PDA

View Full Version : Mutants and Masterminds

VenomTongue
2016-11-14, 12:53 PM
So I am about to join a Mutants and Masterminds game.
We have to build two characters (lack of players). So I decided to play buddy cops.
You know contrasting opposites that compliment each other.
So currently the idea I have is to play an angel and a demon. The backstory is that some evil spellcaster out there sold his soul to the devil, but now he is really close to becoming immortal.
Becoming immortal means he never dies, and hell never gets to collect his soul. The angel just wants to kill this guy because an immortal evil spellcaster would upset the balance. So a compact was reached where by a joint team would be established to kill this guy.
So the idea I have is loosely based on the FMA:Brotherhood characters Solf J. Kimblee, and General Olivier Armstrong.
The demon would be a smooth talking tempter. "Hey buddy you could guard this or you could shoot up some sweet, sweet heroin."
The angel was going to be tough as nails lady ready to fight and do whatever it takes to defeat the enemy, emphasis on violence.

So I was wondering how you guys thought I should build my characters.
The characters are Power Level 10.

Grod_The_Giant
2016-11-14, 06:16 PM
Note: I don't know what edition you're using here; I'm going to give my response assuming it's 3e because that's the one I know.

The smooth talking devil, it seems to me, should be built around mind control powers-- Subtle, Insidious mind control powers. How 'bout an array like so, for 37 power points? This stolen directly from one of my villains.

Honeyed Words: Perception (Hearing) Affliction 10 (Entranced, Compelled, Controlled; resisted and overcome by Will), Selective, Subtle, Insidious. Start talking and anyone who hears you will (hopefully) fall under your spell.
Biting Words: Perception Affliction 12 (Dazed, Stunned; Will), Sense-Dependent (Hearing); linked to Perception Damage 12, Alternate Resistance (Will), Sense-Dependent (Hearing), Subtle, Insidious.
Would You Hit Him, Please?: Perception Damage 10, Limited: must be within range of a secondary target not immune to mental effects, Limited: only up to damage value of secondary target's attack, Variable Descriptor 1 (secondary target's attack), Subtle, Insidious. This is the one I think is really clever. You order someone to turn and shoot their ally... and they do, and there's nothing anyone can do to stop it. There are no saves because the power doesn't actually target anyone but the person getting hit.
Don't Shoot Him, Shoot Mim!: Deflect 10, Ranged, Redirect, Sense-Dependent (Hearing), Subtle, Insidious.
Do You See What I See?: Illusion 10 (all senses), Sense Dependent (Hearing), Reduced Duration (Concentration), Subtle, [I don't think Insidious applies]

You could also maybe even work up a "wish granting" power of some sort. Create, Precise, Permanent should let you make real objects of quite significant detail. Invest heavily in Presence (or better yet, the three social skills individually-- if you examine the Presence skill as a package deal, it basically wastes 0.5 points/rank)

The angel could be... anything, really. What are you envisioning by "tough as nails fighter lady?" Some Imperious Toughness and Regeneration will make you pretty hard to keep down; maybe add a flaming sword (Strength-Based Damage, Secondary Effect, perhaps?) or some holy blasty magic?