PDA

View Full Version : Assorted Magic [Items]

The Demented One
2007-07-13, 04:39 PM
Amulet of Heroes
An Amulet Heroes is a golden talisman, engraved with the faces of four might heroes of ages past–a valiant Warrior, a cunning Trickster, an erudite Sage, and a pious Priest. As a standard action, the bearer of the amulet may invoke one of the four heroes. Once a hero has been invoked, it remains so for 24 hours. The wearer may only invoke a single hero each day.

The benefits provided by the amulet depend on which hero is invoked. If the Warrior is invoked, then the wearer gains a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength. He also gains 25 temporary hp which last for as long as the Warrior remains invoked. In addition, the wearer becomes proficient with all simple and martial weapons, and also with all light and medium shields and armors.

If the Trickster is invoked, then the wearer gains a +2 enhancement bonus to Dexterity. He also gains a +4 competence bonus on all Hide, Move Silently, and Open Lock checks. Finally, he gains sneak attack +1d6.

If the Sage is invoked, then the wearer gains a +2 enhancement bonus to Intelligence. In addition, he may use a single spell of 2nd-level or lower from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list as a spell-like ability. The spell-like ability has a caster level of 5th, and a DC equal to 10 + the spell’s level + the wearer’s Intelligence modifier. The wearer cannot use spell with expensive material components or foci, or with an XP cost. Once the wearer uses a spell, he cannot use another until he invokes the Sage again.

If the Priest is invoked, then the wearer gains a +2 enhancement bonus to Wisdom. He may turn undead as a 5th level Cleric a number of times during the duration of the invocation equal to 3 + his Charisma modifier.

Moderate Transmutation, CL 5th. Craft Wondrous Item, bull’s strength, cat’s grace, fox’s cunning, owl’s wisdom. Cost 6,250 gp + 500 xp. Price 12,500 gp.

Bracers of Elongation
Bracers of Elongation are long, flexible armguards made of bronze chain mail. Any creature that wears them finds that its arms lengthen as soon as he puts them on, becoming much longer. The reach of any creature wearing Bracers of Elongation increases by 5 ft.

Faint Transmutation, CL 5th. Craft Wondrous Item, enlarge person. Cost 2,500 gp + 200 xp. Price 5,000 gp.

Calling Card
A Calling Card is a small, pasteboard card, marked with the arcane mark of its creator. A character can tear the card in half in order to teleport the card’s creator to his location, as the greater teleport spell. When the card is torn, the creator learns the location of the card and gets a mental image of the character that tore the card, and may choose whether or not to teleport there.

Strong Conjuration, CL 13th. Craft Wondrous Item, greater teleport. Cost 2,500 gp +200 xp. Price 5,000 gp.

Chest of Concealment
A Chest of Concealment appears to be nothing more than an poorly-made, empty chest, though careful examination reveals that its lock is of excellent quality. Despite its unremarkable appearance, however, it possess powerful qualities, which make it a favorite of smugglers and thieves. Any item placed within the chest becomes invisible for as long as it remains in the chest, even if the chest is opened. In addition, even if it is removed from the chest, it remains invisible for up to 5 rounds thereafter. In addition, any item within the chest is masked from divination as by the obscure object spell.

Faint Abjuration and Illusion, CL 5th. Craft Wondrous Item, invisibility, obscure object. Cost 4,000 gp + 320 xp. Price 8,000 gp.

Copycat Charm
A Copycat Charm is a small tongue stud made of silver polished to a mirror-sheen. The wearer of a Copycat Charm can repeat perfectly anything he has heard, even if it is in another language.

Faint Illusion, CL 5th. Craft Wondrous Item, ghost sound. Cost 150 gp + 12 xp. Price 300 gp.

Doppelscroll
This single scroll, made from the skin of a doppelganger, can actually contain an almost limitless number of spells. The scroll may have a spell scribed on just as with a normal spellbook, except that the spell takes up only one page and that no costly inks are required to scribe the scroll–the skin’s own shapeshifting properties form the glyphs of the spell. By giving a command word, the scroll can be made to go blank, allowing another spell to be scribed, and so on. By giving another command word, any spell that has been scribed on the scroll can be recalled. In this way, a wizard may substitute a Doppelscroll for a normal spellbook when preparing spells. Up to 100 spells may be scribed on a Doppelscroll. Though it appears to be a scroll, spells scribed on it cannot be cast from it, only prepared.

Faint Transmutation, CL 5th. Craft Wondrous Item, secret page. Cost 6,000 gp + 480 xp. Price 12,000 gp.

Elixer of Holding
By drinking an Elixer of Holding, a creature can create a small pocket dimension within its gut, perfect for concealing items. The pocket dimension, much like that within a Bag of Holding, has a volume of 250 cubic feet, and can hold up to 1,500 lbs. of items. In order to place an item in the pocket dimension, you must simply swallow it, a standard action. Large or bulky items may not be able to swallowed, based on the size of the swallower–a Medium creature that uses an Elixer of Holding might be able to swallow a wand or a shortsword, but not a suit of full plate. Once the user has swallowed an item, he may regurgitate it as a standard action. The pocket dimension created lasts for 24 hours. Once its duration ends, the user immediately doubles over, and regurgitates any items that were left in the pocket dimension at a rate of 1 item per round. While regurgitating these items, he can take no other actions.

Moderate Conjuration, CL 9th. Craft Wondrous Item, secret chest. Cost 250 gp + 20 xp. Price 500 gp.

Grappling Rod
A Grappling Rod is little more than a light mithral rod with a grappling hook mounted at its head. By giving a command word, the hook may be fired from the rod. The user of the rod receives a +20 competence bonus on the Use Rope check to successfully use it. The rod magically creates rope, allowing the hook to go up to 150 ft. without running out of rope.

Moderate Conjuration and Transmutation, CL 7th. Craft Rod, animate rope, minor creation. Cost 1,500 gp + 120 xp. Price 3,000 gp.

Psychic Paper
A sheet of Psychic Paper is almost indistinguishable from a blank sheet any other paper. However, if the user of the paper verbally suggests that something is written on the paper - for example, some form of identification or license - then anyone who looks at the paper must make a DC 14 Will save, or have their perceptions fooled, making it seem as if the paper is as it was suggested. Once a character successfully saves against a piece of Psychic Paper's effects, then he does not need to make an further saves against it, even if another verbal suggestion is made.

Faint Enchantment and Illusion, CL 5th. Craft Wondrous Item, silent image, suggestion. Cost 500 gp + 40 xp. Price 1,000 gp.

Shield Gauntlet
A Shield Gauntlet at first appears to be nothing more than a single adamantine gauntlet, with a mithral disc set in its palm. However, by pressing down on the mithral disc as a swift action, the gauntlet’s wielder can transform it into a +1 adamantine tower shield. The tower shield can be reverted to gauntlet form as a swift action.

Moderate Transmutation, CL 9th. Craft Magic Arms and Armor, fabricate. Cost 3,750 gp + 300 xp. Price 7,500 gp.

Teabag of Steaming Breath
The drinker of a cup of tea made from a Teabag of Steaming Breath may breath out a 30 ft. cone of steam. The tea must be drunk while it is still hot to grant the breath weapon. The area of the breath weapon is covered in steam, which functions as the obscuring mist spell, and creatures within the steam take 1 point of heat damage each round. The breath weapon may only be used once. If it is not used within 24 hours of drinking the tea, it is lost. Each teabag is sufficient to produce a single cup of tea.

Faint Conjuration and Evocation, CL 5th. Craft Wondrous Item, burning hands, obscuring mist. Cost 150 gp + 12 xp. Price 300 gp.

Thorncomb
Once per day, when the command word is given and this fine ebony comb is dropped to the ground, it transforms into a wall of thorns, as the spell, shaped to the desire of its owner. If the wall is destroyed, the comb immediately reverts back to its normal form and cannot be used again for a week. Otherwise, it reverts back to comb form after an hour and a half or when its owner gives a second command word.

Moderate Conjuration, CL 9th. Craft Wondrous Item, wall of thorns. Cost 9,000 gp + 720 xp. Price 18,000 gp.

DracoDei
2007-07-13, 10:52 PM
Need to specify the duration of the hot steam from the teabag-breath weapon.

Creative items... is the comb a fairy-tale classic(Russian???)?

Zeta Kai
2007-07-13, 11:19 PM
Fabulous items, o Demented One. Wonderful, one & all!

A suggestion, though. Perhaps for the Amulet of Heroes, you could add an enhancement for Constitution & Charisma? Perhaps a mighty Barbarian & a charming Bard? I don't think that it would make the item broken, & it would certainly cover all of the bases, ability wise. Just a thought.

Regarding the Grappling Rod, I see that someone fancied the Hookshot from the Legend of Zelda games. Very nice. My rogue would kill (literally) for such a thing.

The Demented One
2007-07-13, 11:33 PM
Need to specify the duration of the hot steam from the teabag-breath weapon.
It's the same as that of obscuring mist.

Is the comb a fairy-tale classic(Russian???)?
Yep.

A suggestion, though. Perhaps for the Amulet of Heroes, you could add an enhancement for Constitution & Charisma? Perhaps a mighty Barbarian & a charming Bard? I don't think that it would make the item broken, & it would certainly cover all of the bases, ability wise. Just a thought.
I was thinking I would just cover the standard 4 roles, although I guess I might do something like that.

Bloody_Dagger
2007-07-14, 12:35 AM
I like the Elixir Of Holding, I can only imagine the possibilities....

Joltz
2007-07-14, 12:59 AM
I like the Elixir Of Holding, I can only imagine the possibilities....
I was thinking about how much fun it could be too. Then I thought about how bad it could be if it accidentally ended early

"someone doesn't like your buffs, you got hit with a targeted dispell magic from NPC W"

"I gotta puke up all my treasure before I can do anything else! :smalleek:"

mikoto
2007-07-14, 04:37 PM
With Elixer of holding what happens if shrink item has been cast on an item, the creature swallows it, and then the enchantment wears off making the object too large to regurgitate. What happens if the character swallows another dimensional space(bag of holding, a portable hole etc.). Can he character eat during the time?

Demented
2007-07-14, 04:56 PM
There's nothing saying you can't regurgitate an overly-large item. You only can't swallow them.

Thexare Blademoon
2007-07-14, 05:16 PM
Psychic Paper
A sheet of Psychic Paper is almost indistinguishable from a blank sheet any other paper. However, if the user of the paper verbally suggests that something is written on the paper - for example, some form of identification or license - then anyone who looks at the paper must make a DC 14 Will save, or have their perceptions fooled, making it seem as if the paper is as it was suggested. Once a character successfully saves against a piece of Psychic Paper's effects, then he does not need to make an further saves against it, even if another verbal suggestion is made.

Faint Enchantment and Illusion, CL 5th. Craft Wondrous Item, silent image, suggestion. Cost 500 gp + 40 xp. Price 1,000 gp.

So it's a teenage Sorcerer's fake ID, then, right? :smallbiggrin:

DracoDei
2007-07-14, 05:42 PM
Basically, yes (probably among other things). I think it is from Dr. Who.

Triaxx
2007-07-14, 05:55 PM
We could use a long shot though. Perhaps allowing up to 450 feet of rope, with a higher bonus to Use Rope?

DracoDei
2007-07-14, 06:37 PM
... why do I suspect you are kidding?
+20 is pretty huge I would say...
and 150' is nothing to sneeze at either...
Maybe make Greater, "normal". and Lesser versions.

The Demented One
2007-07-14, 07:46 PM
Basically, yes (probably among other things). I think it is from Dr. Who.
Yup.

We could use a long shot though. Perhaps allowing up to 450 feet of rope, with a higher bonus to Use Rope?
I can't really see any scenario when that would be necessary.

Zeta Kai
2007-07-14, 07:55 PM
If a +20 on Use Rope & 150' aren't enough, you need a fly spell.

The Demented One
2007-07-14, 10:46 PM
Added the Chest of Concealment.

Triaxx
2007-07-15, 08:10 AM
True, but I've had opportunity where my Sorceror and Cleric were out of commission, former dead, latter cursed with silence. I had to climb a wall to rescue the princess who had the key to the magic sword (which functioned as a perfectly good longsword), which could break the curse.

And 200' feet of rope wasn't quite enough. I ended up with the fighter on the Paladin, and the rogue on top of them, to get the required height.

But you're right, a higher bonus wouldn't be any help. Might be great for Airship boarding actions though.