PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder What would be the appropriate spell level for this effect?

digiman619
2016-11-13, 04:36 PM
I'm running a Sphere of Powers and Path of War game, so I've got a few people wielding odd weapons. Since finding an enchanted klar seems unlikely, I've decided that there will be an in-universe ritual that can transfer weapon enhancements to new weapons. This isn't a way to get more enhancements than WBL would let you; you can't just add ghost touch to a +4 scimitar to save 16K, but you can swap then enhancements on a +1 flaming scimitar and a +2 defending quarterstaff, making a +2 defending scimitar and a +1 flaming quarterstaff, or a masterwork axe with a sun blade to make a masterwork bastard sword and an axe that has the stats of a dwarven waraxe but feels like a battleaxe, and is a +2 weapon, but +4 vs evil foes and all the other goodness a sun blade has. Though obviously it wouldn't let you swap a keen enchantment onto a mace, as keen is slashing/piercing weapons only.

Since I'm running a SoP game, a spell that transfers those won't work, so I'm making it an invocation. Problem is, I don't know what spell level this effect should be, so I can't make the formula work to tell me the DC of the invocation should be. Help?

Jack_Simth
2016-11-13, 04:51 PM
It ultimately depends on how accessible you want it to be.

If you want it to be 'easy', then you want it at a lower spell level.
If you want it to be 'hard', then you want it at a higher spell level.

That's... pretty much it, really. If you want your players to have easy access to it, set it up such that they'll almost certainly make the DC without meaningful problems. If you want your players to struggle with it, set it up such that they'll maybe make the DC 'normally'. It doesn't have too large of a game balance impact, so it's mostly flavor (sort of like agelessness in D&D).

EldritchWeaver
2016-11-14, 07:56 AM
I think I've read in a DSP supplement about an item which allows to transfer enchantments from one object to another. Not sure if it allows mix an match or just a wholesome transfer. Probably it is in Steelforge (playtest?), because that is the most encompassing document regarding magic items I've looked at.

Fouredged Sword
2016-11-14, 09:31 AM
Here is what I would do

2rd level - magic transference - 1 hour cast time - You take the enchantments from one weapon and apply them to an unenchanted masterwork weapon. This destroys breaks the magic weapon forever.
3rd level - Improved magic Transference - 8 hour cast time - Same as Magic Transference but does not break the original weapon, merely unenchants it.
5th level - Advanced Transference - 8 hour cast time - You can apply the magic properties from one weapon onto another. This destroys the first weapon and applies a number of it's enchantments to the target weapon. The material component costs of this spell must be gems worth the difference between the value of the enchantments of the end result weapon and the initial pair of weapons combined.

Vhaidara
2016-11-14, 12:01 PM
I think I've read in a DSP supplement about an item which allows to transfer enchantments from one object to another. Not sure if it allows mix an match or just a wholesome transfer. Probably it is in Steelforge (playtest?), because that is the most encompassing document regarding magic items I've looked at.

Transferrence Vellum, Steelforge 1

Originally designed to assists blacksmiths in reforging magical weapons, this magically treated leather, about the size of a dish rag, can be used to strip magic off of weapons (or armor), and move them to another weapon (or armor). This process does not function on artifacts, legendary items, or cursed items.
By spending a minute rubbing the leather on a weapon or suit of magical armor, it will remove the item’s enhancement bonus and any special abilities (such as a +1 longsword’s +1 enhancement bonus on attack and damage rolls, or a flaming burst weapon special ability) and place it on itself. While the transference vellum is enhanced with these weapon qualities, these qualities are suppressed, but can be detected with a detect magic spell or similar effect. A transference vellum found already enhanced this way has its cost increased by the value of its enhancements.
Once imbued with magic, a transference vellum can be turned over and rubbed onto a new set of non-magical, masterwork weapon or armor, transferring the magic held within the transference vellum to the weapon or armor. This destroys the transference vellum, and only functions if it is generally the same kind of item (armor to armor and weapon to weapon). Any properties that the new item cannot accept (such as the vorpal weapon special ability on a club) are lost

0.5lb, 500gp, CL3
Crafting is 250gp, Craft Wondrous Item, memorize page, crafter’s fortune

stack
2016-11-14, 12:27 PM
Path of the crafter vizier has this as a class feature. I would have to look up the level they get it.

digiman619
2016-11-14, 01:07 PM
Path of the crafter vizier has this as a class feature. I would have to look up the level they get it.

Turns out it's 1st level. I think I can handwave that an NPC has 1 level in Vizier. Thanks for the help!