Will
Class Features
Spellcasting

1st+0202Breath Effect, Eschew Materials--
2nd+1303Breath Effect+1 Level
3rd+1313Breath Effect, Draconic Feat+1 Level
4th+2414Breath Effect, Extend Breath+1 Level
5th+2414Breath Effect, Draconic Feat, Draconic Breath +2d10+1 Level

Class Skills (4+Int): Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Investigate (Int), Knowledge (all) (Int), Perception (Wis), Search (Int), Speak Language, and Spellcraft (Int).

Class Features

Spellcasting: At each level except 1st, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a dragonheart mage, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Eschew Materials: At 1st level, you gain Eschew Materials as a bonus feat. If you already have the Eschew Materials feat, you may instead choose any [Draconic] feat for which you meet the prerequisites.

Draconic Feat: At 3rd level, and every 2 levels thereafter, you gain a bonus draconic feat. Choose any [Draconic] feat for which you meet the prerequisite.

Extend Breath: At 4th level, the cones produced by your breath weapons increase to 60 ft. cones, and the lines increase to 120 ft. lines.

Draconic Breath (Su): At 5th level, when you use your Draconic Breath feat to exhale a damaging breath effect, the breath weapon's damage is 2d10 per spell level instead of 2d6 per spell level.

Breath Effect (Su): At every class level, you gain a Breath Effect, which gives you more options when using your Draconic Breath feat. The save DCs for these effects are equal to 10 + the spell level used to fuel the breath + your Charisma bonus. You can only use one Breath Effect at a time. Choose from the following list:

Acid Breath: You can exhale a 60 ft. line of acid.
Cold Breath: You can exhale a 30 ft. cone of cold.
Fire Breath: You can exhale a 30 ft. cone of fire.
Lightning Breath: You can exhale a 60 ft. line of lightning.
Empower Breath: Your breath weapon inflicts 3 dice of damage per spell level instead of 2.
Enduring Breath: Any creature which fails its saving throw against your breath weapon must make another save at the beginning of your next turn or suffer the same damage again.
Shadow Breath: You exhale a line of negative energy that forces every living creature it hits to make a Reflex save or gain 2 negative levels.
Slow Breath: You can exhale a 30 ft. cone of gas that forces every creature inside to make a Fort save or be Slowed for 4 rounds; on a successful save, the creature is only slowed for 1 round.
Weakening Breath: You can exhale a 30 ft. cone of gas that forces every creature inside to make a Will save or suffer a -6 penalty to Strength for 1 minute.

Westhart
2017-04-24, 09:40 AM
Dragonheart Mage

Prerequisites
- Skill: Spellcraft 8 ranks
- Feats: Draconic Heritage and Dragonic Breath
- Language: Draconic
- Dragonblood subtype
- Able to spontaneously cast 2nd level Arcane spells

Should be draconic breath

Benefits

HD: d6

Class Skills (4+Int): Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Investigate (Int), Knowledge (all) (Int), Perception (Wis), Search (Int), Speak Language, and Spellcraft (Int).

hmmm, you say 3.5 but 3.5 does not have perception or investigate as skills (At least that I know of, definitely not in core.) Replace Investigate with Gather Information (Cha), and perception with sense motive (Wis). Normal sorceror gets 2+Int , but that is fine.

Class Features

[b]Spellcasting: At each level except 1st, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming a dragonheart mage, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Honestly if I took a level I would make it 5th, because that is where you get a feat and breath effect and your breath weapon becomes 2d10 (I honestly do not feel to balance that you need to take out a level, after all the feat requires the sacrifice of a spell to use, but OMV)

Eschew Materials: At 1st level, you gain Eschew Materials as a bonus feat. If you already have the Eschew Materials feat, you may instead choose any [Draconic] feat for which you meet the prerequisites.

Draconic Feat: At 3rd level, and every 2 levels thereafter, you gain a bonus draconic feat. Choose any [Draconic] feat for which you meet the prerequisite.

Extend Breath: At 4th level, the cones produced by your breath weapons increase to 60 ft. cones, and the lines increase to 120 ft. lines.

Draconic Breath (Su): At 5th level, when you use your Draconic Breath feat to exhale a damaging breath effect, the breath weapon's damage is 2d10 per spell level instead of 2d6 per spell level.

Breath Effect (Su): At every class level, you gain a Breath Effect, which gives you more options when using your Draconic Breath feat. The save DCs for these effects are equal to 10 + the spell level used to fuel the breath + your Charisma bonus. You can only use one Breath Effect at a time. Choose from the following list:

Acid Breath: You can exhale a 60 ft. line of acid.
Cold Breath: You can exhale a 30 ft. cone of cold.
Fire Breath: You can exhale a 30 ft. cone of fire.
Lightning Breath: You can exhale a 60 ft. line of lightning.
Empower Breath: Your breath weapon inflicts 3 dice of damage per spell level instead of 2.
Enduring Breath: Any creature which fails its saving throw against your breath weapon must make another save at the beginning of your next turn or suffer the same damage again.
Shadow Breath: You exhale a line of negative energy that forces every living creature it hits to make a Reflex save or gain 2 negative levels.
Slow Breath: You can exhale a 30 ft. cone of gas that forces every creature inside to make a Fort save or be Slowed for 4 rounds; on a successful save, the creature is only slowed for 1 round.
Weakening Breath: You can exhale a 30 ft. cone of gas that forces every creature inside to make a Will save or suffer a -6 penalty to Strength for 1 minute.

These look really nice, and I feel the class is solid. After all they have to sacrifice a spell just to use the feat it is built around, maybe give them a capstone where the spell they sacrifice counts as one higher for damage of breath weapon?

Nifft
2017-06-11, 05:49 PM
Should be draconic breath Thanks! Fixed.

hmmm, you say 3.5 but 3.5 does not have perception or investigate as skills (At least that I know of, definitely not in core.) Replace Investigate with Gather Information (Cha), and perception with sense motive (Wis). Normal sorceror gets 2+Int [bleck], but that is fine. Yeah, sometimes I put homebrew in my homebrew, so I can customize the game while I customize the game.

Honestly if I took a level I would make it 5th, because that is where you get a feat and breath effect and your breath weapon becomes 2d10 (I honestly do not feel to balance that you need to take out a level, after all the feat requires the sacrifice of a spell to use, but OMV) Makes it too easy to dine & dash.

The feat that this PrC requires isn't actually a tax -- you can get the first one (Draconic Heritage) as a bonus feat by taking the Dragonblood Sorcerer ACF, which is not a tax, for example; and if you didn't want the second feat (Draconic Breath), then you won't want a whole 5-level class devoted to making that specific feat better.

These look really nice, and I feel the class is solid. After all they have to sacrifice a spell just to use the feat it is built around, maybe give them a capstone where the spell they sacrifice counts as one higher for damage of breath weapon? Adding +1 to the spell level isn't good, but maybe I could do something else to improve the use of lower-level spell slots.

Anyway, thanks for the thoughtful feedback!