PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Dervish and tumbling

Keral
2016-11-13, 06:41 AM
Hi!

I have a few questions about a tumbling dervish.

Dervish Dance (Ex): A dervish can become a whirling dancer of death a certain number of times per day. While in this dervish dance, she can take a full attack action (for melee attacks only) and still move up to her speed. However, the dervish must move a minimum of 5 feet between each attack when using this ability, and she cannot return to a square she just exited (though she may return to that square later during her full attack). The dervish is subject to attacks of opportunity while dancing, but may tumble normally as part of her move. A dervish prevented from completing her move is also prevented from finishing her full attack.

Tumble at one-half speed as part of normal movement, provoking no attacks of opportunity while doing so. Failure means you provoke attacks of opportunity normally. Check separately for each opponent you move past, in the order in which you pass them (player’s choice of order in case of a tie). Each additional enemy after the first adds +2 to the Tumble DC.

The bit that confuses me most is the half movement bit.

He has a movement speed of 25 feet and, as far as I know, that means that during his turn he can only move a total of 25 feet, right?

How does the half movement come in? Does that mean that he could move 10 feet, approach the target, attack, then if he wants to tumble he can only move at half speed? Meaning 7,5* of the remaining 15 feet? Can he then move again for the remaining 7,5 (or whichever after I round it?).

Ps: the bit about preventing the movement stopping the attack, what qualifies for stopping it? An attack of opportunity?

*Do I round that up or down? Or can he move half a square?

Darrin
2016-11-13, 07:12 AM
He has a movement speed of 25 feet and, as far as I know, that means that during his turn he can only move a total of 25 feet, right?

While using Dervish Dance, yes, you move up to your normal speed.

How does the half movement come in? Does that mean that he could move 10 feet, approach the target, attack, then if he wants to tumble he can only move at half speed? Meaning 7,5* of the remaining 15 feet? Can he then move again for the remaining 7,5 (or whichever after I round it?).

It's easier to think of this in terms of squares. To use tumble at half speed, pick which squares you want to tumble through, and those squares cost 10' instead of 5'. So you could move forward 10', tumble through the next 5' square (costs 10'), and then you have 5' of movement left. That isn't enough to tumble into a new square, so you finish your move by moving 5' into a new square. With a 25' speed, you can tumble through two squares during your move.

Ps: the bit about preventing the movement stopping the attack, what qualifies for stopping it? An attack of opportunity?

Yes, probably an AoO, and if one of your opponents uses his AoO to trip you, that would stop your movement (unless you had a method to stand up as a free action).

*Do I round that up or down? Or can he move half a square?

In D&D, you always round down unless noted otherwise. You can't move half a square.

Keral
2016-11-13, 07:17 AM
Ahh! Thanks! Yes, thinking about the squares really helps.

Now I'll have to keep an eye on the dervish and make sure he counts correctly :P