PDA

View Full Version : List of Languages

j_spencer93
2016-11-14, 01:12 PM
I have a player who's character wants to learn the languages throughout the game and I am not sure what all there is. I want languages even just mentioned in creature stories.

Common
Dwarvish
Elvish
Giant
Gnomish
Goblin
Halfling
Orc
Draconic

Primordial (Not a single creature speakks it; divided into the four below)

Aquan

Auran

Ignan

Terran
infernal
Abyssal
Celestial
Deep Speech
Sylvan
Undercommon
Gnoll
Worg
White Wolf?
Yeti?
Bullywug
Gith
Grell
Hook Horror
Modron
Otyugh
Sahuagin
Sladd
Sphinx
Thri-Kreen
Toglodyte
Umber Hulk
Grung
Tlincalli
Vegepygmy
Blink Dog
Giant Elk
Giant Eagle
Giant Owl

Druidic
Theive's Cant

Biggstick
2016-11-14, 01:32 PM
Primordial actually covers all the elemental languages.

I think I remember a thread a while back that was trying to find a way to start with the highest amount of languages. I think it was something like Half Elf Knowledge Cleric (at least 1)//Mastermind Rogue (at least 3) with a background that grants 2 languages (Acolyte/Sage/etc). This combination would start with 7 languages at level 1 and have 9 at level 4.

You could always just run a Tongues + Comprehend Languages spell combination to pick up the languages you don't have already.

Or play a Monk at high levels.

j_spencer93
2016-11-14, 01:34 PM
Except not a single creature speaks primordial, which is lame that any character speaking it suddenly speaks four different languages. Just my opinion though.

JellyPooga
2016-11-14, 01:38 PM
Primordial actually covers all the elemental languages.

I think I remember a thread a while back that was trying to find a way to start with the highest amount of languages. I think it was something like Half Elf Knowledge Cleric (at least 1)//Mastermind Rogue (at least 3) with a background that grants 2 languages (Acolyte/Sage/etc). This combination would start with 7 languages at level 1 and have 9 at level 4.

You could always just run a Tongues + Comprehend Languages spell combination to pick up the languages you don't have already.

Or play a Monk at high levels.

Rangers also get bonus languages; at 1st, 6th and 14th.

Tongues and/or Comprehend Languages is probably the easiest way to go, though.

Naanomi
2016-11-14, 01:58 PM
My list from the monster manual; doesn't have Volos yet...

Bullywug, Gith, Gnoll, Grell, Hook Horror, Modron, Otyugh, Sahaugin, Slaad, Sphinx, Thri-Kreen, Troglodyte, Umberhulk, Yeti, Blink Dog, Giant Elk, Giant Eagle, Giant Owl, Winter Wolf, Worg

Also, I think one of the Night Hag and Kraken speak Primordeal (not a dialect)

Millstone85
2016-11-14, 02:05 PM
Except not a single creature speaks primordial, which is lame that any character speaking it suddenly speaks four different languages. Just my opinion though.I think Aquan, Auran, Ignan and Terran are like Belgian French, Canadian French, Metropolitan French and Swiss French.

It is basically the same language but then a particular word or idiom leaves the other speakers completely lost.

Regitnui
2016-11-14, 02:47 PM
I think Aquan, Auran, Ignan and Terran are like Belgian French, Canadian French, Metropolitan French and Swiss French.

It is basically the same language but then a particular word or idiom leaves the other speakers completely lost.

By canon, Aquan, Auran, Ignan and Terrain are dialects; akin to American, Australian, South African and British English. All mutually intelligible, so an Azer can speak to a Dao if they met in Sigil, but with differing slang and idioms. It's a holdover from 4e, which had all the elemental planes mixed into the Elemental Chaos and had no 'pure' elementals until something like MM3. Before that, the four elemental language were considered separate; the Azer and Dao would have to communicate in Common or a different shared language.

Beleriphon
2016-11-14, 04:06 PM
M...Giant Elk...

It amuses me to no end that giant elk have their own language.

Millstone85
2016-11-14, 04:19 PM
I think Aquan, Auran, Ignan and Terran are like Belgian French, Canadian French, Metropolitan French and Swiss French.
By canon, Aquan, Auran, Ignan and Terrain are dialects; akin to American, Australian, South African and British English.You say "tomato", je dis "tomate". :smalltongue:

It's a holdover from 4e, which had all the elemental planes mixed into the Elemental Chaos and had no 'pure' elementals until something like MM3. Before that, the four elemental language were considered separate; the Azer and Dao would have to communicate in Common or a different shared language.Interesting.

Another weird thing with 4e languages is that the edition made no mention of Undercommon, while Deep Speech was given a written form by the drow. The two were merged, it seems.

Now, I kind of like the idea of Undercommon as a version of Deep Speech with most of the madness expunged, and I would suggest it to the OP and their player.