PDA

View Full Version : TV Urban Fantasy/Magic based show?

druid91
2016-11-13, 07:17 PM
So, I've been trying to think of something to watch lately, and I was wondering if the folk on this forums could point me in the right directions. What I'm looking for is essentially an Urban Fantasy show, primarily based around magic users. I don't mind if there's a vampire/werewolf here or there, but I'd really rather the focus be on Wizard/Magician style nonsense.

I'm not particularly concerned about whether it's Animated or Live action.

Any suggestions?

Blackhawk748
2016-11-13, 07:26 PM
I guess the FATE series counts here. I mean the main characters are mages though they happen to be fighting each other with summoned spirits who typically sue a sword or other melee weapon. It can be fairly Shonen at times and it does get really dark, but its a great series no matter which one you watch.

Cen
2016-11-13, 08:07 PM
Maybe Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115288/)? not really much of mages, but pretty decent urban fantasy.
And it has Peter Capaldi and Neil Gaiman!

Keltest
2016-11-13, 08:12 PM
The Dresden Files was a short lived but fairly well done series based off of the book series of the same name. Main character is a wizard who works as a private investigator.

Prime32
2016-11-13, 09:14 PM
The Dresden Files was a short lived but fairly well done series based off of the book series of the same name. Main character is a wizard who works as a private investigator.Very different from the actual books, mind.

Keltest
2016-11-13, 09:17 PM
Very different from the actual books, mind.

Indeed, although I think they capture the general tone (of the earlier ones at least) fairly well, even if they aren't a proper adaptation.

BWR
2016-11-14, 02:03 AM
Constantine was pretty damn good.
A bit rough to start with and they murdered the character of Chas, but otherwise a mostly faithful adaptation of my favorite magician (he's a bit nicer in the show than in the comics, though).

random11
2016-11-14, 04:07 AM
The Magicians (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4254242/)

I'm not sure if it counts.
Technically it's in modern times, but the focus is mostly on the magic school which is disconnected from the "real world" with occasional trips required for the plot.

I'm also not sure if I would recommend it.
It can be fun and it has some nice ideas sometimes, but the mature content is sometimes forced.
The way the show is written made me feel like a fan fiction of Harry Potter when the author is trying WAY too hard to shove drugs and sex to Hogwarts just so he can prove how cool he is.

Also, The Librarians (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3663490/?ref_=nv_sr_1)

The protagonists are not wizards, but it is a magic-filled world.

Zalabim
2016-11-14, 04:35 AM
The Magicians (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4254242/)

I'm not sure if it counts.
Technically it's in modern times, but the focus is mostly on the magic school which is disconnected from the "real world" with occasional trips required for the plot.

I'm also not sure if I would recommend it.
It can be fun and it has some nice ideas sometimes, but the mature content is sometimes forced.
The way the show is written made me feel like a fan fiction of Harry Potter when the author is trying WAY too hard to shove drugs and sex to Hogwarts just so he can prove how cool he is.
It's entertaining like a train wreck. It seems to have a lot more take-thats aimed at Narnia. I get the impression it's trying to pretend HP doesn't exist at all. And it absolutely warrants an "immature use of mature content" warning. Horrible show. I really enjoyed it.

High contrast alternative. The Librarians is good, clean fun, if extremely campy at times.

Cespenar
2016-11-18, 07:35 AM
If Napoleonic Era is "Urban" enough for you, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is a high-quality mini-series which is 8 episodes or so. It's pretty good.

Fishybugs
2016-11-23, 04:29 PM

Along these lines, Warehouse 13 was pretty good. Mostly.

Gurston
2016-12-09, 01:12 PM
It is getting a long way from the origional request, but Fringe is good (it is Sci-Fi\Extreme science instead of magic)

Palanan
2016-12-09, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by random11
The way [Magicians] is written made me feel like a fan fiction of Harry Potter when the author is trying WAY too hard to shove drugs and sex to Hogwarts just so he can prove how cool he is.

Originally Posted by Zalabim
It seems to have a lot more take-thats aimed at Narnia…. And it absolutely warrants an "immature use of mature content" warning.

I thought about mentioning Magicians when I first saw this thread, but decided not to, for these reasons and many more.

I've watched the first season and don't plan to watch any more. The show's concept is a rather forced mashup of Harry Potter and Narnia, with some bitter and venomous gibes at the latter.

Instead of Hogwarts, a quasi-parallel wizarding school for tweens and teens, we have Brakebills, a quasi-parallel wizarding school for college-age students. There's way too much emphasis on empty sex and alcohol, and as noted above, the author is doing his damnedest to impress you with just how hip and daring he is. (I won't tell you what some of the students are doing with the talking animals in the magical otherland.)

Beyond this, much of the first season sagged and dragged along, opening with a vaguely compelling plot which quickly mushified into strange and often boring digressions. The secondary characters range from trite to odious, and the ostensible main character is such a passive milquetoast it's hard to care in the slightest about him. (It says something that I thought about the secondary characters before I remembered the main one.) Halfway through the season the show became so tedious that I was forcing myself to watch it, and the season-ending cliffhanger finally convinced me to quit.

So, I would skip this one entirely. Not worth the time.

Originally Posted by Cespenar
If Napoleonic Era is "Urban" enough for you, Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell is a high-quality mini-series which is 8 episodes or so.

This has been on my "look into it further" list for a while now, and I'm glad to hear it's as good as it looks. Definitely on my short list now.