasing casting times.

Edit: More to the point, could anyone point some out?

Necroticplague
2016-11-12, 01:13 PM
Yes, there are.

Tiri
2016-11-12, 08:37 PM
Yes, there are.

Thanks. Very helpful. I've updated the OP to reflect what you've told me.

Manyasone
2016-11-12, 08:40 PM
You talk about increasing and decreasing? What are you trying to achieve?

Necroticplague
2016-11-12, 09:19 PM
Uncanny Forethought. Let's you cast a spell as a full-round action. For some spells, this is a decrease. For some, it's an increase.

Thurbane
2016-11-12, 09:26 PM
Snowcasting (Frostburn) kind of does this. Well, technically it can add an extra move action required immediately before casting.

Sword-Geass
2016-11-12, 09:41 PM
Elder giant magic, from eberron secrets of xen'drik. A feat that allows you to increase the casting time by 1 round for a +1CL, up to +3, for +3CL, obviously. Requires 9 ranks in Spellcraft.

Hope that helps

Crake
2016-11-12, 10:12 PM
My guess is that the OP wants to increase the casting time of a volley spell to a full round action to be able to apply precision damage to all his attacks. That is the only circumstance I can imagine where someone would actually want to INCREASE the casting time of a spell. If that's the case, I'm guessing you don't want to pay increased spell costs for applying metamagic, so just get a +0 adjustment metamagic like invisible spell or something, and go wild.

The Glyphstone
2016-11-12, 10:15 PM
I assumed it was to combo with Arcane Spellsurge.

Crake
2016-11-12, 10:43 PM
I assumed it was to combo with Arcane Spellsurge.

But why would you want to increase the casting time just so you can decrease it again?

Tiri
2016-11-12, 11:14 PM
But why would you want to increase the casting time just so you can decrease it again?

You don't get two swift actions in one round. Therefore, if you want to cast two spells, one has to be a standard-action spell and the other a full-round spell.

Crake
2016-11-12, 11:33 PM
You don't get two swift actions in one round. Therefore, if you want to cast two spells, one has to be a standard-action spell and the other a full-round spell.

Ah yes, I suppose that makes sense. Then yeah, just get a +0 metamagic feat like invisible spell and you're good to go. (assuming you're a sorcerer)

Tiri
2016-11-13, 12:19 AM
Ah yes, I suppose that makes sense. Then yeah, just get a +0 metamagic feat like invisible spell and you're good to go. (assuming you're a sorcerer)

I think you missed one important part of the OP:

What I'd like to know is if there are any ways, apart from being a spontaneous metamagic-using caster, of increasing casting times.