PDA

View Full Version : Dragons and Drakes that call the Desert home?

SangoProduction
2016-11-13, 05:26 PM
Are there any full-blooded dragon/drakes (not kobolds) that live primarily in the deserts? If so, which ones?

Ruethgar
2016-11-13, 05:32 PM
Blue, Brass, Copper, Yellow as I recall all live in deserts.

Draconium
2016-11-13, 05:32 PM
Off the top of my head, Blue and Brass Dragons like to live in the desert, as do Sand Dragons from Sandstorm. I'd have to check to see if there were any others, though.

DrMotives
2016-11-13, 05:52 PM
The above mentioned Blue & Brass from core. Brown from Monsters of the Faerun, Rattlyr from Shining South, Tungston from issue #356.
The above mention Yellow & Copper don't live in deserts, but kinda could. Yellow live coastal areas, so a desert beach could have Yellows. Copper live in rocky hills, which could easily overlap with desert terrain. If you go that way, you could also throw in Emerald which live extinct volcanoes.

If you want drakes, there's a bunch of elemental-themed drakes in Draconomicon. A fire, smoke, earth, wind, or magma drake might all make sense in a desert. Also, there's the terrain-based "landwyrms" which are wingless dragonlike monsters. Use a desert landwyrm, or with overlapping terrtain, a hill or mountain landwyrm.

barakaka
2016-11-13, 09:22 PM
Mercury Dragons love sunlight, so it's not a stretch for them to be in a desert. They're from Dragons of Faerun and are one of if not the fastest flying dragons; amazing maneuverability for a dragon.

ShurikVch
2016-11-15, 09:08 AM
Besides aforementioned, there are also:
Desert Landwyrm (Draconomicon)
Sunwyrm (Fiend Folio)
Spinewyrm (Dungeon #110 / Polyhedron #169)
Sand Wurm (Dragon #296)
Elemental Drake (Air)(Draconomicon) // if cold deserts are OK too, then also Elemental Drake (Ice)
If planar deserts are OK too, then Gloom Dragon (Dragon #344) and Evil Archdragons (Dragon #321) from the Gray Wastes of Hades

If 3rd-party is OK, then:
Dragonlance - Hatori, Tylor (Blue), Tylor (Brass)
Tome of Horrors - Salt Drake
Warcraft the RPG - Black Dragon (Deathwing's Dragonflight)