PDA

View Full Version : 2E Mutants & Masterminds: Noncombat Characters (Mods please move)

Ninjadeadbeard
2016-11-13, 04:30 PM
So I've been thinking of a lot of characters for an M&M game a friend wants to run. There was one though that struck me very keenly: a psychic detective.

Trouble is, when I looked over what I wanted from him I realized he wouldn't be a very good combat character. Low attack and defense (except mental), with powers geared towards Life Awareness (accurate, radius, blindfighting, etc), postcognition, and telepathy. And since I haven't played such a character before I was keen to try. But the lack of combat options worry me.

Tl;dr Is a noncombat focused character viable in M&M? Second Edition please.

MisterKaws
2016-11-13, 04:48 PM
M&M threads go here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?60-Older-D-amp-D-AD-amp-D-and-Other-Systems). Report your own post and ask for them to move you. The people over there should be better prepared to help you.

Roog
2016-11-13, 04:50 PM
Yes

Like any game it depends on how much combat the game contains.

Having said that, I would strongly recommend even a non-combat character having level appropriate defences. That allows the non-combat character options to contribute to combat using non-combat abilities (or flee), without being a total liability.
At the very minimum, they can take the die hard feat and sit out the remainder of the combat after getting hit - otherwise they need to be prepared to create a new character after the first significant combat.

A psychic detective has plenty of justifications for a high defense (whether as part of a power or not), and can easily justify having a high accuracy - while still maintaining the feel of a non-combat character

Ninjadeadbeard
2016-11-13, 05:08 PM
M&M threads go here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?60-Older-D-amp-D-AD-amp-D-and-Other-Systems). Report your own post and ask for them to move you. The people over there should be better prepared to help you.

Oops! I thought d20 covered it. I'll get on that.