PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Dragons of Oerth

Nifft
2016-11-13, 10:19 PM
Is there a list of the sorts of dragons found across Oerth?

Is there a list of specific, named dragons found in Greyhawk books & modules?

Thanks, -N

Corsair14
2016-11-14, 08:44 AM
The dragons on Oerth are the same metallic and chromatic dragons found elsewhere along with the various pseudo-dragons and drakes. You also have shadow dragons(the real ones that are the race and are born that way, not the stupid slept too long in another plane shadow dragons in the newest MM) and you have Greyhawk Dragons which spend a huge amount of time shape shifted into humans and living in cities, Fog dragons and mist dragons.

Oerth being the grittier stereotypical generic fantasy world has it all.

As for named dragons, I do not know of any off hand.

Khedrac
2016-11-14, 04:12 PM
Hmm, the only named one I can think off off-hand is Dragotha - the undead dragon.
I think the lore is that he was an ancient red dragon consort of Tiamat who fell out of favour...

In the novel 'Nightwatch' Mordenkainen rides a mist dragon, but it is not named.

In the 2nd Edition adventure WGR1 Greyhawk Ruins there is a huge gold dragon raised by Zagyg at the bottom of one of the towers (so big part of the adventure is inside it) but again, I don't think it is named.

Kelb_Panthera
2016-11-14, 08:01 PM
Only named dragon that comes to my mind that I -think- is associated with Oerth is Ashardalon. And he's dead.

LibraryOgre
2016-11-14, 08:28 PM
Greyhawk Dragons make wonderful deterrents to PC shenanigans.

"I start a barfight."
"The bartender breathes. Make a save v. poison."

Khedrac
2016-11-15, 07:21 AM
Greyhawk Dragons make wonderful deterrents to PC shenanigans.

"I start a barfight."
"The bartender breathes. Make a save v. poison."
Yes - after posting I remembered that there are thought to be at least 4 Greyhawk dragons in Greyhawk city (2nd Ed, very similar to Faerun's Steel Dragons). None named.

I think one of the points is that most Oerth dragons didn't actually get names. Hmm.

LibraryOgre
2016-11-15, 11:18 AM
Yes - after posting I remembered that there are thought to be at least 4 Greyhawk dragons in Greyhawk city (2nd Ed, very similar to Faerun's Steel Dragons). None named.

I think one of the points is that most Oerth dragons didn't actually get names. Hmm.

In FR, the "Steel Dragons" are even frequently called "Waterdeep Dragons."

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/enhanced/webdr03/2013/7/30/15/enhanced-buzz-22809-1375211724-29.jpg

:biggrin: