PDA

View Full Version : I present...the civilization generator!

WarKitty
2016-11-12, 10:24 PM
With much credit to blackouttwo for filing in many ideas.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1e6sH0H8UIhhh-8h8NtrNXDypMUbgZUShIN67i29ikT0/edit?usp=sharing

This is basically meant as a quick way to form the outlines of a unique-feeling civilization. The table is meant to be mostly system-neutral, although this means some options may not be suitable for some settings. The idea is to give the gamemaster a tool to design a civilization that feels realistic and full, while still having a wide variety within a setting and without having to resort to stereotypes.

Artemis97
2016-11-12, 10:39 PM
This is really neat, Kitty. You and Blackouttwo did really good work here. I'll be saving this for later use, for sure!

Blackhawk748
2016-11-13, 07:27 PM
Neat, will be using this in Sci Fi games

BonJovi17
2018-03-27, 07:16 PM
:smallcool:This is really cool. You think you could add country animal mascots? Or at least help us narrow it down? (And when I say animal mascots, I mean like the lion is the UK’s mascot, the bald eagle is the USA, China is the dragon, Russia is the bear, and I think Australia is the kangaroo. I could be wrong with the last one.) Anyway, I figured this would make any sci-fi story that I conjure up more realistic than a society on a planet that has something like “the gorgon” as mascot. Otherwise it’s picture perfect.

Honest Tiefling
2018-03-27, 07:33 PM
It does look good and seems like a great way to get rid of writer's block.

My only complaint is the first table, which 1) assumes that the society HAS an idea of race, which isn't always historically accurate and 2) that race = ethnicity. No mention of being assimilated into another ethnicity or anything that would work with racial identity separate from lineage. Number 4 doesn't work if you have a system where you can have multiple races present in a single family group as well as it would in other ideas of race.

Poiuytrewq
2018-03-28, 12:04 PM
This is awesome, great work!

Useful and creative I like it :D

BonJovi17
2018-03-28, 12:20 PM
It does look good and seems like a great way to get rid of writer's block.

My only complaint is the first table, which 1) assumes that the society HAS an idea of race, which isn't always historically accurate and 2) that race = ethnicity. No mention of being assimilated into another ethnicity or anything that would work with racial identity separate from lineage. Number 4 doesn't work if you have a system where you can have multiple races present in a single family group as well as it would in other ideas of race.

Point taken. But I still like it. If you’re like me, you slam the gavel for problems (or lack of problems) in a fictional society, and this is just a helpful tool.

Shocksrivers
2018-05-02, 09:07 AM
Wow, cool, very helpful for getting away from biases!