PDA

View Full Version : Sword & Sorcery - Adventuring like Conan, Elric, Jirel, and Kane

Yora
2016-11-13, 09:41 AM
I am currently in the home stretch of preparing my next campaign, which is a mash of three adventures from early first to late third edition and some videogame levels taking place in the same town at the same time. And before I go to statting the NPCs, building the encounters, and redrawing the dungeons, I want to give the whole setup a nice Sword & Sorcery makeover in the spirit of Robert Howard, Michael Moorcok, Clark Ashton Smith, and Karl Wagner. (And of course some others.)

What do you think of these ideas and do you have more to add?

Races and Classes: I think all the options in 5th edition are fine for PCs and NPCs. Halflings and paladins aren't like anything you'd encounter in most classic Sword & Sorcery tales, but as long ss they are not played as goody two shoes with a stick up their butt or kenders, I think it's fine. Regis in the first Driz'zt books (which were very much Sword & Sorcery) worked fine and in the Witcher game the knight Siegfried was basically a Paladin who fit right in hunting monsters in the sewers or leading assaults against elven guerilla camps.
I would recommend that all PCs are listed as unaligned, so the players just go with the flow and don't feel like they have to stick to specific behaviors, but with the negligible mechanical impact of alignment and no way to identify the alignment of NPCs it shouldn't be any real problem to keep it.

Maximum Level: I think that the higher level spells of D&D don't fit with Sword & Sorcery. There are two options to deal with that. Either cap all PCs and NPCs at 10th level and allow no further progress, or if you want to run a longer campaign with even more powerful PCs remove all the spells from 6th to 9th level from the spell lists. Since many spells can be used to greater effect with higher level slots, spellcasters above 10th level still increase their magic power and of course also the amount of spells per day. (You could also put the cap at 8th/4th level or 12th/6th level if you want the cutoff point higher or lower.)

Resting: I really would stick with the standard rules for resting and not use the variant for slower rests. Sword & Sorcery tends to be on the grittier side of fantasy but in practice the heroes always get only minor scratches and keep going without a care. I think the quick recovery of short and long rests fits that style really well, especially when there is no cleric or druid in the party. I can't really think of any Sword & Sorcery story where the hero has to sneak around in the shadows because he's too weakened by his injuries to fight. Conan gets badly hurt once, but he first kills all the remaining enemies before he has to sit down and by that point the adventure is completed.

Giant Animals: Even though they are not terribly common in most stories, few things scream Sword & Sorcery to me like giant reptiles and giant insects. Probably because they are mostly unheared of in other types of fantasy. Huge bears, tigers, and apes are also great and similarly rare in other fantasy. In addition to giant sized normal animals, 5th edition also has ankhegs, behirs, bullets, carrion crawlers, owlbears, remorhazes, and wyverns which are also all very nice fits.

Monstrous Humanoids: There are good number of really bestial humanoids in the monster manual like ettercaps, ghouls, gnolls, harpies, hags, minotaurs, yuan-ti, and also grimlocks. I would mostly rely on these for humanoid opponents instead of the usual goblins and orcs which are still very humanlike in both appearance and behavior.

Dens of Debauchery: I think for Sword & Sorcery the taverns need to have a strong character and be given a good amount of detail that goes beyond "table, beds, barkeeper". Taverns are were a great amount or even majority of social interactions will take place and are the best location to show off the rowdy life of adventurers and scoundrels. Taverns or the halls of kings and warlords should be presented as loud and crowded and stuff should be happening there. NPCs spying on the party or trying to steal from them or attempt assasinations, and of course the occasional bar fight. Taverns should not feel like the game menu screen.

Weird Dungeon Architecture: Almost all dungeons I've seen in fantasy RPGs feel very much like being either castles, abandoned basements, or military bases with natural cave walls. For Sword & Sorcery this is not enough. Sometimes the adventure does lead the party into a normal castle or a well maintained prison, but most of the time, dungeons in Sword & Sorcery are magical and unnatural places that have only passing resemblance to the normal world outside. Even when they are small they are Mythic Underworlds. In my own campaign, which is a very animistic world with lots of spirits, I actually make the entrances to these dungeons portals into the Spiritworld.
There's probably a huge range of options to do that which someone could write a book about. (Note to self.)

Uncertain Outer Planes: Even though Planescape is great and could be seen as Sword & Sorcery in its own quirky way, I think the standard outer planes of D&D don't really work with a more mainstream kind of Sword & Sorcery, particularly the good planes. Everything from Pandemonium to Gehenna could work really well, but being able to open a gate and walk among the gods and angels in Elysium and Celestia just doesn't fit a Sword & Sorcery game.
One approach that I could see working quite well would be to have Heaven and the Hells to be very different in nature and not be analogous and matching opposites of each other. Heaven can be an unknown place unreachable by mortal magic while the hells are open to visitors and demons very willing to answer mortals and listen to their offers of bargains. Or if you want to go down that route, there could be no Heaven, only numerous Hells.
In my campaign the only two other planes are the Spiritworld (Feywild) and the Void (Astral), which can not be visited but is the home of demons.

Few Magic Items: Sword & Sorcery heroes rarely carry more than one or two magical items with them and often don't have any enchanted weapons or armor at all. If they have something it's usually protective items that directly counter specific abilities of magical creatures. And alchemy. Lots of alchemy. If you want to give players a good amount of magical help in a Sword & Sorcery campaign, go nuts with potions.

Stan
2016-11-13, 10:13 AM
You definitely need at least one giant ape or creature that is between man and ape.
In a game I'm planning, I opted for level 11 as the cap instead of 10 Fighters get their 3rd attack and cantrips improve.

Not just low magic items, generally lowish wealth. Most of the heroes don't get rich after a couple of adventures. One possibility is high wealth or a good, permanent magic item are things that need to be built into the character with feats. Elric's sword is somewhat of a defining feature but you can't just go around handing out swords like that to everyone.

Beleriphon
2016-11-13, 10:32 AM
Dens of Debauchery: I think for Sword & Sorcery the taverns need to have a strong character and be given a good amount of detail that goes beyond "table, beds, barkeeper". Taverns are were a great amount or even majority of social interactions will take place and are the best location to show off the rowdy life of adventurers and scoundrels. Taverns or the halls of kings and warlords should be presented as loud and crowded and stuff should be happening there. NPCs spying on the party or trying to steal from them or attempt assasinations, and of course the occasional bar fight. Taverns should not feel like the game menu screen.

On that note, the DMG carousing rules are probably your best bet, and I even suggest they are the only way to recover from lingering injuries and maybe even "level" up. So the PCs can only level up after adventures, and having a good rest in town while also having some crazy stuff. Maybe each inn modifies the likeliness of each possible option on the carousing table. For example Corman the Bear hits up the wild Goose and Wyvern Tavern, while his more refined Mikel the Magnificent visits the Lady's Game Inn to their down time to level up. The Goose is a rough place, more likely to get robbed, go to the goal or get in a fight. The Lady is more likely to end up getting drunk, losing money gambling, or spending too many evenings with a lovely companion.

The end result is the same for each character, but it gives a bit of flavour to what each player wants their character to be doing, and encourages them to pick places to visit after adventuring that fits what they want to have happen, or hopefully have happen.

Weird Dungeon Architecture: Almost all dungeons I've seen in fantasy RPGs feel very much like being either castles, abandoned basements, or military bases with natural cave walls. For Sword & Sorcery this is not enough. Sometimes the adventure does lead the party into a normal castle or a well maintained prison, but most of the time, dungeons in Sword & Sorcery are magical and unnatural places that have only passing resemblance to the normal world outside. Even when they are small they are Mythic Underworlds. In my own campaign, which is a very animistic world with lots of spirits, I actually make the entrances to these dungeons portals into the Spiritworld.
There's probably a huge range of options to do that which someone could write a book about. (Note to self.)

I think borrowing from Skyrim, or the Elder Scrolls games can help here. Elder Scrolls tends towards Sword and Sorcery game play, even if the world really isn't like that. Skyrim in particular has the ancient Nord ruins, which tend to share a similar look: semi natural caverns and carved out barrows, Dwemer ruins which combine steam technology and magic with stone architecture, and natural caverns (both ice and rock).

Awaiting more in for Hammerfell for what to expect from that game since its going to be more desert and less snow.

Uncertain Outer Planes: Even though Planescape is great and could be seen as Sword & Sorcery in its own quirky way, I think the standard outer planes of D&D don't really work with a more mainstream kind of Sword & Sorcery, particularly the good planes. Everything from Pandemonium to Gehenna could work really well, but being able to open a gate and walk among the gods and angels in Elysium and Celestia just doesn't fit a Sword & Sorcery game.
One approach that I could see working quite well would be to have Heaven and the Hells to be very different in nature and not be analogous and matching opposites of each other. Heaven can be an unknown place unreachable by mortal magic while the hells are open to visitors and demons very willing to answer mortals and listen to their offers of bargains. Or if you want to go down that route, there could be no Heaven, only numerous Hells.
In my campaign the only two other planes are the Spiritworld (Feywild) and the Void (Astral), which can not be visited but is the home of demons.

Planescape is more a sword and planet style game, which share much with sword and sorcery, but tends towards even weirder stuff. That being said again look to the Elder Scrolls for inspiration for otherworldly realms. The Daedra all have their own realms and more or less fit into the power level of demon lords like Demogorgon in D&D. In Skyrim you can visit Hermaeus Mora's realm of Apocrypha is a massive crumbling library full of books and scrolls that are both brand new and rotting away. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion of course feature Mehrune Dagon's realm in Oblivion named the Deadlands.

As a comparison the Aedra, the dichtomy to the daedric princes (not their opposite good counter parts mind you), created the world of Nirn and its environs as well as its people. But in doing so they exhausted much of their power and as such cannot interact with the world, or their creations.

Few Magic Items: Sword & Sorcery heroes rarely carry more than one or two magical items with them and often don't have any enchanted weapons or armor at all. If they have something it's usually protective items that directly counter specific abilities of magical creatures. And alchemy. Lots of alchemy. If you want to give players a good amount of magical help in a Sword & Sorcery campaign, go nuts with potions.

I like the idea that magic items are rare, powerful artifacts, in particular weapons. For example using 5E's approach with three attunement slots, most character would have at most three magic items of some kind. Corman the Bear might have magic sword looted from an ancient tomb along with a matching shield, while Mikel the Magnificent has Silk Boots he stole when he killed the Spider Queen as well as a poison dagger that constantly oozes poison that he found half buried near a weird altar in the Swamps of Sorrow.

Yora
2016-11-13, 11:03 AM
Oh yeah, awesome idea with carousing. I think I might actually handle it that you can only get a long rest after carousing. Once your skull stops hurting you're back to full strength.
I have to check which abilities would be affected by this for the classes that are in my campaign and below the level cap.

Speaking of optional rules, I very much recommend using Inspiration a lot. Award it for anything that the players do that is recklessly and daringly awesome. The best rule I've taken away from Atlantis: The Second Age (great approach to Sword & Sorcery but too complex for me) is to give such benefits regardless of success or failure. Don't award inspiration for doing cool things, give it for trying cool things. Cool stunts are more fun and exciting when they happen against expectation rather than being something with a certain outcome. Rewarding failure motivates players to try at every opportunity instead of waiting for the right moment.

Morrowind is my main source of inspiration for the style of environments and creatures. It's much more weird and exotic than even the rest of the series.

One point I forgot is to use Nonstandard Settlements. Morrowind has lots of great examples. Ald'Rhun and Vivec are really pretty ordinary in what stores and NPCs you have in them, but they look competely unlike average fantasy towns. Cliffside town, treetop villages, and mountain fortresses are all cool as well. Some medieval farmhouses between fields just isn't going to excite anyone. When the players reach a new settlement they should think Well, this is new...

Inchoroi
2016-11-13, 11:49 AM
For a sword and sorcery feel to healing, do what I do:

After a long rest, you no longer regain hit points automatically. Instead, when you begin your long rest, you may spend hit dice to regain hit points, as if you were taking a short rest. At the end of your long rest, you regain half your current hit dice.

Beleriphon
2016-11-13, 11:57 AM
Morrowind is my main source of inspiration for the style of environments and creatures. It's much more weird and exotic than even the rest of the series.

I'm waiting for Hammerfell excitedly since it might mean get to see the homeland the Redguad, which should put a new twist on the design for the games, as well as the homeland of the Khajit where every house is just a giant cardboard box. :smallbiggrin:

One point I forgot is to use Nonstandard Settlements. Morrowind has lots of great examples. Ald'Rhun and Vivec are really pretty ordinary in what stores and NPCs you have in them, but they look competely unlike average fantasy towns. Cliffside town, treetop villages, and mountain fortresses are all cool as well. Some medieval farmhouses between fields just isn't going to excite anyone. When the players reach a new settlement they should think Well, this is new...

This is fun, but I think a basic town has its benefits as it grounds the area as safe, and maybe even sort of normal, which allows the danger to be more surprising since it is now affecting "normal" people rather than those weirdos in the bug-butt houses. The dichotomy is of course important when contrasting what you want the players to think versus what they are actually going to think. Make things too different and they don't connect with the game the way you intend, but at the same time make things to mundane and you lose some of the fun of sword and sorcery.

My preferred method of making things different is use ancient architecture to differentiate area. Remember before the advent of flying buttresses the only want to build something taller was to make the walls thicker. That's the reason pyramids were popular shapes for massive structures all over the world, a massive base was constructed and smaller levels were built on top. The Pyramids of Giza are considerably shorter than the Empire State Building, but they're nearly solid material all the way through.

So I think one major way to differentiate locations by architecture is to have cyclopean architecture be used by one group near another one that is using something more akin to Mesopotamian mixed with say Roman. That way you can equally large structures, but the second group is going to look very different with the use of arches and ziggurats compared to what we could look at in Mycenea.

djreynolds
2016-11-14, 03:33 AM
I love this, would you be willing to send out a PDF of the adventure.

Yora
2016-11-14, 09:53 AM
I plan to, once I've run it and have some results how the NPCs and homebrew monsters played out. Might well take until summer, though.

JackPhoenix
2016-11-14, 12:24 PM
I'll just leave this here... http://www.sasquatchgamestudio.com/products/primeval-thule/

Willie the Duck
2016-11-14, 12:41 PM
I might suggest looking at the armor and weapons charts to decide which ones you want to add, subtract, or modify.

Yora
2016-11-14, 12:49 PM
That depends very heavily on the specific setting. I don't think there are any generally applicable statements to be made about weapons and armor when it comes to Sword & Sorcery. Elric and The Witcher seem to have plenty of plate armor while Imaro probably doesn't have anything straight out of the D&D arsenal.

FreddyNoNose
2016-11-14, 06:54 PM
1) All for downtime after an adventure. To allow players not only to recovery but to do spell research, help at the local church, make armor, etc. You can then do accelerated time to skip months or years even. You can also take this time to do one on one adventures or subset adventures.

2) one on one or subset adventures. Allow one on one adventures. They can be as simple as exploring the great library at the mages guild, a priest reading old scrolls, rogues snooping and hearing about "treasure" or a paladin getting is warhorse. the idea is these are places that fill in world information, setups short, medium, and long term player goals. I have often used a multi-step approach for mages to acquire something of great power. They need A to do B which leads to C .... item acquired @Z.

NOTE: sometimes the players ask NPC's questions or do things in downtime that are amazing to setup further adventures if a DM is up for that type of improvisation.

Also, when starting a new group, I normally have one on one sessions with each player. They create the character and we set off to do something for that character. The last time I did this, there were four players. It started with four one on one session. Then as a rogue needed a cleric, they paired up for an adventure. The mage needed a warrior so they paired up for an adventure. Finally the group coming together as one.

3) Allow players to run more than one character.

4) Allow them to hire extra NPCs to help them out their adventures. They help PC overcome opponents and can serve as the one who dies in a pinch.

5) for Sword and Sorcery magic items. Highly recommend expendable items. They get used once and are destroyed in the process. It goes hand in hand with things like tribal shaman making these items kind of feel. Think conan on the coast fighting picts.

thorr-kan
2016-11-21, 12:09 PM
I'd second the Adventures in Middle Earth recommendation.

And if that's a little two low magic, you could include the Magic Initiate and Ritual Caster feats for your magical power.

Tangentially, the Scholar class from d20 Conan might be adaptable to your setting. The Sorcery rules there aren't too powerful compared to regular d20, and I think it would port well to 5ED.

There's also d20 Conan's carousing rules. You can't keep a fortune because your character keeps blowing through it between adventures, living the high life.

Sicarius Victis
2016-11-21, 12:56 PM
Perhaps remove full-casters and introduce a few homebrewed 1/2-casting and 1/3-casting options to fill the gaps?