PDA

View Full Version : Bloodstorm Blade PrC

danielxcutter
2016-11-12, 11:49 PM
I'm pretty sure there are two basic archetypes for Bloodstorm Blade:

#The "Power Thrower"

Probably the more optimal version, in which you throw bigass two-handed weapons. Brutal Throw and a high Strength score are obvious choices, and a half-giant or something else that gets Powerful Build could get really high damage per hit.

#The "Nimble Thrower"

A "traditional" thrower, where you throw light weapons, perhaps while TWFing. Daggers or shortswords are probably the most optimal, since the Shadow Blade feat allows you to add Dexterity to damage. Halfling + Shadow Blade = Ouch.

Any ideas for each type? Assume I have little to no additional knowledge of what multiclassing, feats, or prestige classes to add(which is about half true), and elaborate if it isn't blatently obvious(preferably do so even if it is: no harm in detailed explainations).

Darrin
2016-11-13, 07:01 AM
Well, the Katana Chucker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?134276-3-5-Iaijutsu-Katana-Chucker) is what springs to my mind.

Bloodstorm Blade opens up the Power Attack feat chains to thrown weapons, so you're more likely to see the Power Thrower than the other one. I'm not sure I see any advantage to having a Dex-based Bloodstorm Blade.

danielxcutter
2016-11-13, 07:33 AM
Well, the Katana Chucker (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?134276-3-5-Iaijutsu-Katana-Chucker) is what springs to my mind.

Bloodstorm Blade opens up the Power Attack feat chains to thrown weapons, so you're more likely to see the Power Thrower than the other one. I'm not sure I see any advantage to having a Dex-based Bloodstorm Blade.

Power Attack feat chain? Could you elaborate?

Also that Katana Chucker build is both perfectly sound in fluff and crunch, while being utterly hilarious at the same time.

Darrin
2016-11-13, 08:12 AM
Power Attack feat chain? Could you elaborate?

Well, it's not so much a chain as most of the big payoff melee combos rely on Power Attack + Shock Trooper and/or Leap Attack. This is usually referred to as an "Ubercharger", and you can add a few multipliers on top of that basic combo: Headlong Rush, Valorous weapon, Frenzied Berserker, etc. Depending on how exactly you parse the math, you can convert each +1 BAB you invest in Power Attack into +8 or +12 damage. This turns the Ubercharger into the melee equivalent of Rocket Tag: if he's close enough to charge it, then it will be dead in one round.

The Dex-based feats don't really have the same synergy, as they assume you're using your Dex to make ranged attacks. You can get your Dex bonus x3 by using Shadow Blade, Dead Eye, and the Hit-and-Run Fighter ACF against a flat-footed target, but Swordsage doesn't get into Bloodstorm Blade quite as easily as Warblade.

OldTrees1
2016-11-13, 10:37 AM
Bloodstorm Blade does 3 things:
1) Iron Heart Strikes at range
2) Burn maneuvers to Melee Full Attack at range
3) Burn maneuvers to Melee or Ranged attack everyone at range

Master Thrower's Palm Throw trick would allow you 2 hits as long as you use little throwing weapons(like daggers).

Power Attack unlocks certain melee bonuses like the Knockback feat for one-handed or two-handed weapons.

And all sorts of other melee tricks(aspiring BloodStorm Blades can learn a lot from Fighters). Some examples of strats for 2 & 3:
2) Thunderous Throw + Lightning Ricochet + Knockback
Divide and conquer via forced movement.
3) Blade Storm + Persistent Attacker + Staggering Strike
Stagger everyone until you miss them.