PDA

View Full Version : Can I get an opinion on these Dual-Wielding and Unarmed Strikes homebrews?

SangoProduction
2016-11-13, 07:16 PM
These aren't intended to make them powerful (or perhaps even competitive), but just a bit more usable and/or flexible.

For Unarmed Strike:
1) You may explicitly two-weapon-fight with them.
2) Monks are explicitly proficient with them.
3) There's a new item called Cloth Wrapping, which does nothing but allow unarmed strikes to be enchanted as though it were a weapon. Cloth Wrapping can also be made of various types of cloth from Linen to Silk, or even Leathers. These cost the same as Gauntlets, and can apply to all unarmed strikes.
4) Anyone with Improved Unarmed Strike feat may use two Cloth Wrappings as though wielding two weapons.

For Two Weapon Fighting:
1) A person with the Two Weapon Fighting feat may use the enchantments on one weapon for both/either weapons in a full attack. Meaning, if attacking with a +1 Short Sword and a Dagger (for whatever reason) using Two Weapon Fighting, they can both count as +1 for the purposes of Full Attacks. Or if one was acidic and the other was Flaming, then they can both be either enchantment.

This does not allow mixing/matching enchantments from both weapons. The +5 Acid Burst, Flaming, Frost, Ghost Touch, Short Sword wielded with a +1 Disruption Dagger, doesn't allow the first one to gain Disruption in addition to its original enchantments, but replacing the enchantments with +1 Disruption.

1.explanation) This is to sort of relieve the whole deal where TWFers have to buy two weapons, which can be rather expensive. While also offering the chance for versatility, if they do choose to do so. Perhaps to offer a little theoretical niche for them.

2) Attack penalty when "Off-hand weapon is light and Two-Weapon Fighting feat" is -1/-1, rather than -2/-2.

Darrin
2016-11-14, 08:46 AM
Looks good.

Are you keeping TWF as multiple feats or combining them?

SangoProduction
2016-11-14, 09:22 AM
Looks good.

Are you keeping TWF as multiple feats or combining them?

I hear it's a common thing to do on these forums. Dunno at this point.

Ualaa
2016-11-14, 02:06 PM
Do you still provoke, for an unarmed strike without Improved Unarmed Strike?

It seems the (new) system is trying to make unarmed combat a better option.
Unarmed combat is generally a poor choice, but removing that feat tax would make it a better option - or at least less of a poor option.

Troacctid
2016-11-14, 02:32 PM
If you want to make unarmed strikes usable without the feat, I suggest reducing their base damage to 1 and having the feat increase it to 1d4, like in 5e.

For Two-Weapon Fighting, you really need to be able to do it on a standard action attack for it to be viable.

apocryphaGnosis
2016-11-14, 04:33 PM
I guess there wasn't terribly much difference to begin with, but I feel like this basically makes "unarmed strikes" just like any other manufactured weapon, except with a special feat to go along with it.
Not necessarily a bad thing, probably an improvement actually.
I like it

MisterKaws
2016-11-14, 04:42 PM
1) You may explicitly two-weapon-fight with them.

That's CustServ's ruling on it, and one of the few CustServ rules that seems to be kinda universally accepted.

2) Monks are explicitly proficient with them.

Sounds pretty RAI-compliant to me.

3) There's a new item called Cloth Wrapping, which does nothing but allow unarmed strikes to be enchanted as though it were a weapon. Cloth Wrapping can also be made of various types of cloth from Linen to Silk, or even Leathers.

RAW-wise, Gauntlets can be used for that. I don't see a problem with allowing Gauntlet variants.

4) Anyone with Improved Unarmed Strike feat may use two Cloth Wrappings as though wielding two weapons.

Consistent with the other rules. Good.

For Two Weapon Fighting:
1) A person with the Two Weapon Fighting feat may use the enchantments on one weapon for both/either weapons in a full attack. Meaning, if attacking with a +1 Short Sword and a Dagger (for whatever reason) using Two Weapon Fighting, they can both count as +1 for the purposes of Full Attacks. Or if one was acidic and the other was Flaming, then they can both be either enchantment.

This does not allow mixing/matching enchantments from both weapons. The +5 Acid Burst, Flaming, Frost, Ghost Touch, Short Sword wielded with a +1 Disruption Dagger, doesn't allow the first one to gain Disruption in addition to its original enchantments, but replacing the enchantments with +1 Disruption.

1.explanation) This is to sort of relieve the whole deal where TWFers have to buy two weapons, which can be rather expensive. While also offering the chance for versatility, if they do choose to do so. Perhaps to offer a little theoretical niche for them.

2) Attack penalty when "Off-hand weapon is light and Two-Weapon Fighting feat" is -1/-1, rather than -2/-2.

Fair enough. Doesn't look like it'd create any major imbalance.

darkdragoon
2016-11-14, 08:39 PM
Wraps depend on cost really. Otherwise one might as well stick to scorpion Kama or try and parse bracers of striking and other 3.0 items.

I like the use either enhancement. The last doesn't really change much and has some weird interaction with a couple prcs.