PDA

View Full Version : Beguiler vs. Paladin of Freedom

AlanBruce
2016-11-13, 03:43 AM
Greetings! I am running a 3.5 game with a Beguiler antagonist against a party with two Paladins of Freedom (the variant versions in UA).

These two paladins in particular have this as a class feature:

Aura of Resolve (Su)

Beginning at 3rd level, a paladin of freedom is immune to compulsion effects. Each ally within 10 feet of him gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against compulsion effects. This ability otherwise functions identically to the paladin's aura of courage class feature.

So they scare easily, but you can't dominate them, and that's fine. Goes with the whole Freedom concept built around them.

And yes, beguilers have more than just enchantments, but it is one of their staple schools, followed by illusion.

I was looking at their list of available enchantments (and enchantments not on their list), and sadly, all of those spells have the Compulsion tag, which means that, yes: the beguiler can mess the paladins with other tricks (they do have access to UMD), but I want to not resort to that and use his spells mainly.

So I ask: are there any Enchantment spells that don't carry such tag? I was looking at Feeblemind, which would work wonders against a paladin and his saves (one of the paladins is a pixie and by my interpretation, one of his SLAs are arcane in nature, so the -4 penalty to saves would apply), but alas, it has the Compulsion tag as well.

If you have any suggestions or know some Enchantment spells that don't carry it (I'm guessing there aren't, but who knows), please post them here.

Thank you very much in advance.

Troacctid
2016-11-13, 03:54 AM
Charm spells are usually not compulsions.

Venger
2016-11-13, 04:11 AM
Greetings! I am running a 3.5 game with a Beguiler antagonist against a party with two Paladins of Freedom (the variant versions in UA).

These two paladins in particular have this as a class feature:

So they scare easily, but you can't dominate them, and that's fine. Goes with the whole Freedom concept built around them.

And yes, beguilers have more than just enchantments, but it is one of their staple schools, followed by illusion.

I was looking at their list of available enchantments (and enchantments not on their list), and sadly, all of those spells have the Compulsion tag, which means that, yes: the beguiler can mess the paladins with other tricks (they do have access to UMD), but I want to not resort to that and use his spells mainly.

So I ask: are there any Enchantment spells that don't carry such tag? I was looking at Feeblemind, which would work wonders against a paladin and his saves (one of the paladins is a pixie and by my interpretation, one of his SLAs are arcane in nature, so the -4 penalty to saves would apply), but alas, it has the Compulsion tag as well.

If you have any suggestions or know some Enchantment spells that don't carry it (I'm guessing there aren't, but who knows), please post them here.

Thank you very much in advance.

No they do not.

The first spell listed on the beguiler's list for his 1st level spells, charm person, isn't a compulsion.

there are about 70 spells in enchantment that aren't compulsion.

here they are alphabetically:

addiction
adoration of the frightful
battle hymn
bolts of bedevilment
charm animal
charm monster
charm monster, mass
charm person
charm person or ghost
charm person, mass
cloak of hate
denounce
drug resistance
elation
enthrall
entice gift (my favorite advanced learning for beguiler)
evil eye
forbidden speech
freezing glance (noteworthy for being one of the few non-mind-affecting enchantments)
getaway
mark of sin
masochism
mindrape
morality undone
proud arrogance
rapture of the deep
restful slumber
sacrificial skill
sadism
sap strength
secret signs
shock and awe
sorrow
spread of savagery
stay the hand
stupor
touch of madness
train animal
verraketh’s shadow crown
vision of heaven
wave of grief

Crake
2016-11-13, 05:56 AM
as is the solution to all problems with good paladins: Get morality undone with one of your advanced learnings. It is an enchantment spell, mind affecting and evil, yes, but a compulsion it is not. Hit the paladin with that spell and he immediately loses his paladin powers due to having an evil alignment. Sure he can atone later, but for the time being he loses his paladin powers, including his immunity to compulsions. Now it's a simple matter of dominate and play with your new puppet :smallamused: