PDA

View Full Version : Heavy armored unarmed warrior

Shadowscale
2016-11-12, 10:21 PM
Anyone happen to know a way to not gimp oneself completely going a strength build that uses unarmed strikes wearing gauntlets in heavy armor? Going for done thing similar to skyrim where one does the brute force of their gauntlets into their fists

I ask this as most unarmed builds don't use gauntlets or armor above light.

danielxcutter
2016-11-12, 10:25 PM
I'm not sure about gauntlets, but Superior Unarmed Strike from ToB might be worth a look into at least.

gorfnab
2016-11-13, 12:58 AM
Warforged with the feat Adamantine Body and wielding a Battlefist sort of works. Maybe using Crusader for the class and using the feat Shocking Fist.

animewatcha
2016-11-13, 01:07 AM
Barbarian has an unarmed ACF in dragon magazine ( note does NOT gain monk unarmed damage ). There is also the half-weight enchantment from I believe, drow of the underdark. Counts as light weight for things like evasion, fast movement. So unarmed barb with Half-weight heavy armor.

Necroticplague
2016-11-13, 05:23 AM
In what way is this normally gimping oneself? The strongest unarmed builds I know of (tashlatora PsyWars) don't lose out much by being entirely clad metal head-to-toe.

Gruftzwerg
2016-11-13, 06:01 AM
Fighter 1(+?) / Warlock X / Enlightened Fist Y

Fighter gives you the heavy armor proficiency. Add Eldritch Claws feat for warlock (I hope that counts as unarmed^^). Take 2x Battle Caster feat to be able to cast in heavy armor.
Enlightened Fist gives you unarmed dmg progression (is included in the Eldritch Claw dmg).

Or take any PRC dip that gives you heavy armor instead of warrior.

Imho Clawlock is the way to go if it doesn't interfere fluff wise.

edit: added Enlightened Fist

danielxcutter
2016-11-13, 06:46 AM
Fighter 1(+?) / Warlock X / Enlightened Fist Y

Fighter gives you the heavy armor proficiency. Add Eldritch Claws feat for warlock (I hope that counts as unarmed^^). Take 2x Battle Caster feat to be able to cast in heavy armor.
Enlightened Fist gives you unarmed dmg progression (is included in the Eldritch Claw dmg).

Or take any PRC dip that gives you heavy armor instead of warrior.

Imho Clawlock is the way to go if it doesn't interfere fluff wise.

edit: added Enlightened Fist

Eh, don't think you can take feats twice unless it says so and I'm not sure if you can qualify for EF with Warlock, but Fighter/Warlock in medium armor still seems decent at least.

If you're okay with channeling arcane spells into your attacks, a Duskblade with twin spiked gauntlets could work. If you want heavy armor then Battle Caster, as recommended above.

Gruftzwerg
2016-11-13, 10:23 AM
Eh, don't think you can take feats twice unless it says so and I'm not sure if you can qualify for EF with Warlock, but Fighter/Warlock in medium armor still seems decent at least.

You can also dip a lvl monk for the imp. unarmed strike. you lose monk AC, flurry and movement with armor, but the unarmed strike stays.

Warlock can qualify for EF (only requires: arcane caster level 3rd), but can't use some of the abilities who needs you to be able to cast spells. But the important part of the PRC is, that it progresses you unarmed dmg and Eldritch Blast dmg (8/10). This is a heavy boost in dmg dice.

Further you take Beast Strike: Lets you add your claw dmg to unarmed dmg.
the buffed unarmed dmg is than: unarmed + (unarmed + eldritch blast).

Dunno if you can take Battlecaster twice, good question. never thought about that. thought you could^^.
Even if not, just take Mitral Heavy Armor (counts as medium) and you have solved that problem too^^

Troacctid
2016-11-13, 11:35 AM
Warforged with the feat Adamantine Body and wielding a Battlefist sort of works. Maybe using Crusader for the class and using the feat Shocking Fist.
Seconding this. Adamantine Body Shocking Fist Stone Power Warforged Crusader is one of my favorite ToB builds. It's highly effective as both a damage-dealer and a tank.

barakaka
2016-11-13, 12:09 PM
In high OP games, one could run either of 2 versions of infinite punch damage crusader.

Disclaimer:
DO NOT PLAY THIS IN LOW-MID OPTIMIZATION GAMES. THIS REQUIRES DM APPROVAL. DO NOT BE A JERK AND TRY TO SNEAK THIS BY YOUR TABLE AND THEN WIPE OUT THE BOSS WHICH YOUR DM WORKED SO VERY HARD ON TO MAKE AN APPROPRIATE ENCOUNTER. HAVE YOUR DM TELL YOU WHEN IT'S A GOOD IDEA TO APPLY INFINITE DAMAGE.

Can be accomplished by using the the d2 crusader (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=11133286&postcount=3) method, or by using Dragonmark Fist with the same Aura of Chaos stance. The second method requires Eberron material and Action Points to be allowed.

The second method has limited uses, and because it takes from your Action Point pool, it means you won't have those Action Points when you really need them.

Vizzerdrix
2016-11-13, 12:50 PM
Magic of Faerun has gold plated weapons. Put it on gauntlets to up the damage 1 die and be able to power attack with them.

The Viscount
2016-11-13, 02:07 PM
Frostrager will work on an unarmed character, as will Black Blood Cultist.

ExLibrisMortis
2016-11-13, 05:21 PM
You can also dip a lvl monk for the imp. unarmed strike. you lose monk AC, flurry and movement with armor, but the unarmed strike stays.
In heavy armour, city brawler barbarian and fighter are both better than the monk dip, I think. Battledancer is probably better, too, depending on how much you want that bab over the fort/will saves. And unarmed swordsage, if that's allowed.

I second Tashalatora psychic warrior (or ardent, if you can handle feat-starvedness).

Remuko
2016-11-13, 10:47 PM
Warlock can qualify for EF (only requires: arcane caster level 3rd), but can't use some of the abilities who needs you to be able to cast spells. But the important part of the PRC is, that it progresses you unarmed dmg and Eldritch Blast dmg (8/10). This is a heavy boost in dmg dice.

How does it do this? I read up on the class and dont understand how you think this works.

Troacctid
2016-11-13, 11:15 PM
Any class that advances warlock casting also advances blast damage.

Gruftzwerg
2016-11-14, 12:37 AM
How does it do this? I read up on the class and dont understand how you think this works.

you need to look up the part in complete arcane where the PRC options/rules for warlocks are described. page 18.

Remuko
2016-11-14, 09:50 AM
Any class that advances warlock casting also advances blast damage.

Ah okay thanks. I havent played a lot of warlock so I must have missed that part. :) That's neat!