PDA

View Full Version : Need help for for buying D&D stuff as a complete noob

hub
2016-11-14, 06:53 AM
Hi All,

I have never played D&D my self but my partner does twice a week.
Now I want to buy her a "complete set" (if this even exists?) for Christmas a little something extra as its her main hobby at the moment.
I know what the game is about and what she does (when she tells me :P) but thats where my knowledge ends really.

Now my question is what would you recommend I buy her as I really don't want to screw this one up ..

Is there a complete set? Saw there was a starter edition but not a "intermediate" or something?
I only saw the Starter edition that was 24 dollar's on Amazon which doesn't seem right?

Thanks in advance for the help and apologies if this sounds really confusing (thats exactly how I feel at the moment after spending 2 hours browsing websites & Amazon..).

Hub

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-14, 08:43 AM
Hello, thoughtful person!

The thing (one of many things, I guess) with D&D is that there are several different editions of the game, so you can't really buy anything without knowing which your partner is playing (or plans to play in the future). Another thing is that there isn't a lot that you have to buy to play the game. There are rulebooks, but she's probably already got what she needs in that regard. There are supplements, which are optional (and would be subject to knowing what edition we're talking about) and accessories (like gaming mats, miniatures, etc.) that are nice to have but often supplied by the DM (the person who organises and runs the game). I'd guess most of the things you're seeing on Amazon are probably adventure modules (e.g. Princes of the Apocalypse, Out of the Abyss, Storm King's Thunder), which only DMs need to buy (and even then, don't have to).

The only thing you can be certain that everyone needs is dice. Fancy dice are always nice gifts!

hub
2016-11-14, 08:56 AM
Hello, thoughtful person!

The thing (one of many things, I guess) with D&D is that there are several different editions of the game, so you can't really buy anything without knowing which your partner is playing (or plans to play in the future). Another thing is that there isn't a lot that you have to buy to play the game. There are rulebooks, but she's probably already got what she needs in that regard. There are supplements, which are optional (and would be subject to knowing what edition we're talking about) and accessories (like gaming mats, miniatures, etc.) that are nice to have but often supplied by the DM (the person who organises and runs the game). I'd guess most of the things you're seeing on Amazon are probably adventure modules (e.g. Princes of the Apocalypse, Out of the Abyss, Storm King's Thunder), which only DMs need to buy (and even then, don't have to).

The only thing you can be certain that everyone needs is dice. Fancy dice are always nice gifts!

Dice it is then! Seeing I have no idea about all the other stuff and asking her would kinda ruin the surprise :).

Thanks a lot for the quick reply :).

Peelee
2016-11-14, 09:05 AM
5th edition, as had been said, is current. Which also means it's expensive. 3.5 was a very popular edition, and books can be gotten for cheaper (though there are WAY too many books for you to get them all, unless money is no object). Pathfinder is considered it's spiritual successor, but it is also quite pricy.

One frugal option is to find gaming groups where you live, get in a game with one, and borrow one of theirs while you play. Not all people are amenable to this, of course.

Also, the 5th ed starter set was released before 5th ed was released as a whole. It is a pre-made adventure module, pre-made characters, and just enough of the revised rules to get you playing. I would recommend against getting it, unless you can find out for under ten dollars. It's not bad at all, it's just not really worth that much when the official books are for sale (unless you don't know if you would enjoy D&D, in which case buying the starter set is like test-driving a car).

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-14, 09:14 AM
One frugal option is to find gaming groups where you live, get in a game with one, and borrow one of theirs while you play.

Difficult to wrap this option up and put it under a tree! :smalltongue:

And yeah, I agree that the starter set is not what's needed here. I never noticed before how strange it would sound to a newcomer that there is a 'starter set' but no other pre-packaged sets...

hub
2016-11-14, 09:36 AM

And yeah, I agree that the starter set is not what's needed here. I never noticed before how strange it would sound to a newcomer that there is a 'starter set' but no other pre-packaged sets...

Welcome to my world :P I think I will follow your good advice and order some dice.
Decided to go with artisandice.com/order/optically-clear-acrylic-phthalo/ as she likes the translucent ones and her favorite color is blue :).

Peelee
2016-11-14, 10:10 AM
This'll teach me to fully read and not skim.

Welcome to my world :P I think I will follow your good advice and order some dice.
Decided to go with artisandice.com/order/optically-clear-acrylic-phthalo/ as she likes the translucent ones and her favorite color is blue :).

Out of curiosity, do you know what all books she has? Also, does she have any interest in running a game, rather than just playing in them?

hub
2016-11-14, 10:16 AM
This'll teach me to fully read and not skim.

Out of curiosity, do you know what all books she has? Also, does she have any interest in running a game, rather than just playing in them?

She has no books at the moment as she borrows most from the group she plays with and she doesn't have any interest (at the moment) to run the game but enjoys it enough to have 2 set nights a week playing :)

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-14, 10:27 AM
She has no books at the moment as she borrows most from the group she plays with and she doesn't have any interest (at the moment) to run the game but enjoys it enough to have 2 set nights a week playing :)

Then see if you can figure out what edition she's playing. I appreciate that you don't want to give the game away, but the 5th edition core books (the only ones I own, so I can't speak to the others) have some very nice artwork that I'd say justifies their price even if you never use them.

hub
2016-11-14, 10:32 AM
Then see if you can figure out what edition she's playing. I appreciate that you don't want to give the game away, but the 5th edition core books (the only ones I own, so I can't speak to the others) have some very nice artwork that I'd say justifies their price even if you never use them.

Shes playing "5e" which took me a while to figure out :P.
I will have a look at the books as well!

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-14, 10:46 AM

Cool. By 'core' books, I mean the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual and Dungeon Master's Guide. The first is by far the most important but, if you've got the money, the full set might be a nicer gift.

Peelee
2016-11-14, 10:48 AM
Yeah, what Ninja Prawn said. There are other 5th ed books out, but those are campaign settings and adventure modules, and only useful if she plans on running a game herself, which it sounds like she (at least, at the moment) is content without. The core set would make a fine present.

Or really nice dice, if you have sticker shock.

Oh, the other books also have great artwork (and the covers just feel wonderful, especially compared to older editions). Just, ya know, less useful, if she doesn't DM. Still good though; one of my friends is running us through Rise of Tiamat right now, and it's pretty awesome.

hub
2016-11-14, 10:53 AM
Thanks A LOT for the help you 2 :).
I just ordered her dice that I think she will like and will look into the books you mentioned as well, its a Christmas gift after all so might as well go all out, haha.

Again thanks a lot, you made my really confusing morning a whole lot easier :)!

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-14, 10:59 AM
I just ordered her dice that I think she will like and will look into the books you mentioned as well, its a Christmas gift after all so might as well go all out, haha.

Anytime, darlin'!

Eldan
2016-11-14, 12:09 PM

You can't ask her, but have you considered stealthily asking someone she plays with? Preferably the person hosting the round.

Peelee
2016-11-14, 12:34 PM

No worries! That's a nice dice set. And what would make it even nicer and more topical than to put them in a treasure chest (http://www.miniaturemarket.com/togdce101bx.html)? I just found this, that you may be interested in. Probably gonna buy one for my wife as well. The included dice are all d6 and unless she plays a blasty mage, not really better than what you've found, but the empty chest is out of stock, apparently.

Plus, she'll look badass when she pulls her dice out at the gaming table.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-14, 12:42 PM
Plus, she'll look badass when she pulls her dice out at the gaming table.

You know what's really badass? Full metal dice (http://norsefoundry.com). Nothing scares players like a 45mm solid steel d20!

Peelee
2016-11-14, 12:58 PM
You know what's really badass? Full metal dice (http://norsefoundry.com). Nothing scares players like a 45mm solid steel d20!

Oh, tell me about it. I got a kcikstarter way back when on the first metal dice I could find. Non rounded edges, so the d4 in particular is practically a weapon unto itself. Full-sized, too, so everyone knows when you set the bag down. When I throw the chromed d20 of death, I'm needin' a good roll.

Stan
2016-11-14, 09:09 PM

The 5e books are weird in that they don't have 5e printed on them in an obvious way. To be clear, the main book for players is this. (https://www.amazon.com/Players-Handbook-Dungeons-Dragons-Wizards/dp/0786965606/ref=pd_lpo_21_bs_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=BCGQE08K6RRSF9WZTFSG)

That and cool dice are plenty for a player, though the monster manual and dungeon masters guide are nice too.

Ceaon
2016-11-23, 01:18 PM
Just popping in to say: hub, you are a very cool hubby. Ask anything if something seems unclear!

JeenLeen
2016-11-23, 01:39 PM

Such might be a bad gift, though, as some DMs don't like dice that can scratch their table. My DM forbade one of our players from using his metal dice since they might gouge the wood.

I admit they are cool.

Ninja_Prawn
2016-11-23, 02:14 PM
Such might be a bad gift, though, as some DMs don't like dice that can scratch their table. My DM forbade one of our players from using his metal dice since they might gouge the wood.

Bah, that can be overcome. A dice tray or thick tablecloth comes to mind.

Scarlet Knight
2016-11-23, 08:59 PM
Ask your partner about her character. She'll love to talk about her. Pay attention; clothes, hair, weapons, class. Then, before next Christmas (leave plenty of time) go to a site that sells miniatures (ie Reaper). Pick out one that matches and paint her a personal figurine.

Until next year...practice.

2D8HP
2016-11-23, 10:22 PM
the 5th edition core books (the only ones I own, so I can't speak to the others) have some very nice artwork that I'd say justifies their price even if you never use them.For me the 5e Players Handbook, and Dungeon Masters Guide are worth the price just for their bibliographies (I just love lists of good books)!