PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Skyrim Dragonborn?

Xaroth
2016-11-13, 07:59 PM
I'm making a character, and I've figured that it might be pretty great to play the closest thing to a Dragonborn. However, I don't have a whole lot of experience with creating characters from games.

Any tips? Or things I could refer to? We're all playing Pathfinder but I've been told that 3.5e things would be negotiable with the DM.

MisterKaws
2016-11-13, 08:05 PM
Just the regular Stalwart Battle Sorcerer with Draconic Heritage.

Xaroth
2016-11-13, 08:11 PM
Just the regular Stalwart Battle Sorcerer with Draconic Heritage.

Even for emulating the dragon shouts?

KillianHawkeye
2016-11-13, 08:20 PM
Can you be more specific? Characters in Skyrim can be developed in many different ways. You can be a warrior, an archer, a sneaky thief/assassin, a mage, or more frequently some combination of those. These things are normally handled in D&D (and in prior iterations of The Elder Scrolls series) with character classes, but which ones you choose are up to you.

The only really unique ability the Dragonborn has is the dragon shouts (and the part where he absorbs the souls of dragons to power up), but there's a lot of different effects and some are really unrelated to each other, so there isn't really any obvious way to go about emulating that. You probably want to use magic, as suggested by the person above me, but there are still a lot of different ways you could take it.

Which shouts do you feel are the most important abilities for your character to get? Is there some other skill or ability which you consider to be iconic for the Dragonborn to possess? How accurate to the source material do you need your character to be? These are all things you should consider.

Xaroth
2016-11-13, 08:28 PM
Can you be more specific? Characters in Skyrim can be developed in many different ways. You can be a warrior, an archer, a sneaky thief/assassin, a mage, or more frequently some combination of those. These things are normally handled in D&D (and in prior iterations of The Elder Scrolls series) with character classes, but which ones you choose are up to you.

The only really unique ability the Dragonborn has is the dragon shouts (and the part where he absorbs the souls of dragons to power up), but there's a lot of different effects and some are really unrelated to each other, so there isn't really any obvious way to go about emulating that. You probably want to use magic, as suggested by the person above me, but there are still a lot of different ways you could take it.

Which shouts do you feel are the most important abilities for your character to get? Is there some other skill or ability which you consider to be iconic for the Dragonborn to possess? How accurate to the source material do you need your character to be? These are all things you should consider.

This character is going to be a mage, more often than anything else. However, it is the dragon shouts in specific that I'm asking about. In particular, the iconic Fus Ro Dah is what I'm wanting to use moreso than anything else.

As accurate as possible would be appreciated, though it's likely things can be fluffed.

Mehangel
2016-11-13, 08:43 PM
I would ask the GM if he would allow your character to use Spheres of Power (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/).

You dont even have to be a caster, you could be a Martial character such as a barbarian or fighter and spend your feats on Basic Magical Training and Advanced Magical Training. Any Time you want to learn a new "shout" you can spend a feat and take Extra Magical Talent.

Animal Allegiance = Nature sphere + Animal Friend
Aura Whisper = Divination sphere + Life sphere
Battle Fury = Time sphere + Group Time
Become Ethereal = Time sphere + Eject
Bend Will = Mind sphere
Call Dragon = Conjuration sphere + Draconic Creature
Call of Valor = Conjuration sphere + Battle Creature
Clear Skies = Weather sphere
Cyclone = Destruction sphere + Air Blast
Disarm = Telekinesis sphere + Steal
Dismay = Mind sphere + Fear
Dragon Aspect = Alteration sphere + Dragon Transformation (using blank form)
Drain Vitality = Death sphere + Drain /or/ Destruction sphere + Mana Siphon
Elemental Fury = Time sphere
Fire Breath = Destruction sphere + Fire Blast /or/ Alteration sphere + Dragon Transformation
Frost Breath = Destruction sphere + Frost Blast /or/ Alteration sphere + Dragon Transformation
Ice Form = Destruction sphere + Crystal Blast /or/ Nature sphere (water geomancing) + Create Water (using Freeze)
Kynes Peace = Mind sphere + Group Charm /or/ Nature sphere + Animal Friend
Marked for Death = Fate sphere + Greater Serendipity
Soul Tear = Death sphere
Slow Time = Time sphere + Time Freeze
Storm Call = Weather sphere
Summon Durnehviir = Conjuration sphere + Summoning [Advanced Talent]
Throw Voice = Mind sphere + Project Thoughts
Unrelenting Force = Destruction sphere + Force Blast
Whirlwind Sprint = Destruction sphere + Energy Leap

Xaroth
2016-11-13, 08:50 PM
I would ask the GM if he would allow your character to use Spheres of Power (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/).

You dont even have to be a caster, you could be a Martial character such as a barbarian or fighter and spend your feats on Basic Magical Training and Advanced Magical Training. Any Time you want to learn a new "shout" you can spend a feat and take Extra Magical Talent.

Animal Allegiance = Nature sphere + Animal Friend
Aura Whisper = Divination sphere + Life sphere
Battle Fury = Time sphere + Group Time
Become Ethereal = Time sphere + Eject
Bend Will = Mind sphere
Call Dragon = Conjuration sphere + Draconic Creature
Call of Valor = Conjuration sphere + Battle Creature
Clear Skies = Weather sphere
Cyclone = Destruction sphere + Air Blast
Disarm = Telekinesis sphere + Steal
Dismay = Mind sphere + Fear
Dragon Aspect = Alteration sphere + Dragon Transformation (using blank form)
Drain Vitality = Death sphere + Drain /or/ Destruction sphere + Mana Siphon
Elemental Fury = Time sphere
Fire Breath = Destruction sphere + Fire Blast /or/ Alteration sphere + Dragon Transformation
Frost Breath = Destruction sphere + Frost Blast /or/ Alteration sphere + Dragon Transformation
Ice Form = Destruction sphere + Crystal Blast /or/ Nature sphere (water geomancing) + Create Water (using Freeze)
Kynes Peace = Mind sphere + Group Charm /or/ Nature sphere + Animal Friend
Marked for Death = Fate sphere + Greater Serendipity
Soul Tear = Death sphere
Slow Time = Time sphere + Time Freeze
Storm Call = Weather sphere
Summon Durnehviir = Conjuration sphere + Summoning [Advanced Talent]
Throw Voice = Mind sphere + Project Thoughts
Unrelenting Force = Destruction sphere + Force Blast
Whirlwind Sprint = Destruction sphere + Energy Leap

This is awesome! Thank you!

Barlen
2016-11-13, 09:15 PM
If the spheres of power doesn't fly then a simpler way to emulate fus-rho-dah would be forcewave from spell compendium. It does a AoE bullrush (with +10 to bullrush attempt) in a 10'burst. It is a 4th level evocation spell.

Sliver
2016-11-14, 04:31 AM
Dragonfire Adept has Scalding Breath as a least invocation, which creates a gust of wind with fire damage. You always have a fire breath, and frost breath is an option at level 2. Other invocations also give shout-like effects.

Xerlith
2016-11-14, 10:12 AM
Cmon, really? :smallbiggrin: Dracolexi, from RotD, is based around discovering and using the draconic Words of Power.

Mehangel
2016-11-14, 11:34 AM
Cmon, really? :smallbiggrin: Dracolexi, from RotD, is based around discovering and using the draconic Words of Power.

My main problem with the Dracolexi is that because it is a prestige class, it isn't available at level 1. Spheres of Power however, allows you emulate not only dragon shouts, but also Skyrim Magic at 1st level.

Geddy2112
2016-11-14, 11:38 AM
A draconic bloodline sorcerer is pretty good. Your shouts will be various spells-draconic is the language of magic in D&D/Pathfinder after all, and almost all spells have verbal components.

If you can gestalt, I would mix the scaled fist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/scaled-fist-monk-archetype) monk archtype in there. It uses CHA instead of WIS for monk things, and it gets the dragon style feats(including dragon roar) in class as bonus feats. I imagine the greybeards would all be this kind of monk.

And of course,draconic disciple prestige class.

Gruftzwerg
2016-11-14, 11:41 AM
I second Sorcerer with Draconic Heritage.

build into a Swiftblade imho. Most of the time in Skyrim you (or at least i think most people) play some sort of gish build. Add the matrix slow-motion effect (one of the dragon shouts) and you have a good reason to build into SB. SB gets a special version of Haste that includes a timestop.

edit: maybe a few lvls Dracolexi for the flavor^^

Flickerdart
2016-11-14, 11:44 AM
My main problem with the Dracolexi is that because it is a prestige class, it isn't available at level 1.
The Dragonborn cannot shout at level 1 either.

Mehangel
2016-11-14, 12:19 PM
The Dragonborn cannot shout at level 1 either.

Are you sure? I seem to recall playing Skyrim and choosing to never actually level up, but still ended up learning all the shouts.

Stealth Marmot
2016-11-14, 01:10 PM
Are you sure? I seem to recall playing Skyrim and choosing to never actually level up, but still ended up learning all the shouts. Technically you COULD shout at level 1 if you found the shouts AND killed the dragon without leveling your skills enough, but you would have to try EXTRA hard to do that.

You sure that you aren't thinking of Oblivion?

Mehangel
2016-11-14, 01:43 PM
Technically you COULD shout at level 1 if you found the shouts AND killed the dragon without leveling your skills enough, but you would have to try EXTRA hard to do that.

You sure that you aren't thinking of Oblivion?

Never played Oblivion.

Flickerdart
2016-11-14, 02:17 PM
Are you sure? I seem to recall playing Skyrim and choosing to never actually level up, but still ended up learning all the shouts.

Yes, technically it's possible to acquire shouts while still being level one, but you do not acquire shouts at level one.

Caelestion
2018-03-31, 10:41 AM
The warlock invocation Repelling Blast should be a good imitation of Unrelenting Force.

Zombulian
2018-03-31, 04:19 PM
The warlock invocation Repelling Blast should be a good imitation of Unrelenting Force.

Shoo shoo stinky necromancer

Caelestion
2018-03-31, 05:09 PM
Oh, my apologies - I didn't realise that this wasn't a current thread. (It is at least on-topic.)