PDA

View Full Version : Rifts

Jimp
2007-07-13, 04:14 PM
After reading about the Rifts game I'm considering buying some of the books. Before I do though, I'd like some views from those who have played it. So, opinions anyone?

horseboy
2007-07-13, 04:22 PM
After reading about the Rifts game I'm considering buying some of the books. Before I do though, I'd like some views from those who have played it. So, opinions anyone?

Rifts doesn't suffer from "Codex Creap" it suffers from "Codex get the hell up and run a mile a minute away." If you decide to play, limit your characters to the classes in the Core book only, otherwise you're going to loose the main focus.
The mechanics are close enough to 3.x that your players shouldn't have too much trouble learning it.

Oh, an Wykin rules! I know, I lived there.

Starsinger
2007-07-13, 04:23 PM
I love Rifts, having played it when I was a youth. However, it's a bit complicated as is, combat wise, but simplifying it via house rules makes it less of a headache.

In Rifts, there is no large attempt at balance, if everyone is having fun, it doesn't matter if one character is a godling and another is a peasant, with a pitch fork.

I think Rifts is great, although there's less growth for some character types than others. For example, "fighter" type classes tend to only grow by their gear, and a bit of skill increases per level. Whereas, some psychic/magic classes grow in a more traditional, power by level format.

talsine
2007-07-13, 05:16 PM
The Ultimate Editon and GM's Guide fixed a lot of the combat issues, making some of the gross classes not as gross. Every world book made after book 1 (vampire kingsdoms) and before Federation of MAgic (13 or 14 i believe) is broken. Especialy South America.

To be honest, Rifts has some great setting materials, i've rarely heard people complain out that part, but the mechanics are terrible. Its worth looking at, and i buy a book now and again because it was my first game system and i still enjoy the metaplot, but its not playable.

MrNexx
2007-07-13, 06:02 PM
Rifts has, as people say, great setting materials. The system can be a bit obscure in all it's detail, but it's fairly simple at its core... combat is opposed d20 rolls, and skills are roll-under percentile. The alignment system is very simple, and a lot easier to adjudicate (or simply ignore) than D&D's.

As others have said, there's no attempt to balance the classes or races within the game; it's assumed that if the GM wants a balanced game, he'll tell the players what they can play (and the best games I've been in have had limits on PC selection; "Only Coalition characters" or "All True Atlanteans"), rather than trying for an artificial balance.

The real trap with Rifts is allowing everything, and ignoring common sense. A couple combinations from different world books will lead to severe silliness, but preventing that is pretty easy.

Nogard
2007-07-13, 06:05 PM
To be honest, Rifts has some great setting materials, i've rarely heard people complain out that part, but the mechanics are terrible.

That pretty much sums it up... its fun to read, but pointless to play.

Diggorian
2007-07-13, 06:06 PM
Rifts. Where else can horribly min-maxed team of interdimensional/trans-genre/mega-damage dealing bounty hunters conquer Australia, New Zealand, and Micronesia. We were the Green Leafy Vegetables.

As a GM that started in that system, and is unaware of what's become, I'd still recommend buying maybe just the main book then translating the fluff to D20.

You have to run a high powered game cause I dont think they know how to make medium or lower challenge monsters (unless their vampires, a water pistol can do them in; not even holy water but that helps :smalltongue: )

Jimp
2007-07-13, 06:19 PM
Would it be worth it to get some of the setting books just for the fluff of space rifts and invasions and such for use in another game?

Diggorian
2007-07-13, 06:29 PM
Hard for me to judge. I can take fluff from any sci-fi I see and add to a games setting.

Hell Puppi
2007-07-13, 07:43 PM
I love Rifts, but they are right, it's horrible to try and play, especially if you have a gaming group like mine who all want to be something different. We had a Dragon Juicer ina party with a just hatched dragon, a zombie, a loup-garou (me, I'm a pain) , a psi-mage and a dog boy.
That and the tables...oh god the tables....
Roll for damage...now roll on this table to see what it's done. Roll on the table that shows if theres any adverse mental effects..... *shudder*

That being said, Rifts can be fun, but it seems to go more smoothly if you take the time to convert the rules a bit. And also to make sure your party knows what it's doing in that big 'ol world.

kjones
2007-07-13, 10:40 PM
It is very important to note that the classes are not balanced. Set aside a day just for rolling up characters together, so you can make sure that they remain at comparable caster levels.

I have played in two Rifts games. In the first, I played a Burster who was useless compared to the Glitterboy in the group. In the latter, we all played different Coalition soldiers; thus, it was much more fun.

I really love Juicers; if you're looking for a good adventure for anyone (but especially Juicers), check out the Juicer Uprising book. Good stuff.

Alex Knight
2007-07-13, 11:06 PM
Personally, I converted the setting over to GURPS, and did away with MDC.

kjones
2007-07-13, 11:09 PM
Why do they even bother with S. D. C. rules? If you don't have an M. D. C. weapon in that game, you might as well just jump off a bridge. It's bringing a knife to a gunfight, sometimes literally.

Swordguy
2007-07-13, 11:39 PM
Why do they even bother with S. D. C. rules? If you don't have an M. D. C. weapon in that game, you might as well just jump off a bridge. It's bringing a knife to a gunfight, sometimes literally.

Because sometimes, despite your best efforts, you're out of your power armor/Mecha/etc.

-Cor-
2007-07-13, 11:42 PM
Ahh... Rifts. As a lot of people have already said: fun to read, hard to play.

I'll second the limiting your world view perspective of Rifts. Allow in more than 2 books and you're just asking for trouble. I'd suggest sticking close to Chi-town and the core at first.

Alex Knight
2007-07-13, 11:45 PM
Because sometimes, despite your best efforts, you're out of your power armor/Mecha/etc.

And then the M.D.C. forest critters turn you into hamburger. I stopped even thinking about M.D.C. when I saw that a handheld rifle did more damage than the 18" guns on the USS Iowa.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-07-14, 09:21 AM
Ah, Rifts...

havent played it in 15 years, but it makes an indelible impression.

I still remember playing a "Rogue Scholar" with close to no armor and a pitiful hold-out pistol, managing to avoid getting plastered by the Coalition... My character somehow managed to live longer than the Glitter Boy and the were-panther in the party...

Still, for the following campaign, since everybody was playing even-more-super-powered characters I caved in and rolled up an Atlantean Cyberknight with magic tatoos...

Semi off topic: What's up with Siembieda and White Wolf both deciding that my country (Mexico) is overrun with evil vampires?? Did you guys have a bad experience in Tijuana or something?

Rob Knotts
2007-07-14, 09:46 AM
If you're really interested in Rifts, the books I'd most recommend, aside from the main rulebook (any edition): Juicer Uprising, Rifts Japan, Pantheons of the Megaverse, and d20 Modern:smallbiggrin:

Rob Knotts
2007-07-14, 09:54 AM
Semi off topic: What's up with Siembieda and White Wolf both deciding that my country (Mexico) is overrun with evil vampires?? Did you guys have a bad experience in Tijuana or something?As far as Rifts goes, my guess would be the El Santo movies (or dubbed english versions of them), although if that's the case Siembieda really dropped the ball by not also including psuedo-mystical MDC Luchadores as a character class. They'd be at least as much fun to play as a dragon or a Glitter Boy.

Edit: Come to think of it, cinematic mexican wrestlers could easily fit into a World of Darkness game (or at least a human-based "hunters" game). Might really annoy gothic fans, though...

Jayabalard
2007-07-14, 10:45 AM
Semi off topic: What's up with Siembieda and White Wolf both deciding that my country (Mexico) is overrun with evil vampires?? Did you guys have a bad experience in Tijuana or something?iirc, you have real vampire bats in mexico/central america, in addition to Chupacabra....there's even a scooby doo in mexico featuring a vampire.

MrNexx
2007-07-14, 11:04 AM
I'm really not getting all the people saying that Rifts is hard to play. The rules are pretty straightforward for most situations.

Rob Knotts
2007-07-14, 11:12 AM
The rules are pretty straightforward for most situations.Rules? :smallconfused:

The Valiant Turtle
2007-07-14, 11:20 AM
if that's the case Siembieda really dropped the ball by not also including psuedo-mystical MDC Luchadores as a character class. They'd be at least as much fun to play as a dragon or a Glitter Boy.

Edit: Come to think of it, cinematic mexican wrestlers could easily fit into a World of Darkness game (or at least a human-based "hunters" game). Might really annoy gothic fans, though...

That would be absolutely hysterical, and I know a certain Llama who would be all over that.

I don't think Rifts is hard to play, it's just among the worst balanced games ever invented, but balance is sometimes over-rated, and Rifts can be a hell of a lot of fun. I'd love to see the world setting converted to D20 Modern.

One of the most famous lines in our gaming group comes from a Rifts game long, long ago. I was a Telekinetics focused Mind Melter and had telekinetically picked up one of those giant interdimensional bug things and another one was attacking me. I didn't have anything to parry with, so the DM let me parry with one I had picked up, thus inventing the term "bug parry".

...it was alot funnier in the game, I promise.

Ssiauhll
2007-07-14, 01:47 PM
RIFTS is a terrible system. It is slow, it is tedious, and broken as all hell. There is no attempt at balance. None. It simply doesn't exist. It is made worse by the fact that there is mad crazy power creep, or power running, maybe power sprinting.

The skill system sucks. Again the skill system sucks. I have never seen a worse one ever. Don't play a skill based character as you can not progress at all.

The palladium system should have been junked years ago but for some reason it remains unchanged and thats not a good thing. RIFTS is what happens when you have a guy who thinks he is awesome but never pauses to edit, or think, or listen to reason, or even give credit where credit is due.

As far as buying the books, I wouldn't recommend buying them. They are badly written, and unless you love the system because you have a MOM implant you won't find much to use.

That said it can be a crazy fun experience. The setting has all sorts of crazy weird stuff just thrown in at random. Some things are just plain stupid, some things don't make since, and some times that ok. In some ways it is the ultimate cross over game, but is makes about as much since. And you have to have a good, fair GM or you will want to just walk away in frustration.

2007-07-14, 01:57 PM
I love that Rifts dosn't have class balance.

Because lets face it, a guy in a giant glittering suit of armor with a half-ton rail cannon on his shoulder is going to do more damage than the guy on 'roids.

Its a system I grew up with and colored the way I play all RPGs, where the rules aren't as important as the game. Back in the big days of Palladium and AD&D, the rules were very detailed for a few things, and then empty on everything else. That led to more imaginative gameplay, and no one complained that wizards were more powerful than fighters, because it was assumed they would be.

The new generation of RPGs seems to focus way to much on the rules, meaning that when people look at old systems like Rifts, they can't see how anyone ever managed. It was simple, we just ignored the rules we didn't like, and had fun playing a game where people could blow up buildings with their minds.

Jayabalard
2007-07-14, 02:19 PM
There is no attempt at balance. None. It simply doesn't exist. You say that like it's a bad thing.

Rob Knotts
2007-07-14, 03:03 PM
In all seriousness, it's my opinion that the rules for Rifts are so superfluous to the setting that if the books contained nothing but fluff text, no game mechanics of any kind, Rifts would literally be just as playable as a stand-alone game. The setting is just so wacky* it really defies any mechanics more complicated than FUDGE:smallwink:

*It's probably been 20 years since I last used the word "wacky", but no other term seemed as appropriate.

Ssiauhll
2007-07-14, 05:10 PM
Having classes that suck completely means that as a player you end up doing a whole bunch of nothing.

Amphimir Míriel
2007-07-14, 05:21 PM
As far as Rifts goes, my guess would be the El Santo movies (or dubbed english versions of them), although if that's the case Siembieda really dropped the ball by not also including psuedo-mystical MDC Luchadores as a character class. They'd be at least as much fun to play as a dragon or a Glitter Boy.

Ah! El Santo contra las Mujeres Vampiro (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055408/)... thanks, that was the link I was missing...

But you are absolutely right, if Siembieda was thinking of early 60's Mexican B films, why skip the wrestlers? I am sure you could add a brotherhood of mystical unarmed fighters that get superhuman physical strenght and endurance from their totemic masks...

Hell Puppi
2007-07-14, 05:37 PM

Heh actually the loup garou char I played was considered an SDC creature, but I could deal MDC damage.
Why would I play somthing like that? Because the loup garou is COMPLETLY IMMUNE to anything but silver weapons.
That's right.
Glitter Boy cannon to the face- 0 damage.
Spells- 0 damage
Chainsaw- 0 damage
BUT RUN HE'S GOT A SILVER KNIFE!!!!

...our gm didn't look too close at the char I made.:smallbiggrin:

Rob Knotts
2007-07-14, 05:42 PM
I am sure you could add a brotherhood of mystical unarmed fighters that get superhuman physical strenght and endurance from their totemic masks...Man, it's just soundin' better and better!:smallbiggrin:

MrNexx
2007-07-14, 11:08 PM
RIFTS is a terrible system. It is slow, it is tedious, and broken as all hell. There is no attempt at balance. None. It simply doesn't exist. It is made worse by the fact that there is mad crazy power creep, or power running, maybe power sprinting.

I won't try to defend Rifts against the charge of being slow; unless everyone is on their A game, the combats do take a while to resolve... though, to be fair, so can 3.5. As for power creep, I'm seeing a bit of a correction in recent years.

The skill system sucks. Again the skill system sucks. I have never seen a worse one ever. Don't play a skill based character as you can not progress at all.

Personally, I like roll-under systems far more than roll-high systems.

As far as buying the books, I wouldn't recommend buying them. They are badly written, and unless you love the system because you have a MOM implant you won't find much to use.

Interesting take on things. So the only way someone can like it is if they're crazy?

Oh, and have I introduced myself? My name is Mark Hall, and I write for Palladium. Would you care to explain how the books are badly written?

Swordguy
2007-07-14, 11:38 PM
Oh, and have I introduced myself? My name is Mark Hall, and I write for Palladium. Would you care to explain how the books are badly written?

I've never gotten to say this on the interwebs before, and fully expect to never say it again, but:

Ohhhh, snap!

Anyway, they aren't badly written. They've been poorly edited (most of my stuff is mid-90's vintage), and occasionally unclear (the combat rules can be tricky unless you've got someone who knows them already - they whole idea of "you hit on a 5" and the multi-layered defenses of parry/dodge/roll can be confusing), and there have been some severe problems with copy-pasting sections of text from other books, but the books are overall pretty good. I'll not comment on power creep, but, as you said, that's evidently been noticed and is being corrected.

I have issues with the entirety of the SDC/MDC system (such as there's no point in having normal, SDC PCs in an MDC game like Rifts - but they're perfectly viable in some Heroes Unlimited games and in others, such as Robotech), but it's workable. Overall, you guys have done pretty well. The books are fun to read, even when I'm not playing, and that's about the best way to judge one's writing, eh?

Diggorian
2007-07-15, 12:58 AM
Which books did you contribute on , Nexx?

Rob Knotts
2007-07-15, 01:06 AM
Oh, and have I introduced myself? My name is Mark Hall, and I write for Palladium. Would you care to explain how the books are badly written?Well, let's look at some excerpts from two RPG.net reviews (http://www.rpg.net/reviews/search-review.phtml?reviewerName=Mark%20Hall). They aren't for Rifts specifically, but they do criticise some significant writing errors from thethe same company and the same base Palladium system:REVIEW OF BEYOND THE SUPERNATURAL, 2ND EDITION

Capsule Review
Mark Hall
August 15, 2005

Style: 4 (Classy & Well Done)
Substance: 3 (Average)

A ressurection of Palladium's classic horror game, BTS-2 still delivers, even though the ruleset is showing its age.

Mark Hall has written 2 reviews, with average style of 3.50 and average substance of 3.50.

This review has been read 3637 times.

(Excerpt starts here, boldface emphasis mine)
Combat skills are of the new style (beginning with three or four attacks per melee), but still suffer from poor design, in my opinion.Certain levels will be pointless to some characters, under relatively common circumstances (e.g. level 3 Hand to Hand: Basic provides only a kick attack, which a person skilled in Gymnastics or Acrobatics has had since learning the skill). Other Hand to Hand skills lack basic skills (such as Hand to Hand Assassin not providing the ability to perform a critical strike from behind), or weird situations with special attacks (such as Hand to Hand Commando being 10% more likely to Death Blow than Critical Strike from levels 9-14).

Armor is still based on the venerable AR system; this is less of a problem with BTS-2’s generally lower strike bonuses, though it still leaves armor an all-or-nothing proposition; it either stops everything, or nothing. On the whole, combat is marginally improved, but all of that is in terms of good advice and ranged combat; melee combat, armor, and combat skills remain mediocre.
REVIEW OF THE NORTHERN HINTERLANDS

Capsule Review
Mark Hall
September 30, 2005

Style: 3 (Average)
Substance: 4 (Meaty)

Full of excellent ideas, this book struggles with layout and some oversights.

Mark Hall has written 2 reviews, with average style of 3.50 and average substance of 3.50. The reviewer's previous review was of Beyond the Supernatural, 2nd edition.

This review has been read 1893 times.

(Excerpt starts here, boldface emphasis mine)
Next comes a series on the Kiridin, a group of Barbarians who inhabit the land just to the east of the Shadow Colonies. The Barbarian Warrior OCC is listed first, and is better balanced than I originally gave it credit for; I missed the notation that only 3 of the 8 abilities were available to any given Barbarian Warrior. In the rest of the section, however, things seem to be forgotten. It is mentioned on page 182 that natural magical powers are not trusted by the Kiridin, but it is also noted that some 20% of the Kiridin are Orc or Goblin, and some of those Goblins will likely be born with Cobbler abilities. How are they regarded? The Rat King of the Murdigan is listed as being a Wereshaman (an OCC from Mount Nimro), but with the parenthetical note of (Werewolf). Does this mean that his primary totem is Canine? What about secondary totems? Or does this mean that he's also a werewolf? Lastly, the "Three Furies" of the Ogenheim supposedly won't adopt individual identities, they are listed by three different names, which certainly seems like an element of individual identity. These questions beg to be answered, since they are rather integral to the politics of the region and proper playing of someone from Kiridin.I would say these are good examples of poor writing found in all of Palladium's game lines.

MrNexx
2007-07-15, 01:19 AM
Which books did you contribute on , Nexx?

Mysteries of Magic, which hasn't been printed yet, and a couple of the PDFs.

MrNexx
2007-07-15, 01:22 AM
I would say these are good examples of poor writing found in all of Palladium's game lines.

The first I would put down, not to a writing problem (as the previous poster was), but to a system problem, which is separate. The second, yeah, is a writing problem, but it's one that I've actually not seen as frequently... things will be left undefined, but not left completely out.

EDIT: author changed to previous poster for clarity of meaning.

Rob Knotts
2007-07-15, 01:58 AM
The first I would put down, not to a writing problem (as the author was), but to a system problem, which is separate.
:smallconfused:

Best as I can tell, you're the same Mark Hall who wrote both of those reviews.

MrNexx
2007-07-15, 02:28 AM
:smallconfused:

Best as I can tell, you're the same Mark Hall who wrote both of those reviews.

I am. However, the first is a system problem; armor is all or nothing, and the hand to hand skills are useless, at certain levels, to certain characters.

The second is a writing problem. There's information that's important to the book left out.

Unless, of course, you're talking about the reviews themselves?

horseboy
2007-07-15, 11:51 AM

Hey, can you thank the guys there for actually being able to find Poplar Bluff, MO on a map, let alone letting us do something cool. I don't live there now, but it really made the setting "come alive" when it was something going on down the street.

The only real problems I had with it were systematic. You know, you hit a giant bug with a ball of plasma and we wind up killing off every cat girl in the multiverse instead of the Xiatic arguing over how it survived huge chunks of it's body rapidly vaporized. Also, some of the systems (had Rifts, TMNT and Robotech) allowed you to be able to add your IQ bonus to skills, some didn't. I liked adding the bonus, helped make you different from someone of your same level/class.

Granted I stopped reading a little after Germany. I liked Germany because it put the focus back on humanity, less on giant monsters. There were just too many books, and several of them were loopy, I mean, come on, Dolphin R.C.C?

MrNexx
2007-07-15, 03:18 PM
The only real problems I had with it were systematic. You know, you hit a giant bug with a ball of plasma and we wind up killing off every cat girl in the multiverse instead of the Xiatic arguing over how it survived huge chunks of it's body rapidly vaporized. Also, some of the systems (had Rifts, TMNT and Robotech) allowed you to be able to add your IQ bonus to skills, some didn't. I liked adding the bonus, helped make you different from someone of your same level/class.

Really, I don't know of any of their games, using the Megaversal system, which don't allow IQ for skills, provided it was high enough; Recon might not, but I've never played it.

Granted I stopped reading a little after Germany. I liked Germany because it put the focus back on humanity, less on giant monsters. There were just too many books, and several of them were loopy, I mean, come on, Dolphin R.C.C?

The dolphin thing could be seen as weird, but in the context of a book about the oceans, in a world where genetic modification had been commonplace before the Coming of the Rifts? I'll just chalk that one up to preference and whistle "So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish." ;-) I'd personally never want to play one, but as a GM, I'd want to know what they know if I need an NPC.

horseboy
2007-07-15, 03:25 PM
Really, I don't know of any of their games, using the Megaversal system, which don't allow IQ for skills, provided it was high enough; Recon might not, but I've never played it.

Yeah, I don't remember which exactly it was (it's been 10 or so years). I thought they all did, but I was dinking with characters and couldn't find it. It probably was just something that got overlooked.

The dolphin thing could be seen as weird, but in the context of a book about the oceans, in a world where genetic modification had been commonplace before the Coming of the Rifts? I'll just chalk that one up to preference and whistle "So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish." ;-) I'd personally never want to play one, but as a GM, I'd want to know what they know if I need an NPC.

Yeah, more things (I believe) needed to be presented as npc classes rather than playable classes. That way it could have helped slow down the creep.

MrNexx
2007-07-15, 03:51 PM
Yeah, more things (I believe) needed to be presented as npc classes rather than playable classes. That way it could have helped slow down the creep.

Then we go back to the concepts of Palladium; balance is a function of the GM, not the game system, and most things are playable. It's similar to what 3.5 did with most monster races... I can play a titan, if I want to... but with the assumption that the GM, not the system, will balance the game.

Matthew
2007-07-16, 10:09 PM
In all seriousness, it's my opinion that the rules for Rifts are so superfluous to the setting that if the books contained nothing but fluff text, no game mechanics of any kind, Rifts would literally be just as playable as a stand-alone game. The setting is just so wacky* it really defies any mechanics more complicated than FUDGE:smallwink:

*It's probably been 20 years since I last used the word "wacky", but no other term seemed as appropriate.
I think I would tend to agree wholeheartedly with this. Rifts was a fantastic sourcebook for ideas.