PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Easiest ways to raise fort saves

Frosty
2016-11-13, 02:14 AM
Okay, so I'm playing an oracle (intrigue mystery) at 10th level. I have a Con bonus of +3, a +2 cloak of resistance (I will probably upgrade this one soon), and a Lucky Horseshoe (it gives +2 to all saves thanks to a trait I have).

What are other good and easy ways to raise my fort save? My next two feat selections are likely locked in already, and it's probably not Great Fortitude.

Vhaidara
2016-11-13, 05:13 PM
Well, the usual way for an oracle to boost their saves is a dip into paladin, which comes with the nice side benefit of Lay on Hands, synergizing well with Life Oracles. Very useful for Oracles of paladin-type gods like Iomedae.

Desril
2016-11-13, 05:18 PM
While it doesn't work for an Iomedaean like the above suggestion, you can play off of a devout character and pray to an Alter of Sarenrae daily for another +1 bonus.

Or, if you want to go another route from Paladin, becoming a vampire or a lich would dramatically increase an oracle's fortitude save, losing your probably mediocre Con and gaining Cha to saves.

Frosty
2016-11-13, 05:54 PM
I don't think the GM will allow for being an undead in this campaign. But do tell me about how praying at alters gives bonuses to Fort saves.

Ualaa
2016-11-13, 06:04 PM
For the Oracle, not so much, but a melee type can easily multiclass.
BAB stacks with BAB.

Caster levels, do if you can find a Prestige Class, that is +x magic levels.
Not so much, if they add levels in another spellcasting class.

You can offset lost levels a little, with Magical Knack, the trait.
Generally speaking, don't surrender caster levels unless the rest of the group is very unoptimized as well, so you'd fit in with them and not doing so makes you a lot more powerful.

If you're using the Spheres of Power, they have a concept which basically divides casters into 'High', 'Medium', and 'Low' casters.
This allows your casting to stack similarly to a melee type's Base Attack Bonus.
So you can multiclass between casting classes, and not totally lose out.
There's even a feat, which allows your levels in non-casting classes to count as 'Low' caster levels.
Your DM/GM might allow the equivalent, but probably not unless the Sphere's system is valid in your game (whether as a replacement or concurrent magic system).

A few prestige classes, with fast Fort progressions, and +existing caster levels:

Agent of the Grave
Holy Vindicator
Inheritor's Crusade

Didn't see too many in my Hero Lab list.
There could be more.

Oneris
2016-11-13, 06:13 PM
Ruin Delver's Fortune is obscene. Get it on a partially charged wand or a 2/day custom item. Immediate action CHA mod to Fort or 4d8+CHA temp hp for 1d4 rounds should let you survive anything.

Headband of Conscious Effort (Complete Adventurer, 4000gp) is 1/day making a concentration check in place of a fortitude check. You should probably have maxed your concentration skill.

Belt of Endurance (Arms and Equipment Guide, 9000) is +2 Con and gives you Great Fortitude feat.

This Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?187851-3-5-Lists-of-Necessary-Magic-Items) has a good list of items against Death Effects and negative energy attacks, which is what I'm assuming you need that fort save for.

Less on the shopping side, a Rat familiar gets you +2 fort saves and a pet rat(!), Heroism lasts 10 min/level and gives you a +2 morale bonus on all saves, Polymorphing into a Troll or something else with a high Con (like a Troll) also boosts fort saves.

There's also a lot of PrCs that give Cha to Fort, like Hexblade, Eldeen Ranger, Witch Hunter, and Holy Liberator
Going Necropolitan will also make you immune to most fort stuff and 1d8+CHA probably gives you more hit points than 1d8+CON.

Frosty
2016-11-13, 10:03 PM
Thanks Oneris, but I'm using Pathfinder stuff only not 3.5

Knight Magenta
2016-11-14, 01:36 PM
I recomend the wonderful world of drugs! Ehm, I mean "alchemical performance enhancements".

For the low low price of 50gp, there is
Antiplague (http://archivesofnethys.com/EquipmentMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Antiplague), for a +5 alchemical bonus vs disease
Antitoxin (http://archivesofnethys.com/EquipmentMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Antitoxin) against poison
and Sooth Syrup (http://archivesofnethys.com/EquipmentMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Soothe%20syrup) against nausea costs only 25gp

So for a total of 125 gp you will get a +5 bonus against the most common sources of fort saves. All the bonuses last an hour so it should only take you one dose of each to get through the day. The cost should be peanuts for you at level 10, and pretty much everything stacks with alchemical bonuses.

Slightly more expensive is Ambrosia (http://archivesofnethys.com/EquipmentMiscDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Ambrosia%20(via l)) with gives you a +2 sacred bonus against death effects.

Barstro
2016-11-14, 01:43 PM
For way too much money, IMO, you can get a Luck-Blade (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/luck-blade) for a luck bonus and a reroll each day.

MindTheGap97
2016-11-14, 04:00 PM
If you are willing to dip Paladin that's the best way to do it: good base Fort and with only 2 levels you can get Cha to all saves, alongside with Smite Evil and Lay on Hands. Then you can pick up Additional Traits into Magical Knack to bring your caster level full again.

Frosty
2016-11-15, 03:44 AM
I already have a Luck bonus, so that won't be helpful.

Now, Ambrosia is intriguing. You guys think it's worth it at 100 gp a pop? Death effects are amongst the scariest of the fort saves. My character just ate a Destruction earlier this level. and, can anyone make Ambrosia without any special feats?

EldritchWeaver
2016-11-15, 09:02 AM
If you're using the Spheres of Power, they have a concept which basically divides casters into 'High', 'Medium', and 'Low' casters.
This allows your casting to stack similarly to a melee type's Base Attack Bonus.
So you can multiclass between casting classes, and not totally lose out.
There's even a feat, which allows your levels in non-casting classes to count as 'Low' caster levels.
Your DM/GM might allow the equivalent, but probably not unless the Sphere's system is valid in your game (whether as a replacement or concurrent magic system).

On that note, there is a magic item using SoP rules (a cloak), which grants your Charisma bonus as a bonus to all saves and adds a +10 Stealth bonus. It is sold for 80k.

exelsisxax
2016-11-15, 01:39 PM
I already have a Luck bonus, so that won't be helpful.

Now, Ambrosia is intriguing. You guys think it's worth it at 100 gp a pop? Death effects are amongst the scariest of the fort saves. My character just ate a Destruction earlier this level. and, can anyone make Ambrosia without any special feats?

Ambrosia can't be crafted. Has to be purchased.

Arutema
2016-11-16, 02:17 AM
Ambrosia can't be crafted. Has to be purchased.

Strange, Advanced Race Guide gives a Craft (Alchemy) DC of 25 to create it, but lists it under Aasimar equipment, which leaves it up to GM call if a non-Aasimar can learn the secret to create it.